No graphs and SNMP not polling

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

infodood

No graphs and SNMP not polling

Post by infodood »

I installed cacti with the following versions:

Win2kProSP4
cacti - 0.8.6a (upgraded from 0.8.6)
mysql - 4.0.21
PHP - 4.3.9RC3
Apache - 2.0.50
RRDTOOL - 1.0.48

My hosts all say SNMP error on the devices page and there are no graphs being generated. I can poll the hosts successfully with a MIBwalker, so they are responding. When I sniff the ethernet port of the cacti box, I don't even see anything being sent for the SNMP GET. Another symptom is no .rrd files in the rra folder...HELP!

When I do a verbose query, I get either this for interface stats:
+ Running data query [1].
+ Found type = '3' [snmp query].
+ Found data query XML file at 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/resource/snmp_queries/interface.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing SNMP walk for list of indexes @ '.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1'
+ No SNMP data returned
+ Found data query XML file at 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/resource/snmp_queries/interface.xml'

or this for CPU stats:
+ Running data query [9].
+ Found type = '6 '[script query].
+ Found data query XML file at 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/resource/script_server/host_cpu.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing script for list of indexes 'c:\php\php.exe -q C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti\scripts\ss_host_cpu.php 192.168.10.230 3b1tda2oo1 1 index'
+ Executing script query 'c:\php\php.exe -q C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti\scripts\ss_host_cpu.php 192.168.10.230 3b1tda2oo1 1 query index'
+ Found data query XML file at 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/resource/script_server/host_cpu.xml'

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Is the php.ini file set correctly with the extension php_snmp.dll uncommented?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
infodood

Post by infodood »

Yes, I have the stuff below uncommented.

extension_dir = c:\php\extensions
extension=php_snmp.dll
extension=php_sockets.dll

//Chris
infodood

Post by infodood »

I got the SNMP error straight. My path was wrong in the cacti settings. Now Cacti returns the router's version info at the top of the device page.

I still get this error in a graph debug:
ERROR: opening 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/pix_5min_cpu_23.rrd': No such file or directory

I also still have the same messages from the verbose SNMP listed in my first post.

Let me know if any additional info will help to diagnose.

//Chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Crap. I missed this one. "My hosts all say SNMP error on the devices page and there are no graphs being generated." Download a product called "Getif" from the internet and try to poll the devices from there. It looks like you have an invalid SNMP read community.

Sorry for the confusion.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
infodood

Post by infodood »

The SNMP error is actually gone now. I had left the snmp paths as <default> in cacti. Now, cacti grabs the version information from the router and displays it on the device page.

I still just see a bunch of those little 'X' placeholders for the graphs. Even the button called 'graph it' in graph management>edit is a placeholder. It has always been like this. When I turn on graph debug mode, I keep getting this:

RRDTool Says:

ERROR: opening 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/3640_5min_cpu_18.rrd': No such file or directory

The rra folder is there, but it's empty.

The SNMP log is still the same as I first posted with the no data returned. When I hook a sniffer up to the thing, I don't see anything come out when poller.php runs.

I did try the getif thing...it gets all of the snmp stuff and graphs fine.
//chris
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, I am pretty confused about this one. If you are using SNMP V1 and the PHP SNMP extensions are in use, then you do NOT require the SNMPWALK and SNMPGET paths.

So, I think you may, and I repeat, may have multiple PHP.INI files. You should check your system. Then there is an environment variable called PHPRC that should be set to "c:\php" and then place your PHP.INI file there.

With respect to the "No such file or directory", you may have a permissions problem, you Web server ID may not have full permissions to the RRA folder. It will also need full permissions to the LOG directory.

Hope this helps.

TheWitness

infodood

Post by infodood »

Thanks man, I'll try it out now.
//chris
infodood

Post by infodood »

I tried the PHPRC variable and it didn't change anything. Based on the fact that i should not require the SNMPWALK paths...I removed them to mayhaps uncover the real problem. ...Now when I go to the devices page and select a device--- under the device name where it says SNMP information, I have 'SNMP error' in red again.

As for permissions, I have recursive full control for everyone on c:\ for testing purposes.

Any ideas?
//chris
infodood

Post by infodood »

Sheesh man. I left everything it was in my last post...the SNMP error, the newly added PHPRC variable, the weird debugs...

I rebooted and now the interface SNMP is actualy getting data. The CPU data sources aren't working and the graphs are still dead, but I can see that it's getting data!

LMK if you have any more ideas.
//chris
infodood

Post by infodood »

I think I figured it out. The path RRDTOOL keeps barking at is this:
'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra/3640_traffic_in_19.rrd'

If I cd to 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti/rra', winders hates it and drops me in the last valid directory in the string (or where it encounters a / where it expected a \ ). Anyways, I end up in 'C:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti'.

If I replace the /rra with a \rra, it drops me right where I need to be.

Where does rrdtool go to get the path for rra? I think that if I fix this, I may see some improvement with graphing.
//chris
infodood

Post by infodood »

Okay, I replaced my PHP.ini with a new one and I can see graphs of traffic stats. I was using PHP.ini-recommended and switched back to php.ini-dist. Some graphs kick back errors, but it is a step in the right direction.
When adding interface 95th percentile...
RRDTool Says:

ERROR: invalid rpn expression 'a,8,*'

Still can't get processor information from a cisco...is there a change I need to make to the default polling method to make this work?
//chris
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

infodood wrote:I was using PHP.ini-recommended and switched back to php.ini-dist. Some graphs kick back errors, but it is a step in the right direction.
Heh, you must have read my post since thats the same thing I did.
infodood wrote:Still can't get processor information from a cisco...is there a change I need to make to the default polling method to make this work?
Can you properly poll the device with GetIF for the OID you're telling cacti to poll?

Post by Guest »

Yep, it was your post, THX.

I'll check the getif thing out today. With a little playing around, now I can get processor & interface data from a router, but only interface data from a PIX.