Realtime (graph), v0.33

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

kokkers

Post by kokkers »

I really like the idea of the real-time plug-in, especially the fact it enables us to watch existing graphs at a much higher resolution and refresh interval.

'Regular' Cacti is excellent for viewing trends and the big picture in general but these real-time graphs prove very valuable when doing troubleshooting or when in need to keep a close watch when handling peak load or live events. Setting up somesort of NOC dashboard with some of the more important graphs updated at a much higher interval comes to mind.

I am not sure how the realtime poller works in the back-end but could someone explain what happens if multiple people are watching the same real-time graphs at different time-spans and intervals? Does each browser spawn a realtime poller process? Each doing its own SNMP calls generating alot of overhead? Can this somehow be optimized?

I am currently looking into altering the javascript to do a seemless transition in the switch between the old and the updated realtime graph.
The image transition currently is just not looking that smooth and the visible reload is a bit distracting.

Basically this would somehow require loading the new image in the background and switch images only when the new image is entirely loaded. Too bad I am not a javascript expert and this causes massive headache.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

It could be done, but it takes more than javascript.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
whizzer929

Re: Access Denied

Post by whizzer929 »

gworg wrote:
gworg wrote:I have looked at this whole list, but I can't seem to find my issue....all I get is this, in the popup window....

You are not permitted to access this section of Cacti. If you feel that you need access to this particular section, please contact the Cacti administrator.

It looks like this is coming from auth.php, but I can't figure it out. I set all of directory perms, correctly, and nothing is showing up in any logs....anyone?

Sorry....I found it. I just notice the perm that I need to apply for users...Thanks.
qworg, Can you post the details of how you fixed this? I have the same issue. I'm a bit of a noob to linux. I know this is a permissions issue, I just don't where to fix it.

Thx
whizzer929

Post by whizzer929 »

ok, I'm an idiot. I had to check plugin -> realtime under realm permissions on the user management page. :roll:
thequigleyp

Post by thequigleyp »

I am currently looking into altering the javascript to do a seemless transition in the switch between the old and the updated realtime graph.
The image transition currently is just not looking that smooth and the visible reload is a bit distracting.
It could be done, but it takes more than javascript.
We really like using this realtime plugin, but the blinking is distracting especially when viewing several graphs. What method other than javascript could be used to make the refresh smoother? Thanks for a great plugin!
hid4msc

Post by hid4msc »

TFC wrote:
apereira wrote:I have some problem that many here...

All plugins has been installed and all path are correct... but there are no graph being made....

What can I do? I'm newbie with Cacti...

Thx
Anderson.
I have same problem :(

Code: Select all

drwxrwxrwx  2 www-data www-data   4096 2008-11-06 18:10 rcache
-rw-r--r--  1 root     root         71 2008-02-12 02:57 README
-rw-r--r--  1 root     root       1291 2008-04-10 02:44 reset_each_patch.patch
drwxr-xr-x  5 root     root       4096 2008-02-12 02:57 resource
drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data www-data   4096 2008-11-05 15:15 rra
chown www-data:www-data rcache/
and i got same problem too...
cacti 0.8.7f
plugin architecture 2.7
realtime 0.4.0-1
Dude
Cacti User

Post by Dude »

I've tried all forums and all posts on this forum too!
my realtime plugin does not show graphs..
it shows broken images!!!

1. I have cacti 0.8.7g, PIA: 2.8, realtime 0.32 (tried all versions till 0.36)
2. path/permissions on cache folder are correct
3. no errors in the cacti log
4. no error in the apache log
5. everything else is working fine!

F1 !
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Use .42
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Dude
Cacti User

Post by Dude »

0.42 fixed everything!! :) thanks all!!!!
ELDemorose

Post by ELDemorose »

[I moved the realtime folder to cacti/plugins and I'm unable to see "realtime" in PIA.
Have someone an idea?

I use PIA 2.8, Cacti 87g and realtime 0.42]

Resolved, I forgot to uninstall the old version.
Cacti Version - 0.8.7g
Plugin Architecture - 2.8
Poller Type - Spine
Server Info - Linux 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp
Web Server - Apache/2.2.3 (Linux/SUSE)
PHP - 5.2.5
MySQL - 5.0.26
RRDTool - 1.2.12
SNMP - 5.3.0.1
Plugins Autom8 - Aggregate - Realtime
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Re:

Post by Howie »

TheWitness wrote:It could be done, but it takes more than javascript.
I wrote this for a previous version of realtime. It was just javascript and a hidden img tag ;-)

1) Load image to hidden img tag
2) have an onload event handler on the hidden img tag that sets the visible img src to the same as the hidden one.
3) no flicker, no visible reload.

I think I might even have submitted patches in this thread.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
TheWitness
Developer

Re: Realtime (graph), v0.33

Post by TheWitness »

The 0.43 version is as smooth as glass.... It uses another trick. However, I think it breaks if you are not in compatibility mode on IE8. It's Microsoft again treading on/wrecking standards, and in IE8.

TheWitness

br3tth

Post by br3tth »

I just downloaded the 0.43 files from http://svn.cacti.net/viewvc/realtime/trunk

I set the permissions on the folder set for rrd files, I can see they are being created when I list the folder contents, however the graphs aren't appearing.

What am I missing/doing wrong?
Attachments
graph.png
graph.png (98.66 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Fireup firebug and use the 'net' panel to find out more. Also, what's going on in your Apache log? If this is IIS, I don't answer questions about IIS.

TheWitness

br3tth

Post by br3tth »

Thank you for the quick support. It's Apache on CentOS.

The apache log shows alot of similar messages as shown in the screenshot.
Thanks.
Last edited by br3tth on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.