Cacti 0.8.6 Out

Important information about Cacti developments that all users should be interested in.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

raX
Lead Developer

Cacti 0.8.6 Out

Post by raX »

The time has come, Cacti version 0.8.6 has been released! This is one of the biggest releases of Cacti yet and it certainly wouldn't have been possible without the help of Larry (TheWitness) and the user community in general. A lot of really worthwhile and exciting features have made it into this release. Some of the most significant features include a redesigned poller architecture, enhanced logging support, graph zoom/time span features, and host availability detection. I do a better job explaining some of these new features in the release notes.

I really hope to be able to reproduce the high levels of cooperation found throughout the Cacti user community when testing this release in the future. Larry and I wrote up a letter that expresses our gratitude which I think everyone should take a few moments to read:

http://www.cacti.net/thanks_0_8_6.php

Below is the complete (lengthy) changelog:

Code: Select all

bug#0000051: HTTP header caching problems (0.8.5).
bug#0000121: It is no longer possible to add the same graph twice to a single graph tree branch.
bug#0000123: Several UI fixes on the tree item edit page (0.8.5).
bug#0000124: Select all check boxes would actually invert the selection.
bug#0000128: Graph template item corruption issues (0.8.5a).
bug#0000139: Graph tree deletion corruption issue (0.8.5a).
bug#0000140: Replaced the 'None' option in several host drop downs with 'Any' and redefined 'None' to mean host = 0 (0.8.5a).
bug#0000144: Possible corruption issues when deleting tree items from the root of the tree.
bug#0000149: Error using the 'total' type for 95th percentile or bandwidth summation.
bug#0000151: Added the ability to duplicate a host template.
bug#0000160: A change in Mozilla 1.5+ caused extra vertical space to appear on many table rows throughout the console.
bug#0000164: HostMIB scripts do not respect SNMP port and timeout parameters.
bug#0000173: Increase the number of characters dedicated to each tier from 2 to 3 which increases the item per tier/branch limit to 999.
bug#0000174: Broken thumbnail graphs that contained a 95th percentile HRULE item.
bug#0000175: Strip quotes from SNMP output to prevent UI escaping issues.
bug#0000176: Added the '-P' argument to 'df' to prevent multi-line output for the query_unix_partitions.pl script.
bug#0000179: Updated ADODB to version 4.23 which enabled Cacti work with PHP 5.
bug#0000198: Strip greater and less than characters from SNMP output to prevent UI escaping issues.
bug#0000214: Rename 'Utilities' to 'System Utilities' and move it under the 'Utilities' menu heading.
bug#0000235: Limit the number of pages displayed for graph management, data sources, and devices.
bug#0000244: Prevent PHP errors from being displayed during summation/95th percentile calculation when the .rrd file does not exist.
bug#0000253: Fixed recursive CDEFs.
bug#0000254: CDEF dropdown list in adding another CDEF is not sorted.
bug#0000265: Removed "CANNOT FIND GUEST USER" error message.
bug#0000273: Fixed 'rrdtool fetch' parsing for RRDTool 1.0.49.
bug: A hash was not being generated for duplicated graph and data templates which would cause import/export for those templates to fail.
bug: A user's graph permissions may fail to delete properly after removing that user.
bug: The "Export Every x Times" feature did not work correctly.
bug: Work correctly with PHP's get_magic_quotes_gpc() turned off.
bug: Eliminated potential password injection attack in auth_login.php.
bug: Eliminated popen issues in cactid win32 with threads > 1.
feature/bug#0000118: Data source screen UI enhancements (0.8.5).
feature/bug#0000120: Deleting a tree header should delete all child items (0.8.4).
feature/bug#0000125: A forced sort type can be specified for data query indexes which will be used to sort data query results in the UI.
feature/bug#0000152: Added filter/search/pagination capabilities to the Devices page.
feature/bug#0000155: Allow hosts on the graph tree to be grouped by data query index (ie. switch port, partition, etc) instead of only graph template.
feature/bug#0000156: Added the ability to sort a graph tree branch alphabetically or numerically.
feature/bug#0000161: Removing a graph now gives the user the option to remove all associated data sources.
feature/bug#0000172: Added the ability to control which graph viewing areas should display thumbnail graphs and which ones should display full sized graphs.
feature/bug#0000185: Deleting a device gives the user the option of deleting all associated graphs and data sources.
feature/bug#0000187: Add host availability and device enabled/disable controls to the main devices page.
feature/bug#0000189: Add a system-wide defaults for SNMP community, version, port, timeout and retries configurable under 'Cacti Settings'.
feature/bug#0000192: Add the ability to log poller runtime statistics to the log.
feature/bug#0000194: Add host availability capability which allows Cacti to track of downed devices as well as a device's uptime history.
feature/bug#0000200: Implement three different auto re-index methods which allow Cacti to automatically 'refresh' a data query when an indexes changes.
feature/bug#0000213: Add a 'Clear' button to all filter forms which resets the form to its default state.
feature/bug#0000240: Add moonman's SIMILAR_DATA_SOURCES_NODUPS CDEF patch.
feature/bug#0000250: Allow host/graph tree items to change parents.
feature: Data query index types are now automatically selected which eliminates the need to prompt the user for this information at graph creation time.
feature: Better message handling on the "New Graphs" page.
feature: Get rid of the "Data Input Method" box from the data query edit screen as this data can be automatically derived.
feature: Customizable log levels.
feature: Ability to log to syslog (Unix) and event log (Windows) in addition to the log file.
feature: UDP/ICMP/SNMP ping support used to determine a host's availability status.
feature: A PHP script server which enables PHP script to be interpreted by the poller without spawning a separate PHP process for each item. See the manual for more details.
feature: Ability to choose the type of poller (cmd.php, cactid) and number of threads (cactid only) from the UI.
feature: Ability to spawn multiple simultaneous cmd.php/cactid processes to speed up the polling process.
feature: Allow data templates and data sources that use SNMP to override host fields (hostname, snmp port, etc) in the poller cache.
feature: Added Eric Steffen's Bonsai patch which enables users to zoom a graph by dragging a box around the area of interest.
feature: Added branix's graph export enhancements patch which adds many more graph export configuration options including remote FTP support.
feature: Ability to view/clear the log file from the console.
feature: Use a single RRDTool stdin pipe for all update, create, and graph export actions.
feature: Advanced timespan selector which provides a large number of presets and a calendar control for custom timespans.
feature: Better support for SNMP v2 from UI. Speed up some UI queries.
feature: Enable/Disable Poller from UI.
feature: Added ifOperStatus to Graph Creation page to show either Up or Down.
feature: Rearchitected poller subsystem to prepare for multiple poller architecture in future releases.
feature: Added validation logic in the pollers to prevent system and log anomalies.
feature: Removed SNMP v3 options until SNMP v3 is supported.
-Ian
Pumpi
Cacti User

