Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

n0taz

autodetect maximum bandwidth for weathermap links

Post by n0taz »

Hi!

Inthe first, sorry for my english.

I try find solution for this:

I have ip/mpls network, based on cisco76xx, cisco asr9k, cisco crs, juniper mx480, juniper mx960 devices. For weathermap i use aggregation links (for example port channel, bundle ethernet on cisco or aeX on juniper devices).

Task: I have 1 aggregation link 100G, he is consist of 10x10G fysical links. In weathermap's configuration of this link i have a parameter "maximum bandwidth" for this link, where i need put manual "100000M".

Bu i want know how i can use auto detection of maximum bandwidht (only for weathermap shows, not for graphs). Because i have a next problem:

for example, when 8x10G in this aggregation channel is DOWN (cut) - weathermap show utilization 20% (20G working) and show me blue or green color for this link, but i need see red color for this.

When I ssh or telnet for routers with same situation (80G at link is down, 20G is up) and type "show interface port-channel 10" i wiil see that maximum bandwidth is 200000000 bits, and i can get this iformation via snmpwalk, this is not secret. When 80G will up, i will see 1000000000 bits bandwidth.

How I can determine maximum bandwidth of links automatic? :)
nobody is perfect
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: autodetect maximum bandwidth for weathermap links

Post by Howie »

At the moment, the answer is 'sort of'. If you use the poller_output features in Weathermap's rrd data source, then it can fetch things like ifSpeed from Cacti's cache of SNMP data. It has another feature to use ifSpeed to set the BANDWIDTH for a link. *However*, as far as I know, Cacti only updates that cached information when you tell it to, so it wouldn't update automatically when a link drops out of the etherchannel.

In general, you can't use tokens in BANDWIDTH because it would require two passes to read data, currently. It could be changed to do all the reads, and THEN calculate all the percentages, which might allow you to do things like this. There are enough useful cases (e.g. disk space) that I'll take a look.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
tcprado

Post by tcprado »

I have many links in my weathermap and cacti knows the bandwidth for all of them. Is it possible to get this information into the LINK section of each LINK and have it automatically pull from cacti, without manually statin which are 100M, 1000M or 10M?

By the way, superb work on this weathermap plugin.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Sort of... if you are using the poller_output support, there is an additional option to fetch the cached ifSpeed information from the Cacti database and use that in Weathermap.

You can find more info (and an example) in the manual, here:
http://network-weathermap.com/manual/0. ... llerextras
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
tcprado

Post by tcprado »

Howie wrote:Sort of... if you are using the poller_output support, there is an additional option to fetch the cached ifSpeed information from the Cacti database and use that in Weathermap.

You can find more info (and an example) in the manual, here:
http://network-weathermap.com/manual/0. ... llerextras
I found it later on, you mean

SET cacti_use_ifspeed 1

If I use it, then I get things like 3000%. But I believe this is a problem with cacti polling ifSpeed, right?
tcprado

Post by tcprado »

ifSpeed is reported correctly in cacti though. If I try to use it as graph template upper limit, I get the same results. ifSpeed looks like it is 1.
Attachments
Capturar.PNG
Capturar.PNG (36.23 KiB) Viewed 2724 times