Release of Cacti 0.8.7g

Important information about Cacti developments that all users should be interested in.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Release of Cacti 0.8.7g

Post by rony »

Release of Cacti 0.8.7g

We the Cacti Group are proud to release the following:
  • Cacti 0.8.7g
  • Spine 0.8.7g
  • Cacti Plugin Architecture 2.8 for Cacti 0.8.7g
Cacti 0.8.7g Change Log
  • bug: Implement windows-aware shell escaping
  • bug: Fixed multiple cross site scripting vulnerabilities reported by Tomas Hoger of the Red Hat Security Response Team
  • bug#0001292: Over 8TByte Partition in Windows cant get correct data from snmp
  • bug#0001486: Unable to login after redirection to access denied page
  • bug#0001516: "Show the page that user pointed their browser" does not seem to work
  • bug#0001561: Over zelous HTML excaping on filter strings
  • bug#0001575: LDAP-Authentifications does not work due to ldap_host being set incorrect
  • bug#0001587: Feature from bug#0001271 breaks on large values
  • bug#0001607: Web Basic authentication does not work with fastcgi
  • bug#0001620: Max OID''s max value reported incorrectly in Web UI
  • bug#0001747: oid_suffix do not work correctly for input direction on data queries
  • bug#0001756: Alternate font styles do not work correctly
  • bug#0001763: Unable to add graph permissions on a user
  • bug#0001757: LDAP realm authentication outputs warning for undefined index
  • bug#0001765: Tech support does not work correctly with RRDTool 1.4.x
  • bug#0001766: Page refresh setting not being honored
  • bug#0001771: "index count changed" not implemented for query_unix_partitions.pl, query_host_partitions.pl, query_cpu_partitions.pl, ss_host_cpu.php and ss_host_disk.php
  • bug#0001773: Character encoding problem after upgrade to 0.8.7f
  • bug#0001775: Tech support page does account for no memory limit set for PHP
  • bug#0001776: Simultaneous databases connections are not supported
Cacti Plugin Architecture Upgrade Information

Change to global.php and config.php
  • For legacy plugins, those that must be installed in global.php, we have moved the plugins array out of global.php and into config.php. This was done to insure that global.php remains pristine. It is a file that is not intended to be modified, so with the PIA installed, you should not have to.
  • The variable "URL_PATH" has also been moved from global.php to config.php for the same reason as the plugins array. For those of you upgrading from very old Plugin Architectures you should know that in the past, we attempted to "detect" this path. However, the process was not reliable. Therefore, you have to specify that path in config.php.
Visual Changes in Cacti

Visual changes will not impact the functionality of existing plugins. However, due to some poor practices, some of the page rendering may be a bit off.

To address this issue, The Cacti Group has prepared releases of approximately 17 existing plugins in our stable of addon's to maintain a consistent look and feel.

There has been quite a bit of work put into these updated plugins. If you find that there is a feature that you want or need that did not make it into an updated plugin, please open a feature request at http://www.cacti.net/bugs.php .

Changes to Cacti's Core

There are two changes in the Core of Cacti that will affect some plugins. The first change is that we have provided RRDtool segfault detection and correction in Cacti 0.8.7g. What this means to plugins that leverage our rrdtool_function_* functions is that for graphing and certain other functions, those plugins will require a minor change. To date, the plugins that we know of, are THold, Boost, and Realtime. We have not performed a comprehensive audit off all plugins, if you experience problems you should seek out your Plugins' developers to determine the impact.

The other core change in Cacti 0.8.7g, is Cacti's ability to detect SNMP time-outs in the core SNMP functions. So, if you are using cmd.php or you are using things like MacTrack, that leverage the SNMP API in Cacti, you will have much more capabilities to detect problems in the behaviour of Cacti by simply going to the Cacti log file.

Functional Changes in the PIA

When you go to the Plugin Management page, you will notice a fairly significant change. In this release, we tuned up the Plugin Management interface to make it a bit easier to understand how your plugins are loaded and controlled. There is now the concept of a System plugin and a General plugin. You can also define the load order of your PIA 2.x plugins. This is important in that some plugins require other plugins be loaded first in order to work properly. We still do not have an API to control this. That will be delivered in the next release of Cacti. However, for those of your who have been locked down to having your plugins in PIA 1.x due to the load ordering issue, that barrier will be removed in this release.