Super !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pumpi »

Congratulation Cacti-Team !!!

- for this great product
- for the new web design
- for sharing this without any costs :wink:

Cheers

Pumpi
addlema
Cacti User

Post by addlema »

Thanks a million guys... This product is the best!
..::BFS::..
Cacti User

Post by ..::BFS::.. »

I have to agree with the people who posted before me, thanks for this great tool and all the support around it.
panden

Post by panden »

I've just upgraded. Looks very nice! :)

And by the way, awesome new website!

Great work!
falcon10

a fine software

Post by falcon10 »

we're using cacti for quite some time now, and we can't be more happy with it.
only one thing, all the additional scripts links are broken :/

for example:
http://www.cacti.net/downloads/cacti/sc ... its.pl.txt

keep up the (very) good work! :)
(and thank you, again)
DevilSun
Cacti User

Post by DevilSun »

Wonderful job guys!! I finally got cactid running on my windows box, but the threaded poller seems to run faster, and it sure pegs the CPU while it's working so it works real well. Halved my query time...thanks!

Zoom feature is awesome...I believe I have a windows based PHP session problem that is creating a minor irritation, but that'll get resolved soon I hope.

thanks again, and wonderful job!
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Yes, a good release isn't it!!
Last edited by TheWitness on Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
bulek
Cacti Pro User

Post by bulek »

Ian and Larry - good job!!! Thank you for all the efforts you made to get cacti to this excellent shape. I am even more excited to wait for next releases :-) having remote pollers. Maybe I'll drop finaly 0.6.x line :oops: in favor of the new one.

- Piotr
raX
Lead Developer

Re: a fine software

Post by raX »

falcon10 wrote:only one thing, all the additional scripts links are broken :/

for example:
http://www.cacti.net/downloads/cacti/sc ... its.pl.txt
I corrected the links on this page.

-Ian
Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

Great work guys, your efforts are appreciated!
skaminski
Cacti User

Congrats!!!!

Post by skaminski »

Awesome release....It was great working on the Beta of this wonderful product. Hopefully soon, I'll be ramping up my rollout and will be able to post some good benchmarks with cactid.

Love the zoom on the graphs and the performance benefits with the script server that Larry (TheWitness) helped me with.

Good work guys!!!!

Sean
Morgan
Cacti User

Post by Morgan »

Throughout the entire beta testing process, i was constantly amazed at the overall coopoeration and incredible hard work put in by Ian and Larry.

A huge thanks to both who even added a last minute change to the graph tree sorting structure.

I'm still running a pretty tweaked beta release. Larry managed to fix all the cactid problems with that poller.c, but i gotta say after breaking it so many times i'm not sure i wana try upgrading some more !!! :lol: :lol:

Again, thanks to Larry and Ian for yet another incredible cacti release.

Morgan
Didier

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR JOB - CONGRATULATIONS

Post by Didier »

A very big CONGRATULATIONS Larry and Ian for Cacti 0.8.6

I haven't connected to the web site for 3 or 4 days, it is a very good news this release is out. I'm very impressed by the job you do everyday and what you have done. Do, you never sleep :-))))) ???

The look of the web site is also very nice.

I'm again sorry to haven't provide you enough testing until the end cacti be out.

Just a word : THANKS, THANKS, for all your job

Didier
infuseweb

Post by infuseweb »

Perfectly smooth upgrade on my Windows 2003 installation, and WOW was I pleased!! Absolutely awesome!! Keep up the great work!!

EDIT: Sigh, I lied. Can't collect data anymore, but the graphing features are quite nice :-?