FreeBSD and Cacti (Memory and Bandwidth monitoring)

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Simba7

FreeBSD and Cacti (Memory and Bandwidth monitoring)

Post by Simba7 »

I'm trying to figure out how to monitor bandwidth usage from each of my ethernet ports and memory usage from the system.

I have twin Quad Port 10/100 cards (dc0-7), a Ralink 11g Wireless card (ral0), an Etherlink III Card (ep0), a D-Link GBit Card (nge0), and an AT 10/100BaseFX card (fxp0) installed in my router. I would like to monitor how much traffic is going in and out of each port.

..and I am also wondering if I *HAVE* to install Linux Emulation into my FreeBSD kernel. It's not a problem if it's absolutely needed.

..Oh.. Is there a way to monitor bandwidth by MAC (or IP) address? That way I know which system is sucking up bandwidth and can chew the kids out accordingly. I would be willing to run SNMP on each computer.
idle
Cacti User

Re: FreeBSD and Cacti (Memory and Bandwidth monitoring)

Post by idle »

Simba7 wrote:..and I am also wondering if I *HAVE* to install Linux Emulation into my FreeBSD kernel. It's not a problem if it's absolutely needed.
No need.
..Oh.. Is there a way to monitor bandwidth by MAC (or IP) address? That way I know which system is sucking up bandwidth and can chew the kids out accordingly. I would be willing to run SNMP on each computer.
SNMP doesn't work with MAC or IP address.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

If you ran SNMP on each computer, then you don't really care about IP address because you know which interface on which computer is producing the traffic. Just add SNMP to each computer, then add them as devices in Cacti.

You don't need the linux emulation to do interface traffic, only for the memory using Cacti's built-in /proc script. I monitor interface traffic, disk space, memory usage, cpu usage and load average using only the net-snmp port installed on each of our FreeBSD servers.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
xolo

Post by xolo »

ooo...as for me i use ProteMac Meter///