no rrd file, no graph

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

deanpence

no rrd file, no graph

Post by deanpence »

I've created a new graph (my first in cacti), and though I believe I've followed instructions correctly, I do not see an rrd file in the filesystem and, of course, I see no graph.

In particular, I created a new data input method (script/command with 2 args), a new data template, a new data source, a new graph template, and a new graph, but I get nada.

I have several example graphs for localhost that are working fine, but this one does not show up.

In the system utilities, I see the data source name, the RRD file path, and the action with the path to the script as the last listed in the poller cache. However, when I look at what the poller actually does in the cacti log, the script is never run. It doesn't show up at all.

Any thoughts?
deanpence

Post by deanpence »

So I've started from scratch with this and followed the directions in the manual from the "Simplest Method of Going from Script to Graph (Walkthrough)" section. I follow the instructions explicitly, but when I get to creating the graph items in the graph, I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

ERROR: opening '/var/www/localhost/htdocs/cacti/rra/nypa051_rmas_mem_total_14.rrd': No such file or directory
The pollar cache lists my new data source, but the cacti log indicates it never runs it (and never even indicates an error running it). Here's an excerpt:

02/22/2005 03:36:05 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time: 3.0791 s, Method: cmd.php, Processes: 1, Threads: N/A, Hosts: 3, Hosts/Process: 3
02/22/2005 03:36:04 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 2.1521 s, Theads: N/A, Hosts: 2
02/22/2005 03:34:05 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time: 3.0601 s, Method: cmd.php, Processes: 1, Threads: N/A, Hosts: 3, Hosts/Process: 3
02/22/2005 03:34:04 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 2.1129 s, Theads: N/A, Hosts: 2
(Obviously, the graph image is broken when trying to view it from the graph tree.)

I would really love to use cacti, but I haven't been able to make it work doing anything except the built-in localhost scripts that come with it. Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? Thanks!
tovythomas

Post by tovythomas »

From inside the cacti directory., try running php poller.php and see if you get some indications of an update. Then check the rra directory and see if your rrd files are showing a date and timestamp of your last poller run.

I am still working on a problem, where my poller isnt running except for when I run it manually. Just a thought.
deanpence

Post by deanpence »

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one would. :)

I've run poller.php manually before to see what it was doing, and it gives me no indication that it's running much of anything:

root@foo:cacti> php poller.php
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
02/22/2005 06:13:42 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time: 3.0271 s, Method: cmd.php, Processes: 1, Threads: N/A, Hosts: 3, Hosts/Process: 3
And I've checked the rra directory as well. There is no .rrd file there, and using the three methods I've tried, none is ever created unless I create it myself (by copying the command in the data source screen in debug mode). In any case, it's never updated with any actual data when it does exist.
tovythomas

Post by tovythomas »

Can you tell me what OS you are using, as well as PHP version and mysql. I am new to this myself so I dont know how much help I will be.

You can check the php version by typing php -v from the command line.

I believe if you do a mysql -v it will bring up the sql monitor which will show you the version also.

Something to check maybe to make sure is that the user for your poller is the same user that has rights to rra and log directories in cacti.
deanpence

Post by deanpence »

I'm running Gentoo Linux with PHP 5.0.3 and MySQL 4.1.8. The poller is running from root's crontab, so I'm positive that poller.php has access to the same files/directories as the cacti website.

As I said before, poller.php doesn't even attempt to run anything for this data source, even though it shows up in the poller cache.
deanpence

Post by deanpence »

It appears that I've solved this, although I'm not positive how.

I installed cacti on another machine, created the graph as in the instructions, and it worked without a hitch. I went back to the original install, changed nothing except assigning the graph to "localhost", and it worked.

This morning, it quit working, and I recreated the graph with no host, and it appears to be working fine.

I won't mark this topic as solved quite yet until I'm sure it's going to work.