Windows All-In-One Installer [Cacti 1.2.24] [Updated 2023-03-09]

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Durski
Cacti User

Re: Windows Installer [Cacti 0.8.7i - 2011-12-21]

Post by Durski »

You must be right. We've got 3 different internet pipes here, 2/3 went really slow but the last one I tried zipped right along. Thanks!
Coobadivin

Post by Coobadivin »

Complete noob here. I used this handy installer, but when I go to http://localhost/cacti/index.php I just get a blank page. Am I navigating to the right place? I checked the Apache error log and I see this message.

[Thu Feb 02 12:53:54 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/Apache2/htdocs/favicon.ico

I'm certain this is irrelevant. However, I can reach http://localhost/cacti/docs/html/

So I guess something is wrong with my php installation/configuration?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

What OS?
New cacti install?
did you reboot after the installer had completed?

Please attach the cacti installer.log which was generated for me to review.
Coobadivin

Post by Coobadivin »

BSOD2600 wrote:What OS?
New cacti install?
did you reboot after the installer had completed?

Please attach the cacti installer.log which was generated for me to review.
I'm testing on a Windows XP SP3 machine before deploying to Server 2003. Yes, I did reboot after the installer completed and this is a new install. The installer.log is attached.

One thing I did notice in the installer.log was the following...
PHP Installer exited with: 0
Output folder: C:\php\extras\mibs
Copy failed

I browsed to the mibs folder and it's filled with a bunch of text files. So did the copy really fail? I appreciate the feedback.

P.S. I changed the installer.log to a .txt file because this forum isn't allowing the .log extension.
Attachments
cacti-installer.txt
(169.62 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

1) At the command prompt, does running: php -m give you any errors? MIB ones are ignorable.
2) Does a phpinfo() page work?
3) old-passwords is NOT defined in my.ini, right?
4) C:\PHP\php_errors.txt contain anything?
Coobadivin

Post by Coobadivin »

BSOD2600 wrote:1) At the command prompt, does running: php -m give you any errors? MIB ones are ignorable.
2) Does a phpinfo() page work?
3) old-passwords is NOT defined in my.ini, right?
4) C:\PHP\php_errors.txt contain anything?
1) no errors
2) see below
3) old-passwords is NOT in my.ini
4) php_errors.txt is blank

I believe I've found the culprit. I went to the phpinfo page and noticed these two fields seemed off.
Configuration File (php.ini) Path : C:\WINDOWS
Loaded Configuration File : (none)

So I copied the php.ini file to C:\WINDOWS and I can view http://localhost/cacti/index.php and login.

Why is the config file path set to C:\WINDOWS rather than C:\php? To verify, I went to the environment variables and C:\php is under Path. PHPRC is also set to C:\php. I even rebooted again to ensure the variables took effect. Is there another location that I have to change the config file path? Thanks.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Coobadivin wrote:I believe I've found the culprit. I went to the phpinfo page and noticed these two fields seemed off.
Have you ever had PHP installed on this system? Thats the only reason why I can think it defaulted to that directory.

php.ini really should belong in c:\php. I'd highly recommend you move it and correct php.ini.

After the PHP installer completes, the Cacti installer sets the following fields in php.ini:

Code: Select all

DetailPrint "Updating php.ini..."
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP doc_root '"$IISDIR"'
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP register_argc_argv "On"
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP safe_mode "Off"
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP cgi.force_redirect 0
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP upload_tmp_dir '"$INSTDIR\php\uploadtemp"'                 
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP session.save_path '"$INSTDIR\php\sessiondata"'             
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini Date date.timezone '"America/Los_Angeles"' 
         $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini Session session.save_path '"$INSTDIR\php\sessiondata"'
        ${If} ${AtLeastWinXP}  
             $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP fastcgi.impersonate 1
             $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP cgi.fix_pathinfo 1
        ${EndIf} 
        $INSTDIR\PHP\php.ini PHP error_log "$INSTDIR\php\php_errors.txt" 
All other fields/settings are done by the PHP installer, which sounds like its possibly broken.
wobber

Post by wobber »

Hello BSOD,

first i got to say that your installer makes life easier, i am completly new to the whole rrdtool subject.
I managed to get everything working on a Windows XP test System.

