Is there any documentation?

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

zuasive

Is there any documentation?

Post by zuasive »

Greetings, still relatively new but I definitely like the prospect of mac track.

Is there any documentation anywhere? I've searched but can't seem to find anything so I've been trying to wing it in configuring my Cisco 4506 which is getting me nowhere. I have configured a site, a device type, and then of course the device itself. I do have the correct vendor OID for the device as well and yet I still get an unknown.

I'm using CactiEZ and naturally I had to do the database upgrade.

Anyone?
zuasive

Re: Is there any documentation?

Post by zuasive »

There are no errors identified, it's also important to note that the device never shows up in my site when I add it.
Attachments
2010-11-30_200805.png
2010-11-30_200805.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
zuasive

Post by zuasive »

Alright so I know I'm not alone here judging by my search results from the forum and web but it appears that specific answers are not available. I tried some of the options like running cmd.php and I didn't have a single error so I switched my poller to cmd.php but still have the same results.

I'll try gandalf's debug link but.....I'm leery that the plugin is just buggy. Especially considering SNMP successfully detects the device and information, heck I even pulled the OID from it.
zuasive

Post by zuasive »

Alright so I checked logs, debugging, etc. I tried removing, re-adding, and then changing the OID. Now I have a status of ERROR but no error message indicated when I manually run the mactrack poller even verbose. How am I supposed to correct a problem if I don't get a specific error message? This is as bad as some of Microsoft's worthless error messages.
zuasive

Post by zuasive »

Alright, the answer is no. There is no documentation anywhere so good luck, lol.

I found the solution after working with my db admin/developer and it is specifically with the host name character match/length.

Do an snmpwalk of the host and get the full device string (mine was gigantic). You then have to modify the database sysDescription character length to allow the characters.

I actually found a similar posting as well but not quite.
willieb
Cacti User

Post by willieb »

I am having the same struggle of needing documentation. Anyone have any suggestions for getting started?

I added sites and devices and it appears to be scanning but I don't see any results.

What is device types and is this needed to get it working?
-willieb
WiCk3d

Post by WiCk3d »

willieb wrote:I am having the same struggle of needing documentation. Anyone have any suggestions for getting started?

I added sites and devices and it appears to be scanning but I don't see any results.

What is device types and is this needed to get it working?
Yes the device types are essential for getting Mactrack working correctly. If you get them wrong you won't jackshit back. Have a look at the device types in my current setup shown below. Mine still isn't working 100% though as it can't see or rather won't show me the IP addresses for one of my VLANS and I have no idea how to fix it. The moderators on this forum aren't very helpful either unfortunately. Hope the screenshots will shed a bit more light on your setup.
Attachments
Switch Device Type.JPG
Switch Device Type.JPG (97.22 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
Router Device Type.JPG
Router Device Type.JPG (88.12 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
JorisFRST
Cacti User

Post by JorisFRST »

Hi,

this is a small documentation i've just made on adding devices and device types :

http://www.routerjanitor.com/2011/08/ca ... evice.html

This should get you going, if it doesn't work, run a scan in debug mode from the server console,
it should give you more info about what's going wrong.
Joris.
http://www.routerjanitor.com
willieb
Cacti User

Post by willieb »

Thanks JorisFRST, that's awesome. That helps a lot. I'll see if I can get mine to work when I have time, and reply with results.
-willieb