Syslog 1.0 Released

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

Do I need to configure devices to send log messages to the cacti host once this is installed or can it pick up messages from an existing log host?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You can point the syslog tool at an existing configuration. However, it needs to support the format dictated by the syslog plugin. So, you need either syslog-ng or rsyslog there as a start.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
msw1970
Cacti User

Post by msw1970 »

What about if there's no current syslog? Can this plugin have log messages sent to it or do they need to go elsewhere?

Sorry, i'm a little confused as to how this plugin gets the syslog data to analyse?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Google it hereand you will find instructions.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Linegod
Developer

Post by Linegod »

I've added more documentation to http://docs.cacti.net/plugin:syslog
--
Live fast, die young
You're sucking up my bandwidth.

J.P. Pasnak,CD
CCNA, LPIC-1
http://www.warpedsystems.sk.ca
michaelzhao

Post by michaelzhao »

Just upgraded to v1.04 from beta5 and getting:

Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 52

Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 63

Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 66

Notice: Undefined index: in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 941
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Re-download. The original file at http://docs.cacti.net had an issue and was re-posted. Hopefully it's the right one....

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

It's not the correct file. Give me about 20 minutes to fix.

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Please download again. All fixed now.

egarnel
Cacti Pro User

Post by egarnel »

hmm.... the url path is not working now after the upgrade to the latest

Code: Select all

...com/cacti/plugins/syslog/plugins/syslog/syslog.php?tab=syslog
it is appending an extra /plugins/syslog to the path now
Cacti1 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
Cacti2 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
King of the Elves
Local Anarchists Union #427
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey
michaelzhao

Post by michaelzhao »

I got the samething plus

Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 85

Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 90

Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 99

Notice: Undefined variable: config in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 103
Syslogs
Notice: Undefined variable: current_tab in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 99

Notice: Undefined variable: config in /var/www/html/plugins/syslog/syslog.php on line 103

Failed to access the following page:

http://xxx.xxx.com/plugins/syslog/plugi ... tab=syslog

http://xxx.xxx.com/plugins/syslog/plugi ... tab=alerts
Last edited by michaelzhao on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

Post by egarnel »

yeah, me too (in /var/log/httpd/error_log)
Cacti1 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
Cacti2 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
King of the Elves
Local Anarchists Union #427
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, going nuts. Should have tested. Give me a little more time... Will do a -3 package.

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Try again:

1.04-3

TheWitness

michaelzhao

Post by michaelzhao »

No errors now, but lots bugs:

When creating alert rule, can't change the "Syslog Message Match String
" field, it just doesn't take what you modified if you click on the ! sign to create the rule, or that field always shows as "0" if you click on "add" to create the rule.

When create a removals rule, after you hit "Save" or "Create", you got a blank white page in your broswer and the rule won't be created.

When you try to delete/enable/disable a report filters, you got:

<input type='submit' value='Continue' title='Disable Syslog Report(s)

beside the Cancel button.