Reporting Bugs

It's important that you use the forums to have a discussion with amongst the members of the Cacti Community. However, when you find a bug, you need to make sure that you use the appropriate forum to open and bring those bugs to a close. That forum is the Cacti bug tracker ( http://www.cacti.net/bugs.php ). All the developers use this tool religiously. So, we need you to do that as well.

Download Cacti

http://www.cacti.net/download_cacti.php

Download Plugin Architecture

http://www.cacti.net/downloads/pia/cact ... 2.8.tar.gz

Download Spine

http://www.cacti.net/spine_download.php

Thanks!
The Cacti Group
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Code: Select all

|diff -Naur cacti-0.8.7g-old/images/disable_icon.png cacti-0.8.7g/images/disable_icon.png
|--- cacti-0.8.7g-old/images/disable_icon.png   1969-12-31 19:00:00.000000000 -0500
|+++ cacti-0.8.7g/images/disable_icon.png       2010-07-09 18:34:11.000000000 -0400
--------------------------
(Creating file images/disable_icon.png...)
Patching file images/disable_icon.png using Plan A...
patch: **** malformed patch at line 384: diff -Naur cacti-0.8.7g-old/images/enable_icon_disabled.png cacti-0.8.7g/images/enable_icon_disabled.png
not sure why the PA would want to change an icon, but it seems to fail at it.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Running F12, this was not an issue for me.
The patch makes sense if the icon itself was changed.
R.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

gandalf wrote:Running F12, this was not an issue for me.
The patch makes sense if the icon itself was changed.
R.
This was FreeBSD 6.4

I used the files instead.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
nilas12

Post by nilas12 »

When trying to download the new release:
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Apparently the spine 0.8.7g binaries are not ready yet (bug TheWitness :P).
zoemu
Cacti User

cacti path not set properly

Post by zoemu »

I've just downloaded version g that was released a few days ago. I did a clean new install, and I've noticed some small errors with some plugins

the code line

$plugins = array();
was ommitted from the config.php, and as a result old PIA plugins would not install. Once I placed it back it was OK.

I've also noticed that the cacti path is not being set properly when displaying/accessing a plugin (see attachement).

Also I've Noticed that the following code was also ommitted from the config.php

$config['url_path'] = '/cacti/';

define('URL_PATH', $config['url_path']);

Is the above code supposed to left out ? and if yes, where can we set the cacti's path

Thank you

LA
Attachments
123.png
123.png (16.42 KiB) Viewed 57280 times
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

When installing PIA 2.8, did you use full file replacement or patches?
The mechanics are explained above in the section on PIA.
R.
zoemu
Cacti User

Post by zoemu »

My Apologies,I'm so dumb... did not rename config.php.dist....

aaaggghhh....

Thank you

LA
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

PIA 2.8 has a /include/config.php.dist file. I've found out that one needs to rename/backup their existing config.php, replace it with config.php.dist, and then make the appropriate changes.

PIA documentation is still woefully outdated: http://cactiusers.org/wiki/PluginsInstall which is leading to user confusion.
zoemu
Cacti User

Post by zoemu »

thank u I've just realized that.....

So Sorry

LA
Linegod
Developer

Post by Linegod »

BSOD2600 wrote: PIA documentation is still woefully outdated: http://cactiusers.org/wiki/PluginsInstall which is leading to user confusion.
I will recreate this at docs and update.
--
Live fast, die young
You're sucking up my bandwidth.

J.P. Pasnak,CD
CCNA, LPIC-1
http://www.warpedsystems.sk.ca
nuzzy

Post by nuzzy »

How do I import the pa.sql file again? I've lost those brain cells :lol:
Last edited by nuzzy on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sergey_taurus

Post by sergey_taurus »

Hi,
I've updated FreeBSD8 ports tree but it still states 0.8.7f (which is not recommended to install) as the most recent release.

Could someone from development group commit an update to FreeBSD ports? Thanks.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

sergey_taurus wrote:Hi,
I've updated FreeBSD8 ports tree but it still states 0.8.7f (which is not recommended to install) as the most recent release.

Could someone from development group commit an update to FreeBSD ports? Thanks.
I suspect that the port maintainer is on vacation at the moment. No, and it's not me.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?