Private Message Attack

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

NMistry73

Private Message Attack

Post by NMistry73 »

I could not find another thread for this, so i thought to let people know. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

A few mins ago i got this private message from the user: Davietorr. The link included in the message goes to a site that firefox reports as an attack page. (i did not click on it, i looked up their IP#).

If you got this message too, delete it right away.

Hope this helps.
-N
(ps. I modified the link below)
Subject: HELLO!

Dear, forum member!

There are viruses' activities from your computer! Highly recommend you to scan your computer for malicious and potentially unwanted software. If you do not follow this, I will have to make a complaint to your Internet Service Provider with attached log file (your IP address, etc.). If you want to find a report about your computer's security and solve every problem with it, please click here:

http://www.total-****.com/detected/NMistry73

This is an online service that you can use for free spyware removal. Use it to scan your computer to help protect, clean, and keep your computer running at its best. Use the free scan to check for and remove viruses, spyware, and other potentially malicious software and to find vulnerabilities or shortcomings in your Internet security.

Thank you. Yours truly, David Torres.
Hexis

Post by Hexis »

++

Also one from LadyROOT:

Code: Select all

Dear, Hexis! 

A virus alert was noticed on your computer. 
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://antivirus.*****eds.com/Hexis
They are in my inbox still if the actual message helps with some meta tracking information. Have fun admins.
ldevantier

Post by ldevantier »

Here's also the profile link of another PM spammer:
http://forums.cacti.net/profile.php?mod ... le&u=27274

PM'd me some sort of review/links message about a 'District 9' movie.
To: ldevantier
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 am
Subject: Great movie! Quote message
Hello, ldevantier!
Recommend you watch this movie:

District 9 (2009)

Description: An extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on Earth suddenly finds a kindred spirit in a government agent that is exposed to their biotechnology.

IMDB Rating: 8.60

You can watch this movie on your PC, IPod, PDA! Enjoy!

http://hq-movies.co.cc/?movie_id=380635
You guys need to fix your verification captcha's or something?
[vr]

Post by [vr] »

I received one similar to ldevantier but the movie was daybreakers.
Cacti: 0.8.7e (from cacti.net)
Plugin Architecture: 2.5
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

If and when you receive one of these messages, I would appreciate it if you would forward me the message in a PM.

We are working on solutions to the problem. One, the phisher seem to be getting more creative. But, I don't understand why they thing they will have any rate of return from a forum full of system administrators.....

Again, if you receive a PM with anything that is spammy, suspicious or phishing, please forward it to me immediately and I will investigate and potentially remove the offending users.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
speedbird

Post by speedbird »

rony wrote:If and when you receive one of these messages, I would appreciate it if you would forward me the message in a PM.

We are working on solutions to the problem. One, the phisher seem to be getting more creative. But, I don't understand why they thing they will have any rate of return from a forum full of system administrators.....

Again, if you receive a PM with anything that is spammy, suspicious or phishing, please forward it to me immediately and I will investigate and potentially remove the offending users.

Did you guys start deleting these from inboxes? I got a notification that a PM was waiting, but when I log in the only one I have was from Jan 12. Not complaining, by any means, just curious.

Cheers.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Yes, when identified, PM's are removed from the offending users.
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
rukshankb

Post by rukshankb »

Report it for admin is the best option. It seems too many spammers are trying to attack our community.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

rukshankb wrote:Report it for admin is the best option. It seems too many spammers are trying to attack our community.
I am the admin.