Possible fix for Win/Apache broken graphs

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

infuseweb

Possible fix for Win/Apache broken graphs

Post by infuseweb »

After several days of scratching my head as to why I had broken graphs on my Win 2003 installation with Apache 2, I decided to try something. I uninstalled Apache from the default c:\program files\apache group\apache2 and installed it to c:\apache2. In other words, I removed any spaces in the path. After I did this, everything started working using a default install.

So, if you're having problems, I'll bet you have spaces in your path to your Apache installation and htdocs location. If so, remove them then try Cacti again. You might be surprised!
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Correct, cacti does not currently support long file names. We should put this in the documentation. Sorry.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
infuseweb

Post by infuseweb »

Yeah, I'd HIGHLY recommend that. I spent around 3 days trying to get things to work right. Would have saved me a lot of time since it was never mentioned on the forums (at least not anywhere I found).

When I tried to run poller.php or cmd.php from the command line, I got a "no input file specified". Apache, by default, installs to c:\program files\apache group\apache2 so you've got lots of long filenames in there if you're not careful, then end up with broken graphs and can't figure out why :o
bulek
Cacti Pro User

Post by bulek »

If you are gonna do this then put that cacti does not support spaces in path names. Long file names are supported (excluding spaces).

- Piotr
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Bulek,

Thanks for reminding me about that subtile difference. Oh, by the way, multiple poller server architecture is working (but will change before it's done :D ).

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Willie

poller

Post by Willie »

Larry,

It is good to hear about the multible poller <g>.

With installing things to the \program files directory. It should also be noted that you have to have more rights to access the program files directory. A normal "user" account (in the users group) can read \program files but not write to it. That can cause problems.

Regards,

Willie