Increasing poller runtime and interval

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

beccara

Increasing poller runtime and interval

Post by beccara »

Hi guy :)

I'm in the process of setting up cacti to monitor a large number of Mikrotik Accesspoint and their clients that are attached and I've run into a problem.

The Mikrotik template and scripts that I have from here are sluggish and the runtime limit of 5 minutes is too short, How do I go about setting up cacti so that it poll's every 30 minutes and allows the spine process to run for upto 30 minutes?

I'm using SPINE and seem to have run into a limit of:
02/15/2010 09:49:43 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:278.6993 Method:spine Processes:2 Threads:5 Hosts:38 HostsPerProcess:19 DataSources:185 RRDsProcessed:197

But do get

02/15/2010 09:55:03 AM - SPINE: Poller[0] ERROR: Spine Timed Out While Processing Hosts Internal

from time to time, I've tried changing the Data template step value of 1800 and the poller crontab to 30min but it seems to still have a runtime limit.
The above is a test set of the datasources I intend to use which number 600-800

I dont mind if the changes are global as the cacti box will only be monitoring the Mikrotik systems. I'm not a programmer so changeing the Mikrotik template to work better (Seems to be a very large amount of SNMP requests which invovle it getting the entire wireless reg table and sifting thru it for the device mac address)

Thanks

Beccara
beccara

Post by beccara »

Anybody? This cant be that hard can it?
charlesdf23
Cacti User

Post by charlesdf23 »

I personally have never seen a poller that high. I've only seen 1 minute and 5 minute.

What happens when you poll every 5 minutes? Does the device show down or just doesn't grab any information.

I'm not familiar with the templates you are using, but is it possible to glean the mib's and try to walk them and figure out the time from that?
beccara

Post by beccara »

Its the script thats running slow, running it at 5mins ends the poller early and only gets about 1/5 of the devices.

It really should be that hard to increase polling time byond 5 minutes