PIX 515 6.3(3) initial setup for SNMP

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

churchi

PIX 515 6.3(3) initial setup for SNMP

Post by churchi »

Good afternoon guys,

now i have read over lots of pix posts and i can't get seem to get the pix to respond to the snmp requests. i add the pix to the devices but always says snmp error when trying to get the device info.

so i am guessing that i haven't got the snmp setup on there correctly. now my cacti box is sitting behind the PIX on a VLAN sub interface. do you think this could be the problem?

or does anyone have some simple steps on setting up snmp and cacti on the pix please.

thank you
churchi

Post by churchi »

i gues my next question would be, has onyone out there got their cacti server behind their PIX and monitoring that same PIX?

i have my cacti box on a VLAN behind our PIX. Does anyone out there have this setup and still monitor that same PIX?

Thanks
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Can you do an snmpget -c <yourcommunity> -v <yourversion> <yourpix> sysUpTime and let me know what comes back.

Thanks,

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
gkuchera

Post by gkuchera »

In order for a pix to respond to snmp requests you must define the snmp server in the pix. Such as below: In this case the snmp (cacti) machine is on the ip address of: 192.168.25.1. You must also assign a community as shown, public is the community used here:

(On the Pix Firewall)
snmp-server host inside 192.168.25.1
snmp-server community public

-Geoff Kuchera
Geoff Kuchera
MLT Vacations, Inc.
churchi

Post by churchi »

gkuchera, mate you were SPOT ON!! thanks mate for that.

TheWitness thank you for the comman line option. that helped to see if what gkuchera had got me to do was working.

i got all the 3 graphs of connections, mem and cpu.

just one other question, if i wan't to do the in/out + total BW thats going through our pix is this another template i need? the normal router ones don't seem to be working

thanks guys
sesquipedalian_id

Post by sesquipedalian_id »

As a security precaution, you'll want to have the Cacti server have POLL rights only, not write:

snmp-server host inside xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx poll

Just a best-practice tip ;)