Good snmp browser?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

anderiv

Good snmp browser?

Post by anderiv »

Can anyone recommend a good snmp browser? Windows preferably, but I can make linux happen as well.

Thanks!
anderiv

Post by anderiv »

Okay - I found Getif, and it seems to be working fine for basic snmp browsing. However, is there a trick to getting to recognize new MIBs? I have downloaded a MIB for my Cisco aironet access points. I put the mib here:

C:\Program Files\Getif 2.2\Mibs

But when I start up Getif, it doesn't seem to recognize the new MIBs.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

IIRC, you need to stop Getif and delete the .index file then restart Getif with the new MIB in your MIBs folder.
Regards

Bill
jcaesar

Post by jcaesar »

I've always liked the MIB Browser that comes with Solar Winds Engineers Edition for Windows. You can download a 30 day trial, but probably not worth the money for just that one feature. I like the way the interface works, but the downside is that you cannot add your own MIBs. They seem to have put just about all the known MIBs in there already, though.

I've had no luck finding a good graphical MIB browser for Linux, so I've had to stick with snmpwalk and snmpget.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Net-SNMP.org. But you have to deal with the command line interface. No problem, import into Excel or something like it from the GNU site, Open Office for example.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

iReasoning's MIB Browser is reasonable, and is Java-based and runs in Windows or Linux. It's not as good as SolarWinds, but you can load new/custom MIBs into it, and it can do some limited checks as well as walking the tree.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Post by Guest »

i agree with Martin Blank,

iReasoning's MIB Browser is great
U shoud try it!
Pumpi
Cacti User

Active SNMP

Post by Pumpi »

A very good SNMP browser is Active SNMP from CScare Inc.

http://www.cscare.com/ActiveSNMP

You can try this one for 30 days.
madjeff

Post by madjeff »

http://www.oidview.com/

OIDView Pro
http://www.oidview.com/oidview.html

I use the Pro version here ($249 when I purchased) and it does just about anything SNMP-based you can imagine, plus it's easy to use.
Thomas

Good snmp browser?

Post by Thomas »

anderiv wrote:Okay - I found Getif, and it seems to be working fine for basic snmp browsing. However, is there a trick to getting to recognize new MIBs?
C:\Program Files\Getif 2.2\Mibs
You simply have to delete the file ".index" in C:\Program Files\Getif 2.2\Mibs bevore starting up GETIF.

HTH
Thomas Rupp
OidView Lover!

OidView is great!

Post by OidView Lover! »

Yes, I've used OidView for years. It is an excellent tool! Much better than the rest of the alternatives. Also, their support is basically instantaneous. I once found a bug and they had it fixed and send me an EXE the next day.

Check out: www.oidview.com/oidview.html.

You also can compile any MIB or download from their MIB library:

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/detail.html

snmpwalk

Post by Guest »

I use snmpwalk and other command line tools from the Net-SNMP package. However, they are not too easy to learn for the first time. Once you get going though, there isn't a whole lot of reason to use a big GUI to do this sort of work.

Here are some examples...

First things first, grab the MIBs that you need from the vendor and drop them into your MIBs dir. On my host, it's /usr/share/snmp/mibs. That said, most SNMP commands only resolve the MIBs which are specified at compile time. To include other MIBs, you either need to add a "-m ALL" to all commands that you do, or add it to your ~/.snmp/snmp.conf or /snmp/snmp.conf file with the mibs and/or maybe mibdirs directive.

We need to assume the following for these commands;
hostname = bogohost
community name = public

Also, note that the arguments can be in many different order and that I have my own personally confusing way of throwing the options at these commands;

I want to walk a host and save it's walk to a file, so that I can browse over it. I do;
snmpwalk -v 1 -c public bogohost .1 -m ALL > bogohost_walk.txt

Now let's say I want to see the numerical OIDs rather than the resolved names. I do;
snmpwalk -v 1 -c public bogohost .1 -On -m ALL > bogohost_walk_numerical.txt

The -On gives the Option to display Numerical OIDs.

or maybe I just want to translate one single OID into a numerical OID. I use snmptranslate to do that;

snmptranslate -IR ciscoMemoryPoolName -m ALL
CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB::ciscoMemoryPoolName

snmptranslate CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB::ciscoMemoryPoolName -m ALL -On

snmptranslate .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.2 -m ALL
CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB::ciscoMemoryPoolName

There are also other very useful commands such as snmpnetstat, snmpbulkwalk, and snmpdelta.