Lots of Oracle-DB Templates if anyone shows interest

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

jerrison
Cacti User

Lots of Oracle-DB Templates if anyone shows interest

Post by jerrison »

Hi there,

Update: you can find all instructions under: http://docs.cacti.net/usertemplate:graph:oracle

if any one is interested i´d be willing to upload and more importantly describe how to monitor an oracle-DB with cati (mine is 10.1g). The templates should work for other Oracle-versions as well, if you are brave enough to get the "subagent" up and running. If anyone needs a hand with 10.1/2g i´ll post how i got it running under W2K3.

I´m not a db-admin so i created all the graphs that the oracle-snmp guide suggested (from page 60, book is attached).

so again, if anyone wants some, i´ll start putting it together and post templates/scripts, etc. I attached just some of the graphs not all of them (total is about 23)

cheers,
jerrison
Attachments
oracle chr.JPG
oracle chr.JPG (38.5 KiB) Viewed 10487 times
oracle cpt.JPG
oracle cpt.JPG (50.19 KiB) Viewed 10487 times
oracle ft.JPG
oracle ft.JPG (45.59 KiB) Viewed 10487 times
oracle block changes.JPG
oracle block changes.JPG (48.78 KiB) Viewed 10487 times
Last edited by jerrison on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Linegod
Developer

Post by Linegod »

The Oracle manual is copyrighted material, and cannot be distributed unless authorized by Oracle, so I have removed it.

Feel free to post the templates and the instructions (with a link to the manual) at:

http://docs.cacti.net/templates
http://docs.cacti.net/templates.guidelines
--
Live fast, die young
You're sucking up my bandwidth.

J.P. Pasnak,CD
CCNA, LPIC-1
http://www.warpedsystems.sk.ca
jerrison
Cacti User

Post by jerrison »

okay,

here´s the link to the manual:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/A973 ... h3.htm#424

i´d like to only make the effort of writing all the steps down in english if someone is really interested...since it´s quite a bit of work for me :).
Linegod
Developer

Post by Linegod »

I find that nobody will say anything until you put it up, then they will complain about what is missing :)
--
Live fast, die young
You're sucking up my bandwidth.

J.P. Pasnak,CD
CCNA, LPIC-1
http://www.warpedsystems.sk.ca
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

I for one (to be the first, of course :)) am very interested in these templates.
If you could post them, and a description of what to do, I'd really appreciate it.

If you'd like to write the walk-through in your native language, you could always use google translator to convert it to English. This tool is not perfect, but it could save you time.

Thanks
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
jerrison
Cacti User

Post by jerrison »

it´s just one person i needed to say he´d like to have it :).
otherwise it´s just a waste of everyone´s time i think.

so i´m gonna get to it tomorrow and i´ll make sure to post it on the wiki as well. have done that before, too.

cheers
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Many thanks. Look forward to that
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
Joop

Post by Joop »

jerrison wrote:it´s just one person i needed to say he´d like to have it :).
otherwise it´s just a waste of everyone´s time i think.
Well, make that two to ask :D

I have had this on my list for quite a while and I'm looking forward to see if you have done it the same way as I would have. Reading your first post indicates that we are on the same track.

Nice work.

Regards,

Joop
jerrison
Cacti User

Post by jerrison »

okay,

here´s what i came up with. It´s a PDF since i plan to put it into the Cacti Wiki as well and i happen to use dokuwiki as well :).

I need to state that my instructions worked for me and i surely hope that someone else might benefit from that but there´s no guarantee as we all know :).

So here you have it, see if it suits you.
Attachments
Setting up SNMP for Oracle 10g under W2K3.pdf
PDF with instructions on how to get Oracle monitored on a Windows Server
(125.15 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
Oracle-Templates and Scripts.zip
All Scripts and Graph/DataQuery-Templates in one Archive
(122.08 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
ravibhure

Post by ravibhure »

Hey Jerrison,
All wonders to check with the oracle cacti template, I would like to go this but :cry: how I can do all this on linux x86_64 where I haven't w2k3 (not single microsoft window to look around), can you please help me out to setup the things,
The part I have done only is to downloaded the agent on my linux box, that is the zip file Linux_x86_64_Grid_Control_agent_download_11_1_0_1_0.zip

-Ravi
Joop

Post by Joop »

ravibhure wrote:Hey Jerrison,
All wonders to check with the oracle cacti template, I would like to go this but :cry: how I can do all this on linux x86_64 where I haven't w2k3 (not single microsoft window to look around), can you please help me out to setup the things,
The part I have done only is to downloaded the agent on my linux box, that is the zip file Linux_x86_64_Grid_Control_agent_download_11_1_0_1_0.zip

-Ravi
Just start the installer after you have unpacked the archive. The question about which host/port to connect you answer with localhost and a number.
It will complain but go on installing the agent. Follow the docs for changing the mentioned files and follow the mentioned documentation on the site of Oracle but for linux/unix not for windows.

I did this recently for my Centos5 based Oracle RT installation and things were reasonable smooth, but then I used the 10.2.x version of the Agent.

Only thing left is to get more datasources in one graph. The documentation is a bit scarce in that respect, or my Cacti knowledge is lacking.

Regards,

Joop
jerrison
Cacti User

Post by jerrison »

Hey Ravi,

you basically just need to get the emsubagent going, oracle gotta hae some documentation for linux there as well.
The rest is just importing cacti-oracle-templates.

@joop
you can create all graphs that make sense to you, since i only have one huge DataSource with all the values i could grab from Oracle.

There are excellent tutorials how to create your own graph in the Cacti manual: http://docs.cacti.net/manual:087:2_basi ... irst_graph -> for starters.

I got all the stuff i needed from that manual :).

cheers,
jerri
paleogryph

Re: Lots of Oracle-DB Templates if anyone shows interest

Post by paleogryph »

Cacti 0.8.7g on Centos 5.5.
Oracle 10g on Windows 2K3 R2 SP2.

After much trouble(shooting) we managed to get the subagent running.

However, I get this when walking it:
[root@cacti_server ~]# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public oracle_server:1161 .1.3.6.1.4.1.111.4
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.111.4 = No more variables left in this MIB View (It is past the end of the MIB tree)

I have imported the snmp_queries and templates. I have created the data sources, etc; However I get no data from those queries.

What am I missing?
:roll:
Thanks!
jerrison
Cacti User

Post by jerrison »

Hi paleogryph,

a few questions: did u setup the emsubagent for port 161 or 1161? Oracle suggests moving the "original" snmp service to 1161
and let the emsubagent run with 161.

I never tried snmp v2, i think! What ist your result with snmp v1?

As long as the snmp query doesnt show results, your data sources will not get "filled".

I hope that helps!

Hang in there, my DB-Guys assure me, it was worth the rather hefty effort (no thanks to Oracle)!
paleogryph

Post by paleogryph »

Yea, it's port 1611. Actually, it has to be that port. There is something in an Oracle config file somewhere that sets that port, and I haven't been able to find it. In other words, if I try to use the standard SNMP port I get nothing, unless of course I'm not using the emsubagent.

In my experiences in the past with that error, it's usually a problem with a snmpd.conf file(*nix). However, I only get that error trying to walk .1.3.6.1.4.1.111.4. I can get all the other "normal" Windows mib infos.

I will try version 1, though I don't think it matters. I think there is something in one of those Oracle config files I need to change.

Thanks for replying!