Monitoring performance of an HP EVA SAN

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Lalbee99
Cacti User

Re: Monitoring performance of an HP EVA SAN

Post by Lalbee99 »

Ok let me start by saying this should be a nice template if it worked. I have performed the following:

Installed wmic according to the docs - success

Imported the template - success

Cacti has imported the following items:

[size=85]CDEF

[success] Multiply by 1024 [update]
[success] Total All Data Sources [update]

GPRINT Preset

[success] Normal [update]
[success] Exact Numbers [update]

Data Input Method

[success] Get script Data (Indexed) [update]

Data Template

[success] EVA - VirtualDisk [update]
[success] EVA - PhysicalDiskGroup [update]
[success] EVA - HostConnection [update]
[success] EVA - StorageArray [update]
[success] EVA - StorageController [update]

Graph Template

[success] EVA - VirtualDisk - Requests/Sec [update]
[success] EVA - VirtualDisk - Latency [update]
[success] EVA - VirtualDisk - Throughput [update]
[success] EVA - PhysicalDiskGroup - Latency [update]
[success] EVA - PhysicalDiskGroup - Requests / Second [update]
[success] EVA - PhysicalDiskGroup - Throughput [update]
[success] EVA - HostConnection - Queue Depth [update]
[success] EVA - StorageArray - Throughput [update]
[success] EVA - StorageArray - Requests/sec [update]
[success] EVA - StorageController - CPU [update]

Data Query

[success] Eva - Query new VirtualDisk [update]
[success] Eva - Query new PhysicalDiskGroup [update]
[success] Eva - Query new HostConnection [update]
[success] Eva - Query new StorageArray [update]
[success] Eva - Query new StorageController [update]

Host Template

[success] EVA Commandview [update][/size]

I have refreshed the eva appliance for user friendly names - success

Data Query [Eva - Query new VirtualDisk]
VirtualDisk FriendlyName VirtualDisk Name
EXCHBIN_MB1B:V09K CHEXCCRMB1B/EXCHBIN_MB1B:V09K [CHBEVA08]
EXCHBIN_MB1B:X02K CHEXCCRMB1B/EXCHBIN_MB1B:X02K [CHBEVA08]
RESTORE_MB1B:V09K CHEXCCRMB1B/RESTORE_MB1B:V09K [CHBEVA08]
RESTORE_MB1B:X02K CHEXCCRMB1B/RESTORE_MB1B:X02K [CHBEVA08]
SG_1-5_EXCH_DB:V09K CHEXCCRMB1B/SG_1-5_EXCH_DB:V09K [CHBEVA08]

I have tested queries successfully from the command line
# python /usr/local/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host serverXX.XXX.XXXXXX.XXX --authentication-file /etc/cacti/serverXX.tch.harvard.edu.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAVirtualDisk index
CHEXCCRMB1B/VMP_CHEXCCRMB1B_LOGS:V09K [CHBEVA08]
Oracle_on_Itanium/chprd/VDISK-chprd-RAID1-03:102P [CHBEVA09]
VHOST_DR/SYS/VMWare_SYS_Lun1_Raid1:X06C [CHBEVA09]
CHEXCCRMB3B/SG_51-55_EXCH_LOGS:V09K [CHBEVA08]
CHEXCCRMB1B/SG_1-5_EXCH_LOGS:X02K [CHBEVA08]

The problem is when you select & create the graphs in cacti. The poller never executes for this template. There is no mention in the cacti log of this ever running (right, wrong or indifferent)
Seeing how there is no output at all there is nothing for me to go on. There is also nothing logged in the query_eva.log during a poll. I am quite comfortable troubleshoting errors when there are errors. Any help would be appreciated :)

[quote]Cacti Version - 0.8.7e
Plugin Architecture - 2.5
Poller Type - Cactid v
Server Info - Linux 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5xen
Web Server - Apache
PHP - 5.1.6
PHP Extensions - libxml, xml, wddx,
Lalbee99
Cacti User

Post by Lalbee99 »

One other note to make on the subject the query does show up in the poller cache.

