Lots of Cacti Documentation Stuff

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

pshankland
Cacti User

Post by pshankland »

Hi Gandalf,

Sorry to ask but is the 0.8.7 manual still available as a PDF? I have logged into the documentation site but can't seem to find the file anywhere.

Thanks.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

I've just posted it to http://docs.cacti.net/node/438
But bare with me. Images have been chopped due to standard docbook2pdf layouts. If anyone could provide me with a new dsl file for pdf, I'd be happy
Reinhard
WhipHubley

Post by WhipHubley »

I have logged in but do not see any documents.

For example the URL http://docs.cacti.net/node_438 just states...

"This topic does not exist yet

You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If permissions allow, you may create it by using the Create this page button."

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

We changed to Dokuwiki. So old links are no longer valid. You may find the new docs at 1st link of my sig
Reinhard
zorrosam
Cacti User

gaps in my graphs

Post by zorrosam »

Gandalf,
sorry but how i can debug the hole in some of my cacti installation?
i can't understand why i have these errors ... the harwdare is the same for 50 host, DSLAM Stinger, some of these have no gaps ... why?

any help is appreciate

zorro
rukshankb

Post by rukshankb »

gandalf wrote:We changed to Dokuwiki. So old links are no longer valid. You may find the new docs at 1st link of my sig
Reinhard
Can you edit post post?
Engineer
[url=http://www.lankacom.net]LankaCom[/url]
dma_k

Post by dma_k »

I've found that most tables in HTML documentation are too narrow (see screenshot). This is because <col width="1*"> value is invalid: only %, px or relative value is allowed (see here). So the browser resets the column width to 0, causing non-effective table rendering.

Also it would be nice if someone adds the definitions of RRA and RRD into the documentation (e.g. using <acronym>).
Attachments
Documentation screenshot
Documentation screenshot
cacti_doku.png (58.97 KiB) Viewed 37731 times
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

dma_k wrote:I've found that most tables in HTML documentation are too narrow (see screenshot). This is because <col width="1*"> value is invalid: only %, px or relative value is allowed (see here). So the browser resets the column width to 0, causing non-effective table rendering.

Also it would be nice if someone adds the definitions of RRA and RRD into the documentation (e.g. using <acronym>).
Thanks. But why don't you do it? It's a dokuwiki!
R.
dma_k

Post by dma_k »

gandalf wrote:Thanks. But why don't you do it? It's a dokuwiki!
wiki pages are OK, that is true. But HTML version (http://www.cacti.net/downloads/docs/html/) is ugly.
The acronyms for RRD/RRA should be added to dokuwiki config file (conf/acronyms.conf). Frankly, I don't know what RRA means.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

rrd = round robin database
rra = round robin archive, part of rrd
R.
Voiper99
Cacti User

Re: Lots of Cacti Documentation Stuff

Post by Voiper99 »

As the Cacti community has been so extremely helpful to me, I really need to give back to it and contribute more than I currently do, however, due to being overworked, I'm finding it very hard :(

I should add this information to the wiki, but for now I'll quickly post it here. I have gathered it from various sources (websites, wikipedia, Cacti documentation (HTML), Cacti Wiki, and a bit of my own input).

* step - A time-variable data in intervals of a certain length.
* primary data point (PDP) - The value for a specific step, that has been interpolated
* consolidation function (CF) - Used to conolidate multiple primary data points (PDPs). Typical consolidation functions are average, minimum, maximum.
* consolidated data point (CDP) - The result of multiple primary data points (PDPs) after having a consolidation function (CF) applied to them.
* round-robin archive (RRA) - Stores a fixed amount of CDPs and specifies how many PDPs should be consolidated in to one CDP and which CF to use.
* round-robin database (RRD) - A database that contains multiple RRAs.

Cacti graphs are stored in a round-robin database (RRD), also known as a circular buffer, thus the system storage footprint remains constant over time.

RRDtool assumes time-variable data in intervals of a certain length. This interval, usually named step, is specified upon creation of an RRD file and cannot be changed afterwards. Because data may not always be available at just the right time, RRDtool will automatically interpolate any submitted data to fit its internal time-steps.

The value for a specific step, that has been interpolated, is named a primary data point (PDP). Multiple primary data points may be consolidated according to a consolidation function (CF) to form a consolidated data point (CDP). Typical consolidation functions are average, minimum, maximum.

After the data has been consolidated, the resulting CDP is stored in a round-robin archive (RRA). A round-robin archive stores a fixed amount of CDPs and specifies how many PDPs should be consolidated into one CDP and which CF to use.

* In other words: Multiple primary data points (PDPs) can be consolidated using a consolidation function (CF) such as average, minimum or maximum. Once the CF has been performed, the result is known as a consolidated data point (CDP). This information is stored in an round-robin archive (RRA).

After this time the archive will “wrap around”: the next insertion will overwrite the oldest entry. This behavior is sometimes referred to as “round-robin” and is the reason for the program's name.

To cover several timespans and/or use several consolidation functions, an RRD file may contain multiple RRAs. The data retrieval function of RRDtool automatically selects the archive with the highest resolution that still covers the requested timespan. This mechanism is also used by RRDtool's graphing subsystem.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Added to http://docs.cacti.net/manual:087:2_basi ... _operation
Thanks for contributing
R.
Voiper99
Cacti User

Post by Voiper99 »

Not a problem at all. It is the least I can do.

Thanks for adding it to the wiki and all of your contributions to my threads. It is much appreciated.
Voiper99
Cacti User

Post by Voiper99 »

Who is etc?
Voiper99
Cacti User

Post by Voiper99 »

Glad we could help :)