GPS Maps for Cacti

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Re: GPS Maps for Cacti

Post by TheWitness »

So, are you saying that he is no longer supporting the plugin? Please advise. We have a process for that...

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
bkbristlin
Cacti User

Post by bkbristlin »

TheWitness wrote:So, are you saying that he is no longer supporting the plugin? Please advise. We have a process for that...

TheWitness
Looks like he will do minor things but not major.
Saturday, 04 June 2011 10:42
I have spent my fair share of hours on this side-project of mine. I feel this will be the last major version put out by me. My need for this piece of software ended two years ago and now my passion to continue major updates has faded. However, I will provide updates to the code as bugs or small usability features arise. (I know there will be a few)
Found here: http://spiffdev.com/projects/gpsmaps
Brian
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

fl0rinc wrote:Hi wildulca,

Thank for your reply.

You are right, the urls like http://labs.google.com/ridefinder/image ... _white.png and all other icons colors are no more available on google site.
These url links are used by files like gpsmap/includes/icons.php and gpsmap/includes/iconskml.php

Probably spiffydudex shoud release a new version of gpsmaps with these icons saved localy.

Anyway, now (with labs.google.com url problem passed) the icons are showed correctly on the map :D but the errors from my anterior post are still there :( .

Thanks
I'll see what I can find out and release something shortly to address the problem. I'm not sure about the legality of using the ones from Google so I'm going to have to create my own. Simple enough. For some odd reason I stopped receiving Email updates about posts. So this went unnoticed until I got an email from TheWitness

@TheWitness In regards to your email. I'll release a new version here to quickly address the problems with the icons. I will then work on making some detailed comments in all of the code and see if there is anything that can be cleaned up for clarity's sake. I will pass that version on to you. Looks like I'll be installing cacti once again :)
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

Version 1.63 is out with the Icon fixes. http://spiffdev.com/downloads/gpsmaps-downloads
You should be able to replace the existing files and just continue on as normal.
Remember: DO NOT UNINSTALL THE PLUGIN unless you have backed up your host database! GPS Coordinates will be DELETEDwhen uninstalled.

I also made some changes to the way coverage overlays are processed. Should make the rendering a bit faster.

Version 1.63
-Emergency update.
-Fixed relying on Google for icon files.
-All icons are contained within the images\icons folder
-Made coverage overlays the last part to be rendered.
-Fixed bug where coverage overlays would eat up RAM by causing a invalid For loop.
bkbristlin
Cacti User

Post by bkbristlin »

spiffydudex wrote:Version 1.63 is out with the Icon fixes. http://spiffdev.com/downloads/gpsmaps-downloads
You should be able to replace the existing files and just continue on as normal.
Remember: DO NOT UNINSTALL THE PLUGIN unless you have backed up your host database! GPS Coordinates will be DELETEDwhen uninstalled.

I also made some changes to the way coverage overlays are processed. Should make the rendering a bit faster.

Version 1.63
-Emergency update.
-Fixed relying on Google for icon files.
-All icons are contained within the images\icons folder
-Made coverage overlays the last part to be rendered.
-Fixed bug where coverage overlays would eat up RAM by causing a invalid For loop.
I installed this in my test system. Really had me stumped why nothing displayed. Subnet traversal works fine. Turns out my devices are there, the icons folder in the new update is empty.
Brian
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

Sorry about that, I appear to have linked the wrong file on the page. Try it now, it should give you 1.63.
bkbristlin
Cacti User

Post by bkbristlin »

I see the icon files now with the icons. However with the exception of the Subnet Traversal link the entire page is white.
If I remove all the files and replace with 1.62 my map comes back with a refresh. Is there a change required on 1.63 for the map to show?
Brian
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

bkbristlin wrote:I see the icon files now with the icons. However with the exception of the Subnet Traversal link the entire page is white.
If I remove all the files and replace with 1.62 my map comes back with a refresh. Is there a change required on 1.63 for the map to show?
I don't think so...I didn't change all that much. What browser are you using? I've tested in both IE9 and Chrome on two different PCs. On Chrome I have found that you may need to delete the last hour of cache files, chrome tends to cache java-script files and not update them. Also if you have any templates set, you may need to change the Icons to valid ones. Try disabling the coverage overlay in the settings.
bkbristlin
Cacti User

Post by bkbristlin »

spiffydudex wrote:
bkbristlin wrote:I see the icon files now with the icons. However with the exception of the Subnet Traversal link the entire page is white.
Also if you have any templates set, you may need to change the Icons to valid ones.
This was it. Map shows now. Still no radius, but I had that issue before.
Brian
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

bkbristlin wrote:
spiffydudex wrote:
Also if you have any templates set, you may need to change the Icons to valid ones.
This was it. Map shows now. Still no radius, but I had that issue before.
Yeah, that's been a bit of a pain to diagnose the problem because different computers/browsers operate differently. I'll be doing alot of JS debugging here shortly.
bkbristlin
Cacti User

Post by bkbristlin »

spiffydudex wrote:Yeah, that's been a bit of a pain to diagnose the problem because different computers/browsers operate differently. I'll be doing alot of JS debugging here shortly.
Ahh gotcha. Well if it helps for your reference I have both Firefox 5.0.1 and IE 8.0.7601.17514.
We have Metro E rings is the only reason I wanted it, would make it easier to see if an entire ring is down. But the map is awesome for the NOC guys. I'm going to get this up on the production server in a few weeks with all devices. Thanks.
Brian
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Make sure that you define $config as a global in your function and prefix all image paths with:

Code: Select all

$path = $config['url_path'] . "plugins/myplugin/images/stuff.png";
Then path problems disappear. If your problem is in Javascript, well, then I believe the path is relative to the location of the *.js file.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

TheWitness wrote:Make sure that you define $config as a global in your function and prefix all image paths with:

Code: Select all

$path = $config['url_path'] . "plugins/myplugin/images/stuff.png";
Then path problems disappear. If your problem is in Javascript, well, then I believe the path is relative to the location of the *.js file.

TheWitness

The problem with the images was that they were the on one of Google's servers. Google recently removed the project they were associated with. The main reason the icons were linked to Google's servers was if someone was using a KML file in Google earth, the images would populate correctly (IE if the Cacti server was not accessible externally).

I just created a bunch of icon images and included them in the release and removed any code relating to the Google icon images.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I see. Did not know the KML link...

spiffydudex
Cacti User

Post by spiffydudex »

TheWitness wrote:I see. Did not know the KML link...

All this talk about GPSMaps has me thinking and as it happens, I have some free time. So, while I have your attention Witness, I had a question about how to add a script to be run at the the end of a polling sequence. It looked like the PIA had hooks for this, do you have an example I can look at? Also, is there a good example for the plugin update function?

Basically I want to have the XML and KML files be generated every polled sequence, that way when the map/page is refreshed, the amount of processing for page generation is minimal. In addition, I can set a refresh time for the map equal to the polling interval, that way the page will always be updated with current/semi-current information.