Data Source Name** Details
EVA - CHBEVA08 requests/sec Script: /usr/bin/python /usr/local/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host XXXXX.XXXX.XXX --authentication-file /etc/cacti/XXXXX.XXXX.XXX .pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAStorageArray get TotalhostReqPers CHBEVA08
RRD: /usr/local/cacti/rra/sanmgnt03_totalhostreqpers_6204.rrd XXXXX.XXXX.XXX

EVA - CHBEVA09 requests/sec Script: /usr/bin/python /usr/local/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host XXXXX.XXXX.XXX --authentication-file /etc/cacti/XXXXX.XXXX.XXX .pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAStorageArray get TotalhostReqPers CHBEVA09
RRD: /usr/local/cacti/rra/sanmgnt03_totalhostreqpers_6205.rrd

EVA - CHBEVA11 requests/sec Script: /usr/bin/python /usr/local/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host XXXXX.XXXX.XXX --authentication-file /etc/cacti/XXXXX.XXXX.XXX .pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAStorageArray get TotalhostReqPers CHBEVA11
RRD: /usr/local/cacti/rra/sanmgnt03_totalhostreqpers_6206.rrd
JakeB

Re: Template broken?

Post by JakeB »

I'm in the exact same situation...

I can manually run the commands as root, cacti, or apache and get results...and the files in /var/tmp/cacti get updated

However when I click Verbose Query for Debugging it appears as if the python scripts aren't being run...and the files in /var/tmp/cacti are not being updated.

HELP!!!
Quindor wrote:I seem to be having the same problems as the users above.

The manual wmic commands return the requested data.
The commands listed in the verbose query window of cacti return the data if executed manually.

But cacti keeps saying it has 0 items, 0 rows. I have tried re-installing, everything.

In my opinion everything seems to be in working order, but the template in cacti does not understand how to parse the data received from the query?

Hopefully the original creator can come in and fix the script somehow? I'm trying to do a readout of an EVA8400.
--------update--------
Thus far with my limited scripting/programming knowledge I have been able to determine that the python script actually never gets called.

When I manually enter a query such as : python /var/www/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host umchpsim01 --authentication-file /etc/cacti/umchpsim01.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAVirtualDisk query Name

I see the output of the script appear on my screen and the /var/log/cacti/query_eva.log is updated with the logging information. When I do a query in cacti, or a verbose query, nothing gets added to the log files. That leads me to think that the cacti is actually never running the python commands, even though it says so with the verbose query.

Err..... still at a loss sadly enough, but that does pinpoint where the problem is located. Anyone?
Lalbee99
Cacti User

Post by Lalbee99 »

Update: I finally have got mine working now. :)

My situation was different in that I actually recieved the data when running the query in cacti. It was when the poller ran the data query seemed to be bypassed altogether.

Is the query appearing in your poller cache. (system Utilities --> View poller cache , Select the host) ??
JakeB

Post by JakeB »

Nope no data in the Poller Cache for that Data Query.
Lalbee99
Cacti User

Post by Lalbee99 »

Under devices , select the host.

1) What do you have under the following for the host:

Description
Give this host a meaningful description.

Hostname
Fully qualified hostname or IP address for this device.

2) Do a ls -al on the /etc/cacti , Does the file listed there match the name listed under hostname with a .pw

The contents of my file has no quotes:
username=administrator
password=spped77D18
JakeB

Post by JakeB »

1) Description = cv01, Hostname = cv01.sample.domain.com

2) -rwxrwx---. 1 cactiuser apache 50 May 2 10:43 cv01.sample.domain.com.pw

Still no luck...and logging at DEVEL level doesn't show anything.
Lalbee99
Cacti User

Post by Lalbee99 »

Have you tried running from the command line (below) as both the apache & Cactiuser

Example:
python /usr/local/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host sanxxxx.xxxxxx.org --authentication-file /etc/cacti/sanxxxx.xxxxxx.org.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAStorageArray get TotalhostKBPers XXXXEVAXX
JakeB

Post by JakeB »

First off...thanks for your help Lalbee99 and others!!!

