Reapply Suggested Names not working

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

jazzplr

Reapply Suggested Names not working

Post by jazzplr »

Cacti 0.8.7i

I added a new device, a Cisco switch. The Graph Template 'Interface - Traffic (bits/sec, 95th Percentile)' didn't have the interface alias by default. I added the line |query_ifAlias| to the end of the title and unchecked the 'Use Per-Graph Value' so it would apply to all my graphs using this template. In my Graph List for this new device, the Interface Alias does not show up and if I 'Reapply Suggested Names' it doesn't change. If I go back and click 'Save' again in the Graph Template then go to the Graph List the Interface Alias shows up as expected. However, when I 'Reapply Suggested Names' the name in the Graph List reverts back without the Interface Alias.
jazzplr

Re: Reapply Suggested Names not working

Post by jazzplr »

As a follow up, If I recheck 'Use Per-Graph Value' and then add |query_ifAlias| in an individual graph the changes are not applied either.
jazzplr

Post by jazzplr »

Bump....Anyone?
jazzplr

Post by jazzplr »

Am I missing critical data for someone to chime in on this? I really need some help here.
noname
Cacti Guru User

Post by noname »

jazzplr wrote:If I go back and click 'Save' again in the Graph Template then go to the Graph List the Interface Alias shows up as expected. However, when I 'Reapply Suggested Names' the name in the Graph List reverts back without the Interface Alias.
When new graph is created (also via CLI) and when performed "Reapply Suggested Names", its title seems to be determined by referring to the list of "Suggested Values".
(Console -> Data Queries -> "SNMP - Interface Statistics" -> "In/Out Bits with 95th Percentile")

So try to add new suggested value to your data query, then perform "Reapply Suggested Names".
jazzplr

Post by jazzplr »

noname wrote:
jazzplr wrote:If I go back and click 'Save' again in the Graph Template then go to the Graph List the Interface Alias shows up as expected. However, when I 'Reapply Suggested Names' the name in the Graph List reverts back without the Interface Alias.
When new graph is created (also via CLI) and when performed "Reapply Suggested Names", its title seems to be determined by referring to the list of "Suggested Values".
(Console -> Data Queries -> "SNMP - Interface Statistics" -> "In/Out Bits with 95th Percentile")

So try to add new suggested value to your data query, then perform "Reapply Suggested Names".
I did try that but still had the same problem. Where it got even more strange was if I change an interface description on the Cisco switch it would continue to show the old description in Cacti. As I dug around some more, I added a different interface statistics graph to see if it read the correct interface description. For whatever reason after I queried the device with that, the correct value for |query_ifAlias| started appearing for In/Out Bits with 95th Percentile.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

In case the snmp cache has had "old data", reapplying those will indeed serve no good. So the full procedure includes a reindex (re-query) step and a "reapply suggested names" step afterwards.

Yes, it makes sense to get that automated at some point in time, sigh
R.
jazzplr

Post by jazzplr »

Is that the same thing as rebuilding the poller cache?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

No, rebuild_poller_cache.php rebuild the poller cache.

poller_reindex_hosts.php re-queries the hosts

R.
jazzplr

Post by jazzplr »

I've not come across poller_reindex_hosts.php. Where is that located in the web interface?
noname
Cacti Guru User

Post by noname »

>> I've not come across poller_reindex_hosts.php. Where is that located in the web interface?

It's under cacti/cli/ directory.
This script can perform "Reload Data Query" in bulk from command line. Very useful. :)
jazzplr

Post by jazzplr »

Ah, I'll take a look at this.

Thanks!