Autom8 V0.31 [Nov, 20 2009]

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Mattza

Post by Mattza »

Howie wrote:
Mattza wrote:I think you are correct, problem is i skipped the cli.patch because i didn't understand what to do when i got prompet "File to patch:". Im suppose to patch the a number of iles in the "cli" folder right? Problem is i cant find where its located, im not even sure i have it.

I know this topic have been discussed before. But it didn't solve my problem. But now everything works fine for me, except this stupid error...
The cli folder is in the root cacti folder. BUT, if you use the command line in the README file then patch should not be asking you for a filename - it should know. The filename is in the patch file header.
Im pretty sure there is no CLI-folder at all. Can't find those files it wants to patch at all in my entire system... How do i solve this problem, can't understand why the cli folder is missing. Im using Cacti 0.8.7b and Plugin Architecure 2.1.

BUT if there is no files to patch, how can i get an error of something it isn't able to use at all? This plugin should not be able to work then? Wierd..
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Which OS are you using and where did you get the cacti code?
Unfortunately, some distro packagers change our file layout. So they may have moved the code around which makes our life more stressing theses days
R.
xarses

Post by xarses »

Just read through the manual and the thread. It looks awesome, I'd damn near say that it should be built in. On that note, I'd also suggest that it be able to AUTOM8 any of the other plugin's that have stuff created per host.

I also understand the reluctance to make it work with someone else's code; however might I recommend some formally published hooks in AUTOM8 so that the other plugin's might be able to use your awesome system and not have to write their own. Don't ask me what they would look like, I can barely read php.

X
Mattza

Post by Mattza »

gandalf wrote:Which OS are you using and where did you get the cacti code?
Unfortunately, some distro packagers change our file layout. So they may have moved the code around which makes our life more stressing theses days
R.
im using Linux Debian and i installed it from apt-get packet handler. Would that have removed the cli package?

Thanks for the support!
grazog

Post by grazog »

grazog wrote:Hello,

Had you got spare time to look at the add graph on custom tree problem ?

Regards,
Brice

Hello,

I reinstalled from scratch and made some more test :
tree rule and graph rule work fine if i just activate them in the tree rule&graph rule subtrees and enabled the graph tree creation and rule tree creation in settings->misc subtree.
If i try to use the "Apply the autom8 rules" dropdown menu in the graph management tree i have the behaviour i previously described : all the graph are put in the same subtree instead of being splitted between several subtrees

Regards,
Brice
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

xarses wrote:Just read through the manual and the thread. It looks awesome, I'd damn near say that it should be built in. On that note, I'd also suggest that it be able to AUTOM8 any of the other plugin's that have stuff created per host.

I also understand the reluctance to make it work with someone else's code; however might I recommend some formally published hooks in AUTOM8 so that the other plugin's might be able to use your awesome system and not have to write their own. Don't ask me what they would look like, I can barely read php.

X
Well, and here is the problem. I'm not against making it core or integrating hooks. But which and where? I need some precise requests to do it.
R.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

grazog wrote:
grazog wrote:Hello,

Had you got spare time to look at the add graph on custom tree problem ?

Regards,
Brice

Hello,

tree rule and graph rule work fine if i just activate them in the tree rule&graph rule subtrees and enabled the graph tree creation and rule tree creation in settings->misc subtree.
If i try to use the "Apply the autom8 rules" dropdown menu in the graph management tree i have the behaviour i previously described : all the graph are put in the same subtree instead of being splitted between several subtrees

Regards,
Brice
I recently fixed some few bugs but did not find time to publish. Still some more testing required. But currently my focus is "mailgraph", then 088. So perhaps I will publish the fix release without further testing.
R.
grazog

Post by grazog »

gandalf wrote:
grazog wrote:
Hello,

Regards,
Brice
I recently fixed some few bugs but did not find time to publish. Still some more testing required. But currently my focus is "mailgraph", then 088. So perhaps I will publish the fix release without further testing.
R.
Hello,

I'm ready to test the fix release and tell you what it changes.
Regards,
Brice
Mattza

Post by Mattza »

How can i get the cli files to work with my cacti installation? Should i just reinstall from scratch. Is apt-get and aptitude know to exclude package for Cacti?

Cheers // Mattias
Linegod
Developer

Post by Linegod »

Mattza wrote:How can i get the cli files to work with my cacti installation? Should i just reinstall from scratch. Is apt-get and aptitude know to exclude package for Cacti?

Cheers // Mattias
I would suggest installing from the official Cacti package, as several distribution packages either move things around, or omit packages.
--
Live fast, die young
You're sucking up my bandwidth.

J.P. Pasnak,CD
CCNA, LPIC-1
http://www.warpedsystems.sk.ca
disorganizer
Cacti User

Post by disorganizer »

hi gandalf,

today i installed a windows cacti server (with the installer from the forum) and noticed that i had to patch the files manually... after that the plugin works fine for me (thats what i always wanted for cacti).

nevertheless, i found something of which i dont know whether its a general problem, by design or whether i forgot to patch something:

when i enter a new host or apply the rules to an existing one which does not have any ds or graphs it creates everything as expected.
BUT
if i then reindex or apply the rules again, every ds and every graph is created again instead of just modifying the settings for the existing graphs and maybe deleting obsolete graphs not fitting to the rules any more.

the expected behaviour of the script imho should be:
1) if the datasource does not exist then create it
2) if the graph does not exist create it with the rule. if it exists reapply the rule for the graph settings (name, graph template etc). alternatively leave it alone

if this is the expected behaviour, how can i rediscover a host if for example new interfaces are added?

EDIT:
i had another problem with devices with a huge number of interfaces. the script just returned an empty page after 30 seconds. though i think this may be a system timer i need to modify i had to uninstall the script.
now im searching for a script to filter the interface list ... *sigh*
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

disorganizer wrote:if i then reindex or apply the rules again, every ds and every graph is created again instead of just modifying the settings for the existing graphs and maybe deleting obsolete graphs not fitting to the rules any more.?
This qualifies for a bug.
EDIT:
i had another problem with devices with a huge number of interfaces. the script just returned an empty page after 30 seconds. though i think this may be a system timer i need to modify i had to uninstall the script.
now im searching for a script to filter the interface list ... *sigh*
It is indeed very likely that this happens. To be honest, I did not pay too much attention to performance, it simply loops over loops over ...
And 30 sec. is the default php.ini timeout. But it is possible to change that at runtime. Until then, you may simply want to change the php.ini parameter and restart httpd to take effect.
R.
disorganizer
Cacti User

Post by disorganizer »

gandalf wrote:And 30 sec. is the default php.ini timeout. But it is possible to change that at runtime.
found this slightly before you posted it :-)
if i then reindex or apply the rules again, every ds and every graph is created again
good to know above bug is obviously really a bug and not something i did wrong with the installation. hopefully this can be reproduced and fixed soon.

another question:
does autom8 also reapply the suggested names to datasources and graphs when reindexing a device if they exist with another name? this would be VERY helpful especially when using |query_ifalias| for ds names.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

disorganizer wrote:another question:
does autom8 also reapply the suggested names to datasources and graphs when reindexing a device if they exist with another name? this would be VERY helpful especially when using |query_ifalias| for ds names.
This is at least nothing I intended to do. We first should think about the best place this has to be done, e.g. core cacti code?
R.
terziyski
Cacti User

Post by terziyski »

Gandalf,

I think there is a problem with host.php.patch from paches-087e:
in file header it looks for /cli/host.php , but this file suppose to be in cacti main folder as it is in patches-087d.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Cacti user