Unable to simply rename a graph title [SOLVED]

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

the_sphynx

Unable to simply rename a graph title [SOLVED]

Post by the_sphynx »

I have been using cacti for a long time. I am by no means an expert but I have renamed plenty of graphs.

I found out today that I can't rename the title of a graph for some reason. I have a graph, it is showing data, everything is happy, I just want to change th title of it and when I attempt that and hit save on the graph management screen it says the save is successful but then kicks me to a screen that appears like it is suggesting I am adding a new graph template to my install. I have attached two screenshots, the first is the graph editing screen, the second is the screen it displays after I type a new title and hit save.

Has anyone run into this? I have made no changes to this install for about a year. I have been able to rename graphs as recently as a month ago.

BTW, running cacti 0.8.7g with the PIA on Linux, I am not sure that the OS really matters though at this point.
Attachments
Post "Save" submittal screen
Post "Save" submittal screen
graph title change 2.png (64.21 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Graph Editing screen
Graph Editing screen
graph title change 1.png (56.75 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Last edited by the_sphynx on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Bryan
gandalf
Developer

Re: Unable to simply rename a graph title

Post by gandalf »

For a Data Query, the title is generally defined by the "Suggested Value" section of the related graph of that Data Query. You will be able to define your own rules there. See e.g. http://docs.cacti.net/manual:087:3a_adv ... data_query
R.
the_sphynx

Post by the_sphynx »

gandalf,
Sorry I seemed to have missed something. I get that there are options when I try to modify the "SNMP - Interface Statistics" data query (and then the In/Out bits graph template)that give suggested values for the data template and graph template associated with it. But there are two problems when I attempt to change the order of those suggestions.
1) I can't seem to get "|host_description| - Traffic - |query_ifAlias| " to move to the top of the list. I can get it to move down but never to the top of the list.
2) This would essentially change it for all other graphs that use this data query/template. That is not what I am trying to accomplish. I just want one graph renamed, not the entirety of the graphs associated with the template.

I did try to chage the top suggested value to something else and then "Reapply Suggested Names" to the graph but that still doesn't help.

When I go to the graph template "Interface - Traffic (bits/sec)", the "Use Per-Graph Value (ignore this value)" option is checked. Still no luck.
Thanks,

Bryan
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Well, that is quite an issue. All Graph Templates associated to a host via Data Query will share the same naming rules.

Perhaps a workaround can be to:
- delete the graph but keep (and remember) the data sources
- create a new graph from Graph Management, specifying the correct graph template and host
- associating the remembered data sources to it
I suppose, that you may then use the title defined on the graph template.
R.
the_sphynx

Re: Unable to simply rename a graph title [SOLVED]

Post by the_sphynx »

gandalf,
Thanks for the suggestion. That didn't work but I figured that I would try the following:
1) Chose the appropriate data query & subsequently the proper graph template
2) Delete the ifAlias option for the Graph Template suggested values
3) Readded the exact same information/field name and hit "Add"
4) Now I am able to place the ifAlias option on the top of the list
5) Selected the graphs I needed changed from Graph Management
6) Reapplied Suggested Names

Fixed.

Now I will go back and set the default suggested name for the graph template back to the ifName option.
Thanks,

Bryan