weathermap libpng warning

Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

_raindrop18
Cacti User

weathermap libpng warning

Post by _raindrop18 »

I got this error when weathermap maps running on Cacti 8.8 on
Linux serverQ 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 28 01:54:56 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

when i compiled php with libpng-1.5.4 I got
fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
when i compiled with libpng-1.2.44
libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.5.4
libpng warning: Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.2.44
gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
Memory fault
and not sure which specific libpng version I do need?
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re: weathermap libpng warning

Post by Howie »

If you build libpng from source, you should build libgd from source too, I think. Usually it's not worth it if packages are available.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
_raindrop18
Cacti User

Post by _raindrop18 »

thanks much Howie! the problem solved when i compiled gd with pre-compiled libpng. didn't work with post compiled libpng. bery new to me.I had tried the linux package but I got Seg fault that's why tried from the source.
I have quick unrelated question for you Howie. I have asked by my team if I can map the LAN for our location which is close to 300 on weathermap. I know Weathermap intended for WAN mapping at least as I know, but I am worry Weathermap can handle these much maps, and dragging Cacti performance. do you have any comment :)
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

300 ports? That shouldn't be an issue. I have a couple of maps showing a whole switch stack (2-300 ports) without trouble.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
_raindrop18
Cacti User

Post by _raindrop18 »

not 300 ports, but actual 300 map :) , each location has 10 switch and 1 router. so I idea is to map the upstream and down stream of each switch. so the total switch may reach 3000 and 300 router. the plan is each location to have it's own weathermap.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Aha! That might be more "interesting" :-)

I would suggest building one of those maps, and seeing how long it takes to run. The time will be linear as the number of maps grows. You should find that using poller_output or the dsstats plugin will make it a bit quicker (no longer running lots of copies of rrdtool).

I'd be interested in working with you on making this work though. There are some performance improvements waiting in the next release that would help (faster map parsing, some data caching). If you have a map you can share as an example (even by PM), then I'll take a look.
_raindrop18
Cacti User

Post by _raindrop18 »

thanks much Howie for you support offer. it's great privilege for me to work with you to improve Weathermap. I am working on the map and I will send you once I am done.