Cacti 0.8.6 - 'cacti' 'cactiuser' MySQL duplcate issues?

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Ofcourse no problem it just tell me the time already added you on msn.

BadKarma
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I'm going to grap a few Diet Rite's be ready by 5:20 EDT (about 9 minutes).

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Beam me up scotty? You call me...
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

TheWitness,

I am using the latest FC2 release of rrdtool - v1.0.49

From my understanding even if the output pipe from rrdtool is not returning correctly then this should not stop the rrdtool from updating the RRD files. This can be seem when rrdtool is piped to a file - i.e. change:

Code: Select all

$rrd_struc["fd"] = proc_open(read_config_option("path_rrdtool") . " -", $rrd_des, $rrd_pipes);
to

Code: Select all

$rrd_struc["fd"] = proc_open(read_config_option("path_rrdtool") . " - > /tmp/rrdtool.log", $rrd_des, $rrd_pipes);
This would mean the output is piped to the log file rather than the expected output that Cacti is expecting. With this I can see the results are similar - some RRD files are updated and others not (by checking file timestamp s- even though the output in the Cacti DEBUG logs are empty for the RRD2CACTI entries. However these entries are seen in the /tmp/rrdtool.log file instead.

Should this not indicate that the problem is not with just expecting the output of the rrdtool command?

I will try those changes you suggest in the morning - or use the new pre-release version.

Regards,

Mon
'They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that?'
Monkey (2:2)
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Mon,

The issue appears to be multifaceted. I am making changes as we speak. Tried to reach you via MSM, no luck. I will attempt to work with BadKarma tonight.

TheWitness

monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

OK - I have updated my Cacti and Cactid system to cacti-0.8.6a-pre20040921.tar.gz and cacti-cactid-0.8.6a-pre20040921.tar.gz respectively.

At the moment the graphs seems to be updating OK! :D

I will continue to monitor the system. Hopefully it will be stable and I can continue to check out the other features of 0.8.6!

TheWitness - what changes were made in the new build to correct this issue?

Regards,

Mon
'They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that?'
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Mon,

Changed the two RRDTool pipes to blocking I/O and implemented what is referred to as a "stream_select" to wait on RRDTool to provide feedback prior to reading the pipe. The reason it was intermittant was because sometime RRD was faster than Cacti and other times Cacti was faster than RRD tool.

In the case where Cacti was faster than RRD, the Output pipe from RRDTool to Cacti would fill up causing the RRDTool process to hang.

All changes were made to the RRD.php file in the lib directory.

TheWitness

danny

Post by danny »

So that's why when I turned the log level on debug the graphs were updated. On this case, the cacti was slower and allowed rrd to finish

I installed cacti on 2 machines with fedora core 1 ( identically ) but one has cpu at 2.80 ghz with HT and the other is at 1Ghz. On the 1Ghz there were no problems with cacti 0.8.6 but on the 2.80Ghz there were very few updates ( one in a few hours )

Nice work.
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

TheWitness,

OK - thanks for the explanation on how it was resolved.

Just for reference - I don't know whether this makes any difference but my Fedora Core 2 systems is a dual CPU system.

Thanks for all your hard work! Cacti is the dogs wotsits!

Keep up the excellent work!

Regards,

Mon
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

For HostMib stuff, please follow the instructions in the attached and your system performance will improve significatly (if you use them).

TheWitness

http://www.cacti.net/downloads/docs/htm ... eries.html

Wernicke
Cacti User

Post by Wernicke »

Thanks. the graph works perfect after I upgraded to the latest 0.8.6a prerelease

Strange though.. I still get the 09/22/2004 10:05:12 AM - CACTID: Poller[0] Host[75] WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result: U...

I will do more troubleshooting l8r..

-Sigurd
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All,

Please read and heed. More information in the next few days.

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=4908

TheWitness

Crescens

Post by Crescens »

Just to notice, the graph bug still exists for me.
Normal hosts get graphed fine, all right there.

But if I poll Switches or Ciscos (especially 3640) it somtines doesn´t paint the graph. I increased the timeout an retry time, but it didn´t help.

I went back to 0.8.5a now, and all my graphs are working fine again.

Just an example, from one of my switches. On friday the 17th I updatet to 0.86. The big white spaces at friday and monday are downtimes, while fixing something or dating up again.

Hope I´m not alone with this problem again. :-?
Attachments
Cacti error
Cacti error
dlink_cacti_graph.JPG (91.5 KiB) Viewed 2916 times