Fresh installation of 8.8a on Ubuntu/ plugin problems

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Diskbox

Fresh installation of 8.8a on Ubuntu/ plugin problems

Post by Diskbox »

Hi

Just build a 12.10 box and apt-get installed cacti. Everything went well and it seems to function ok. However, when I extract a plugin folder to /usr/share/cacti/site/plugins things start to go wrong.

The plugin management page shows the new plugins and I can install/activate them. This gives me the new tabs for say thold but when I click on the new tab I get http 500 errors.

This happens to all plugins I'm trying.

The path to the plugin page is: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx /cacti/plugins/thold/thold_graph.php
The local path to the file is: /usr/share/cacti/site/plugins/thold/thold_graph.php

I have not edited any config files yet so they are all as standard from the repository.

I'm guessing that the above is still the correct location to place plugins and that I don't need to edit any config files like we did previously because it's shown up on the webpage. Is this correct?

Also, I've looked here: http://docs.cacti.net/faq and it says
7. Local plugins should be installed in /usr/local/share/cacti/plugins (but this needs to be setup manually, please read README.Plugins)
Is this now outdated information?

Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please.

Cheers,
Diskbox
paulgevers
Cacti Pro User

Re: Fresh installation of 8.8a on Ubuntu/ plugin problems

Post by paulgevers »

Actually, the information is opposite of outdated. The package does not yet include the README.Plugins, but you can read in here. You are hit by Debian bug 681558. Please let me know if the README.Plugins is still unclear.

I will update th FAQ.
Maintainer of cacti in Debian (and Ubuntu).
Cacti 1.* is now officially supported on Debian Stretch via Debian backports
FAQ Ubuntu and Debian differences
Generic cacti debugging
Diskbox

Post by Diskbox »

Hi Paul

Thanks for coming back to me so quick. Following your guidelines I now have it working. See below for the changes I had to make.

7 mkdir /usr/local/share/cacti/plugins – Already exisits
8 * Move all content of /usr/share/cacti/site/plugins to – Had to make this folder as site/plugins was missing
16 ln -s /usr/share/cacti/site/lib /usr/local/share/cacti/site/lib – Had to make /usr/local/share/cacti site and lib folders

This was from a bare 12.10 build with no other changes.

Let me know if you need another other info.

EDIT:
Making the above changes seems to have broken my Settings link if I have THold 0.4.9-3 enabled. I have to uninstall it to get settings working again.

Diskbox
paulgevers
Cacti Pro User

Post by paulgevers »

I just found a typo in my README.Plugins.
Diskbox wrote: 8 * Move all content of /usr/share/cacti/site/plugins to – Had to make this folder as site/plugins was missing
I don't get it. You don't want a folder there, you want a softlink there. In your version of the cacti package it already should be there, but future cacti packages for Debian/Ubuntu will have an empty folder there.
Diskbox wrote: 16 ln -s /usr/share/cacti/site/lib /usr/local/share/cacti/site/lib – Had to make /usr/local/share/cacti site and lib
You should not make the directories, they are the name of the softlink, so if you execute the command you should be fine (except indeed, there is a typo in that line so indeed for the (wrong) line you quote you need to create the site directory, but not the lib directory.
Diskbox wrote:Making the above changes seems to have broken my Settings link if I have THold 0.4.9-3 enabled. I have to uninstall it to get settings working again.
If you have
/usr/share/cacti/site/plugins -> /usr/local/share/cacti/plugins
/usr/local/share/cacti/include -> /usr/share/cacti/site/include
/usr/local/share/cacti/lib -> /usr/share/cacti/site/lib <- the typo was in the first path, it included site/ which was not good.
you should be fine, although very maybe also the other /usr/share/cacti/site/* directories need a softlink in /usr/local/share/cacti.

Paul
Maintainer of cacti in Debian (and Ubuntu).
Cacti 1.* is now officially supported on Debian Stretch via Debian backports
FAQ Ubuntu and Debian differences
Generic cacti debugging