The question i have concerns the licencing. I know some of the tools are GNU licenced but i would think MySQL or the Visual Studio stuff that is being installed is not. So when i would like to use your installer in an corporate environment would there be a problem?, licencingwise?

I think the OS would be Server 2k8 (R2).

thanks again for that sweet installer ;D
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Glad it works and you're welcome :).

As for license issues, all the software is free, including the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. Although, if you have any doubts contact your company's legal department for their final word.
Coobadivin

Post by Coobadivin »

BSOD2600 wrote:
Coobadivin wrote:I believe I've found the culprit. I went to the phpinfo page and noticed these two fields seemed off.
Have you ever had PHP installed on this system? Thats the only reason why I can think it defaulted to that directory.

php.ini really should belong in c:\php. I'd highly recommend you move it and correct php.ini.

All other fields/settings are done by the PHP installer, which sounds like its possibly broken.
Sorry for the late response. I honestly don't know if php was ever installed on this machine. I did remove the php.ini file from C:\WINDOWS and phpinfo.php seems to now recognize the php.ini file in C:\php. It seems like cacti is working. Thanks for your help and thanks again for making this awesome installer.
Wyeth

Post by Wyeth »

I'm having an issue with the install. After install and rebooting, I attempt to access Cacti via http:\\localhost\cacti\index.php and I receive the following error message:
  • FATAL: Cannot connect to MySQL server on 'localhost'. Please make sure you have specified a valid MySQL database name in 'include/config.php'
I noticed in the installer log the following
  • MySQL Started
    Installing Cacti DB
    C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\\bin\mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    Creating Cacti DB User
    Performing Cacti DB maintanance
    Updating Cacti defaults...
    Adding localhost Windows device
Note the "\\" after the "MySQL Server 5.5.

I've followed the instructions in post install instructions but it fails when attempting to verify and I believe it's because of the message.

Can this be corrected and the install run again (after uninstalling the current setup)?

Edited to add

Windows XP SP3
First time install (well actually second because I thought I did something wrong by not installing it in C:\ but I unstalled and cleaned the directories and registry). Reinstalled it in the root of C: with the same results.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Please post the full installer log as an attachment for me to review.

It would appear that for some reason, the installer wasnt able to set/update the mysql root account which then caused the mysql portion of the configuration to fail. Had php/mysql been previously installed on this OS? The double backslash hasn't been a problem in my testing so far.

You can either follow the Windows installation guide starting at the MySQL section to complete the install, or remove mysql (including all the configurations it leaves around in the various user directories) and try again. MySQL cannot exist when the installer is ran.
Wyeth

Post by Wyeth »

BSOD2600 wrote:Please post the full installer log as an attachment for me to review.

It would appear that for some reason, the installer wasnt able to set/update the mysql root account which then caused the mysql portion of the configuration to fail. Had php/mysql been previously installed on this OS? The double backslash hasn't been a problem in my testing so far.

You can either follow the Windows installation guide starting at the MySQL section to complete the install, or remove mysql (including all the configurations it leaves around in the various user directories) and try again. MySQL cannot exist when the installer is ran.
Odd, I did attach the file but it didn't appear for some reason.

I did have MySQL installed when I was following the manual install instructions which I was about to give up on the whole thing until I ran across your single installer and decided to give that a shot. I uninstalled MySQL, deleted the directories and cleaned any references to it out of the registry, rebooted and then ran your installer.
Attachments
cacti-installer.zip
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Wyeth wrote:I did have MySQL installed when I was following the manual install instructions which I was about to give up on the whole thing until I ran across your single installer and decided to give that a shot. I uninstalled MySQL, deleted the directories and cleaned any references to it out of the registry, rebooted and then ran your installer.
ah-ha, that would explain it. The old mysql database must've been still around which kept the previous root password. double-check the All User's directories for MySQL data files.

alternatively, you could reset the mysql root password to what Cacti wants (documented in the post-install instructions) and then re-run the cacti installer.
karthiksns

Post by karthiksns »

I am new to Cacti i have installed Cacti using the windows installer but iam getting NaN as value and also iam not getting any graph. kindly help me on this plz.....................