[solved] cacti install landing page 0.8.7g: ERROR

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

mattsn0w

[solved] cacti install landing page 0.8.7g: ERROR

Post by mattsn0w »

I went to install the latest and greatest cacti and found that no matter how loosely I did the configuration (i.e. using root for everything) I kept getting this error when trying to access the install page even though I had already run the *exact* command and already granted all to root, root@localhost, and root@127.0.0.1. I also granted the same permissions with enclosing the db name, user, and host in single quotes and flushed privileges too. still the same result:
cacti-0.8.7g files
cacti-0.8.7g files
Screen shot 2010-09-28 at 5.09.47 PM.png (41.8 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Code: Select all

Error

You have created a new database, but have not yet imported the 'cacti.sql' file. At the command line, execute the following to continue:

mysql -u rodin -p cacti < cacti.sql
This error may also be generated if the cacti database user does not have correct permissions on the cacti database. Please ensure that the cacti database user has the ability to SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, CREATE, ALTER, DROP, INDEX on the cacti database.

I decided to try the previous release (0.8.7f) but none of the download linkes worked so I went with 0.8.7e. to my surprise the older version displays initial setup page perfectly fine!
cacti-0.8.7e files
cacti-0.8.7e files
Screen shot 2010-09-28 at 4.46.58 PM.png (82.41 KiB) Viewed 570 times
the permissions are the same across both directories as well as ownership.
I also did a diff of the cacti-dir/include/config.php to make sure I didn't mess up something small and stupid. both use user root to IP 127.0.0.1 to rule out errors in /etc/hosts.

Code: Select all

[root@host html]# sdiff -s cacti-0.8.7e/include/config.php cacti-0.8.7g/include/config.php 
 | Copyright (C) 2004-2009 The Cacti Group                    |  | Copyright (C) 2004-2010 The Cacti Group                   
[root@host html]# 
system is RHEL4.7 x64, apache is the vanilla RHEL apache version 2.0.52, and MySQL 4.1.22. I know, old OS but it's what I have to work with.

for now i'll just use the older version but wanted to report this issue as i'm sure this could discourage new adopters.
TheWitness
Developer

Re: new cacti install landing page - 0.8.7e: OK 0.8.7g: ERRO

Post by TheWitness »

If you are using 0.8.7g and RHEL4, you may have to pull the latest lib/database.php from the 0.8.7 branches SVN.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
mattsn0w

Re: new cacti install landing page - 0.8.7e: OK 0.8.7g: ERRO

Post by mattsn0w »

TheWitness - your suggestion worked! Thanks!