New Threshold monitoring plugin for 8.5a - sends emails ...

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

adesimone

New Threshold monitoring plugin for 8.5a - sends emails ...

Post by adesimone »

Simple threshold / alarm / event monitoring tool that sends emails & syslog events when configured value is reached. Only sends emails when threshold is reached and then descended (not each time it is polled). Emails include link to associated graph.

Curently only works with gauge-based RRDs (i.e. cpu usage, mem usage, load average, etc) and not counter-based RRDs (i.e. bandwidth / errors, etc).

The way it works is by reading the values out of the cacti.log which is created by the cmd.php output, and then comparing them against configured thresholds from the database. (lame, I know)

Download thold.zip and unzip into cacti root directory. Should create ./thold/ directory. There is a readme me there (with very little info). Run the install.sh script.

This also includes the cactistoric from Droopy - posted earlier in the message boards.

I think it is mostly self-explanitory, but feel free to ask questions. It may require you run the crontab as root. This will only work with *NIX-based systems

I hope to have a 8.6 version soon.

adesimone
adesimone@ciscoconfigbuilder.com
Attachments
Screen shot 1
Screen shot 1
shot1.jpg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 13600 times
screen shot 2
screen shot 2
shot2.jpg (172.77 KiB) Viewed 13600 times
thold.zip
installation
(54.71 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
dev2dev
Cacti User

Post by dev2dev »

hey, this looks intresting
Why me lord?
JVandermark

Post by JVandermark »

This looks great, please let me know if you need help beta testing or development on this.
adesimone

Post by adesimone »

feel free to test - let me know if there are any problems. I am running this on redhat ES3 with standard packages.

I'm no expert at coding (more of a network geek) so feel free to pick at the code.
mletschin

Post by mletschin »

Have we gotten anywhere on this?
bulek
Cacti Pro User

Post by bulek »

I did not try your solution yet but I think one thing is missing here. The e-mail is send as soon as a value jumps above some threshold. This may lead to e-mail bombing when the value starts oscilating around the defined threshold. To overcome this you can have configurable time during which measured value is greater than a threshold. For example: if the CPU is over 90% for the last 15 minutes then make the trigger the threshold and send a mail. The same approach should be applied before before triggering the threshold down.

And one more thing that can be added is a threshold condition. As far as I understand you just check if the value is greater. Sometimes however it would be nice to know if the value became "less than" or "equal to".

Besides of this this would be great addition to Cacti. You have done a good start! :)

- Piotr
ptsiaras

Post by ptsiaras »

Hello
is the plugin working with 8.6b version ?
Pumpi
Cacti User

Post by Pumpi »

Not working on my version 0.8.6c Cacti Linux Server.

Hope we will soon get a working addon like this for threshold monitoring and alarming. :-?
adesimone

Post by adesimone »

I have a new version with coming out with a 'trigger' option that allows you to only send an email after 'X' times of reaching the threshold. I hope to post this in a few days. It will also give you the option to turn syslog logging on/off.

I am still working on 8.6 compatability - I have been busy working on some other projects - but I hope to have this released soon. I am trying to use a more intelligent mechanism to extract the data (currently it just greps a log file). This will make it more scalable and compatable with more elements...

Aurelio
Brashquido
Cacti User

Post by Brashquido »

Great if something like this could be done purely in PHP so its functionality was portable.
Dominic Ryan
www.iis-aid.com
adesimone

Post by adesimone »

The 8.6 version will be mostly written in PHP - and more database oriented -
stoopinc

Post by stoopinc »

adesimone wrote:The 8.6 version will be mostly written in PHP - and more database oriented -
Is this coming out soon?
gkuchera

Very interested in this.

Post by gkuchera »

When is the New version going to be available?
Geoff Kuchera
MLT Vacations, Inc.
adesimone

Post by adesimone »

Here are some bug-fixes and updates for version 1.0-

These are only updated files - must be installed over version 1.0

New feature - trigger - allows you to specify the number of times the threshold is reached consistently before sending an email

Bug-fixes - email address didn't seem to be getting saved

ADesimone
Attachments
thold1.1.zip
thold 1.1 (update to thold 1.0)
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
adesimone

Post by adesimone »

I have released version 2.0 - cacti 8.6c support - under a new topic:

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=24766

please test, etc

adesimone