Yeah, I can run it from the CLI as the Apache user and my Cacti user (data returned is EVA01):

[root@itsys ~]# su cactiuser
[cactiuser@itsys root]$ python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host cv01.sample.domain.com --authentication-file /etc/cacti/cv01.sample.domain.com.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAStorageArray index
EVA01
[cactiuser@itsys root]$ exit
exit
[root@itsys ~]# su apache
bash-4.1$ python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host cv01.sample.domain.com --authentication-file /etc/cacti/cv01.sample.domain.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAStorageArray index
EVA01
bash-4.1$ exit

Still nothing in the Poller Cache and the Device Associated Data Query still lists: Success [0 Items, 0 Rows]

Here is the output from a Verbose Data Query:

+ Running data query [16].
+ Found type = '4 '[script query].
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/html/cacti/resource/script_queries/eva_virtualdisks.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing script for list of indexes 'python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host cv01.mythos.suresource.com --authentication-file /etc/cacti/cv01.sample.domain.com.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAVirtualDisk index'
+ Executing script query 'python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host cv01.sample.domain.com --authentication-file /etc/cacti/cv01.mythos.suresource.com.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAVirtualDisk query friendlyname'
+ Executing script query 'python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host cv01.sample.domain.com --authentication-file /etc/cacti/cv01.mythos.suresource.com.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAVirtualDisk query Name'
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/html/cacti/resource/script_queries/eva_virtualdisks.xml'
Lalbee99
Cacti User

Post by Lalbee99 »

Do you have the python module installed and configured in Apache ?

grep python_module httpd.conf
LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so

I was able to get the poller to recognize my data query by doing the following:

Enabling snmp version 1 with a default community of public (even though it was not in use on my eva)
SNMP Version
Choose the SNMP version for this device.

One last thing to check is the poller_reindex table. I noticed my device id (eva) was listed in the table.

select host_id,data_query_id,action,op,assert_value,arg1 from poller_reindex where host_id='XXX' ;

I deleted the entry and I was working...
delete from poller_reindex where host_id='XXX' ;
traiano

Post by traiano »

Hi All

My cacti instances is running on freebsd 7.3 upward. I'd like to use cacti to monitor my hp eva 4400 SAN but it seems a key piece of the puzzle, the wmic utility has no compiled binary available for freebsd. I also cannot seem to find an equivalent utility n the freebsd ports tree :-( Short of making heavy modifications to the wmic source code and recompiling to run on BSD, would anyone know if there are either of:

a) drop in replacements for wmic on freebsd
b) a freebsd wmi-client offering similar functionality

Thanks in Advance!
T.
JorisK

Post by JorisK »

Hi People,

I have been monitoring my EVA now for some time and things look great! But... I created a new diskgroup and now i want to monitor this diskgroup aswell.

When i open my host, i can see all the way down the queries. When i do a manual verbose query i see the following:
+ Running data query [11].
+ Found type = '4 '[script query].
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/html/cacti/resource/script_queries/eva_physicaldiskgroup.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing script for list of indexes 'python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host monitor.asp.local --authentication-file /etc/cacti/monitor.asp.local.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAPhysicalDiskGroup index'
+ Executing script query 'python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host monitor.asp.local --authentication-file /etc/cacti/monitor.asp.local.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAPhysicalDiskGroup query Name'
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/html/cacti/resource/script_queries/eva_physicaldiskgroup.xml'

For some reason i don't get any output, no items or devices are found. When i start the command 'python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host monitor.asp.local --authentication-file /etc/cacti/monitor.asp.local.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAPhysicalDiskGroup index' manually on my shell, i get a proper output:

[root@stats02 cacti]# python /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_wmi.py --host monitor.asp.local --authentication-file /etc/cacti/monitor.asp.local.pw --class Win32_PerfRawData_EVAPMEXT_HPEVAPhysicalDiskGroup index
500x-xxxx-50xx-A0F0 - 01
500x-xxxx-50xx-A0F0 - Default
500x-xxxx-02xx-A8C0 - 02
500x-xxxx-02xx-A8C0 - 01
500x-xxxx-02x-A8C0 - Default
[root@stats02 cacti]#

Anyone any clue what is going wrong?
rlh2005

Post by rlh2005 »

JorisK wrote:4) downloaded scripts from http://opensource.is/trac/wiki/cacti-evaperf
The site hosting the evaperf scripts off http://opensource.is/trac/wiki/cacti-evaperf appears to be offline. Does anyone have a copy they are willing to share?
Lalbee99
Cacti User

Post by Lalbee99 »

Here is the one I got back in 4/2011
Attachments
cacti-evaperf-2010-03-15.tar.gz
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
rlh2005

Post by rlh2005 »

Lalbee99 wrote:Here is the one I got back in 4/2011