Thold does nots end alert emails, and does not log threshold

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

lbm

Thold does nots end alert emails, and does not log threshold

Post by lbm »

I have a little problem with thold, which does not send e-mails, or log the threshold warnings to the thold log.

I do not want it to repeat sending e-mails, så I have set i to Re-Alert cycle, to never, however when I do this, it does not log when a threshold is reached, neither does it log when an threshold is restored/not active anymore.
E-mails, are not send either.

However, if I set a Re-alert cycle it does log it, and also send e-mails.
In example, Re-Alert cycle of 5 minutes, I recieve e-mails every 5 minutes. Not sure that I recieve the restored/not active threshold e-mail, but it does log this. If have got it a couple of times, but in the lasst situation I dit not get this.

Any ideas, on how I can get this to work. I will only like 1 e-mail for an active threshold, and only 1 e-mail for an restored threshold.
Cacti 0.8.7g and thold 0.4.9.
TheWitness
Developer

Re: Thold does nots end alert emails, and does not log thres

Post by TheWitness »

For now, set a very high re-alert cycle. I suspect that this happened very recently. Is this time based, or hi/low threshold?
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
lbm

Post by lbm »

hi/low threshold, not time-based.

If I set an higher alert, in example in a week, I will first recieve the e-mail alert on week after when this reoccours!
The threshold is activated/triggered, but no e-mail is send. I do only get e-mail on the re-alert cycles.
babolat

Post by babolat »

Similar issue. Using Hi/Low threshold and dead host alerting. I receive dead host alerts via e-mail as expected, however I never receive Hi/Low threshold alerts, despite alerts are triggered and visible in "Threshold Management."

Attached are my settings for thresholds. Test e-mails from mail / dns are received without issue. Suggestions?
thresholds.png
thresholds.png (83.59 KiB) Viewed 11092 times
laerg

Post by laerg »

I have the same issue ...
  • Threshold type : Hi/Lo
    Re-Alert Cycle : every day

Warning/Alert breach duration : 5 min
but mails get sent each 5 minutes instead of once a day, which i how I interpreted the "re-alert cycle" setting.

THOLD : 0.4.8
Cacti/Spine : 0.8.7g

grtz,
laerg
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Update to thold 0.4.9-3
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
muriachi

Post by muriachi »

I have the same issue too
I do update to 0.4.9-3, and the problem not fix to me

I receive emails only with re-alert cycles, but Restoration Email not received !

I`m using hi/low threshold

thanks in advance
laerg

Post by laerg »

TheWitness wrote:Update to thold 0.4.9-3
fixed :)

not sure about the baseline stuff yet, but I'll have to dig a bit deeper to fully understand how it works ...

thnx,
laerg
vbugaian

Post by vbugaian »

Hello,

first of all thanks for a great tool.

I have the same problem with thold after uprating to:
Cacti Version 0.8.7h
Cacti OS unix
SNMP Version NET-SNMP version: 5.4.2.1
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.x
Hosts 100
Graphs 1264
Data Sources Script/Command: 324
SNMP: 408
SNMP Query: 1079
Script Query: 12
Total: 1823

I have been using thold for a while now but after upgrading, old version stopped working, I upgraded to latest thold: thold-v0.4.9-3.tgz;

In Threshold Management I never see warning, no alert, no emails, no log;

I tried to enable php logging in both php.ini but nothing shows in log file. Mysql tables are OK.

Can't figure out why no alerts. Where can I find anything to fix it?

Any patch?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

More than likely a table difference. I posted a SQL file that you could compare with in the Thold forum. See if you can find it. Also, look into your Cacti Log for SQL Error messages. Let me know what you find. The fact of the matter is that there were so many forks of thold, it was hard to run a 100% clean upgrade script.

TheWitness

lbm

Post by lbm »

I am still suffering from the same as first described in the topic. :(

It is funny, that an email first logs the alert and sends an email according to the re-alert cycle!

I can see that the alert is active in Thold->Thresholds, but if I go to the threshold->log, the threshold does not show up.
If the re-alert cycle is set to 5 minutes, and the threshold is still active after 5 minutes, it will send me an e-mail and it will show in the threshold log.
If the re-alert cycle is set to 1 hour, and the the threshold is still active after this one hour, it will send me an e-mail and show up in the threshold log.

I recieve an "Normal / Restoring" mail as soon as the threshold goes back to normal.

Have I missed something in the config somewhere? Threshold are still high/low values.
lbm

Post by lbm »

If I set the re-alert cycle to never, and set a warning and set a warning/alert breach duration, to XXX minutes, it is working.
But I am woundering why it is required to have a minimum duration timer.
kalong

Post by kalong »

Hi, I have the same trouble, have you solved the problem?

lbm wrote:I am still suffering from the same as first described in the topic. :(

It is funny, that an email first logs the alert and sends an email according to the re-alert cycle!

I can see that the alert is active in Thold->Thresholds, but if I go to the threshold->log, the threshold does not show up.
If the re-alert cycle is set to 5 minutes, and the threshold is still active after 5 minutes, it will send me an e-mail and it will show in the threshold log.
If the re-alert cycle is set to 1 hour, and the the threshold is still active after this one hour, it will send me an e-mail and show up in the threshold log.

I recieve an "Normal / Restoring" mail as soon as the threshold goes back to normal.

Have I missed something in the config somewhere? Threshold are still high/low values.
lbm

Post by lbm »

No. But if you take a look at the post above, I have found a "work around". although it is kinda annoiyng, I do not get the triggers straight away.
mudmud

Post by mudmud »

Hi,

Did anyone of you solve this problem? I have the latest thold and cacti versions installed but I am being unsuccessful at sending alerts via email. Test Email works fine.

Let me know if there are any solutions.

Thanks.

D.