Monitor RAID array on HP StorageWorks MSA70

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

livearchivist

Monitor RAID array on HP StorageWorks MSA70

Post by livearchivist »

I have two StorageWorks MSA70's at work that we've started to have some issues with. We had a few drives fail on the same day because of a firmware issue on the drives. We are wanting to start watching the SMART status of each drive in the array so we can can view possible failures coming down the road. I've tried several templates, but none are giving me the data I need. Is there any templates out there that would suit my needs? I'm fairly new to Cacti but I am fairly confident in my abilities to create my own template with the right guidance. I tried to do an snmpwalk on the server but it returned way more results than my terminal window would display.

I guess were not necessarily needing to look at the SMART status, but really any status about the drive (OK, Failing, Degraded, Failed)

Each of the Arrays are attached to HP Proliant DL580 G5 servers by SCSI running Windows Server 2003. I am running Cacti on Fedora 14 on one of our ESX clusters.

Thanks!
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Re: Monitor RAID array on HP StorageWorks MSA70

Post by BSOD2600 »

The HP software must already provide this info via SNMP, right? If so, then there is likely already a script/template created which works for it... or you'll need to learn how to create one (documentation site ftw... link above the forum). Otherwise, you'll need to find out some software which can read each hard drive through the RAID controller and then devise a method to extract this info for Cacti.

Once thats all figured out, you could also use the thold plugin to alert when a drive parameter changes outside of specifications.
livearchivist

Re: Monitor RAID array on HP StorageWorks MSA70

Post by livearchivist »

I looked through about 200 templates and tried probably 50+ templates today and none of them seem to give me exactly what I want. I am now able to monitor reads and writes, sectors written, and the array controller read/writes but I definitely need to find the smart attributes. I also downloaded the MIB files from HP today and loaded them into an MIB browser but was unable to figure it out. I will be reading through the documentation tonight, trying to get a handle on how OID's and creating my own templates will work.

The other way to go is to see if I can extract information from the HP management console through a script and post it into Cacti. I might also be able to pull information from the iLo port. I will be pushing forward tomorrow to see what I can do.

Thank you for your quick reply. I will be sure to post all progress and once I get it working I will create templates so people like me can use it. Even though I've only been using Cacti for a few weeks now, I can definitely see the benefits of it!