rrdtool 1.6.0 versus rrdtool 1.5.0

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

GlueGuy
Cacti User

rrdtool 1.6.0 versus rrdtool 1.5.0

Post by GlueGuy »

I'm setting up a new cacti server, and one of the snags is the latest rrdtool in Debian distribution is 1.6.0. Unfortunately cacti only allows up to 1.5.0.

Is the solution to downgrade to 1.5.0 rrdtool, or hack cacti to accept 1.6.0?

TIA!
---------
The Glue Guy
cigamit
Developer

Re: rrdtool 1.6.0 versus rrdtool 1.5.0

Post by cigamit »

You just need to update your Cacti to a newer version too.
rrdtool.png
rrdtool.png (6.52 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
GlueGuy
Cacti User

Post by GlueGuy »

Yeah. Something else is going on. Remnants of 0.8.8 are still there even though I did a complete replacement with 1.1.13. Not sure what's going on, as this is the first time I've installed on a Debian system.
---------
The Glue Guy
GlueGuy
Cacti User

Post by GlueGuy »

I think I found the source of some of my issues. I'm generally unfamiliar with Debian; all previous experience has been on CentOS, and earlier versions of apache.

What I've discovered is that the web sites under /var/www/html on Debian/Apache2 are actually cached in /usr/share/cacti/site. So when I moved 0.8.8h to /var/www/html/cacti_old, and put 1.1.13 in /var/www/html/cacti, all the old cacti files were still living in /usr/share/cacti/site.

It's not clear to me what I need to do to apache2 to make it "forget" about the old cacti. I've been poking around, and I haven't found the key yet. So clearly I'm still dealing with (at least part of) a mixed version cacti environment.
---------
The Glue Guy
GlueGuy
Cacti User

Post by GlueGuy »

My conclusion at this point is to live with Apache2/Debian 9, and put all of cacti in /usr/share/cacti/site, and forget about /var/www/html/cacti

-OR-

teach Apache2/Debian 9 that the 'cacti' alias actually goes to /var/www/html/cacti.

At this point, I've chosen the latter, as I'm familiar with manipulating my web sites in the standard place. You just have to edit the cacti alias in the Apache2 configuration to point to /var/www/html/cacti. Almost all of the other things that Apache2 knows about are in /usr/share.

It seems to be working (mostly). I'm having some troubles with SNMP queries not working, and still some latent issues getting the THOLD plugin throwing exceptions. However, the poller (spine) is working, and the cacti system seems to be mostly together.
---------
The Glue Guy