Patch: "Structured RRD Path"

Addons for Cacti and discussion about those addons

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Are you running in windows? Can you do a gotomeeting?
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
gundalba

Post by gundalba »

Thanks for the offer but my Cacti is on CentOS5...
Not sure if gotomeeting works either as I'm kinda new here and haven't tried it yet.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

If the files were moved, you should be able to copy the php file and modify the new file to "update_database();exit;"

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Don't forget to disable cron and verify the poller is not running.

TheWitness

gundalba

Post by gundalba »

TheWitness wrote:If the files were moved, you should be able to copy the php file and modify the new file to "update_database();exit;"

TheWitness
Got the poller / cron part but not too sure on copying php file and modifying it.
Could you please elaborate further?

Thanks,
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

In the cli folder, there is a utility that converts your system to use structured paths. If you have run that program, as you said, and it did not work, you have to copy it to a new name and strip it down so that it just updates the database.

TheWitness

frdrk
Cacti User

Post by frdrk »

I copied my production cacti to a similar machine for a dry-run update to 0.8.7e and tried the structured path thingy, and it kinda worked. Some rrd's where left untouched by the script.. rrd's not moved and DS path in web gui still points to the old file, which does exist.. but the graphs for those dont update.

When I run the structure_rra_paths.php again I get this:

Code: Select all

NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1981/64651.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1981/64652.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1981/64653.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1981/64654.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1981/64655.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64656.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64657.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64658.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64659.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64660.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64661.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64662.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: File '/var/www/cacti/rra/1944/64663.rrd' is Already Structured, Ignoring
NOTE: Process Complete, '0' Completed, '0' Skipped, '36095' Previously Structured
Allthough there are still rrd's left unmoved

Code: Select all

cactilab:/var/www/cacti/rra# ls -alF | grep .rrd | wc -l
Any ideas?

edit: after a closer look, it seem as it have left all my broadcast and multicast rrds untouched.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

So, some moved and some did not. It may be that the ones left behind were either damaged (aka don't update), or some other reason. Do they still exist as required in the Poller Cache? What is the entry for them there? How do they appear when you look under Data Sources? What about Graph Management? Have you used "RRDClean" before?

TheWitness

frdrk
Cacti User

Post by frdrk »

TheWitness wrote:So, some moved and some did not. It may be that the ones left behind were either damaged (aka don't update), or some other reason. Do they still exist as required in the Poller Cache? What is the entry for them there?
No, they do not exist in the Poller Cache. On my main machine (the one i mirrored) there are about 6000 entries about multicast and broadcast in the poller cache, none on the mirrored machine after structured path patch. Tried rebuilding it, nothing.
TheWitness wrote:How do they appear when you look under Data Sources? What about Graph Management? Have you used "RRDClean" before?
TheWitness
Nothing looks strange under graph management or data sources, accept that the Data Souce Path points at the old "<path_rra>/xxxxxxxx_broadcast_out_57170.rrd", which do still exist and wasnt touched by the structured path patch.

I have used rrdclean before, if I do a rescan now no graphs are beeing chosen for removal accept the ones I have actually deleted myself.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You might be missing the XML file in the resource directory. Goto one of the hosts and perform a "Verbose Query" and see what comes up.

TheWitness

frdrk
Cacti User

Post by frdrk »

TheWitness wrote:You might be missing the XML file in the resource directory. Goto one of the hosts and perform a "Verbose Query" and see what comes up.

TheWitness
AH! Ofcourse... the broadcast and multicast templates isnt in cacti default, I totally forgot about that. Imported them, and now it looks much better.
NOTE: Process Complete, '2945' Completed, '0' Skipped, '36092' Previously Structured