Using sysName within Graph Titles

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

sluke

Using sysName within Graph Titles

Post by sluke »

Is there a way to use sysName (.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5) within graph titles as say |query_sysName|

I added that OID to the xml template and it appears just fine in the poll/debug.

Method: Walk
Source: Value
Direction: Input

When I try and add a new graph - Data Query shows sysName on it's own line instead of showing it for every interface entry ... help!

I don't want to go through and change 100s of device names to use host_description. if I can use sysName then the customer has to change the desc on the units and we simply use query_sysName
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

|query_SysName| is not supported. It does not work this way, as SysName is NOT part of any SNMP table.
And, in fact, not each device must have a SysName (e.g. devices without SNMP Support). It would be your responsibility to plase e.g. SysName into host_description.
I did not fully understand your last sentence; please re-phrase
Reinhard
rcaston
Cacti User

Post by rcaston »

necro'n thread:

I just got done adding in sysName to a interfaces.xml when I noticed after I did everything as I should; I still could not perform a |query_sysName|

|host_description| will not work for what I want; which is to put the hostname dynamically in the legend for a template for each datasource.

|host_description| does not translate inside of a text table in a graph. However, a |query_ifAlias|, |query_ifName| does translate inside of the text table for a graph item.

I had thought using |query_sysName| would resolve this (after making the necessary changes to the interfaces.xml); but it doesn't work.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Yah, that is not going to work, because it's not part of the snmp table, it's out of the range.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
rcaston
Cacti User

Post by rcaston »

rony wrote:Yah, that is not going to work, because it's not part of the snmp table, it's out of the range.
shame, I had thought since I could get the xml to query that value, that it would be something I could reference inside cacti :(

any idea why |host_description| doesn't translate inside of a text field for a graph item?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I believe that if we have an snmp supported device, we should save this information and then offer it up for graphs. The only question is do we do this in the base, or make it part of a plugin.

Rodney, I have a nice plugin that has been offered up to the open source community but I have not done this for various reasons. It could easily fulfill this need for you, and we can hook the text replacement function to add this functionality.

You attempted to reach me over the weekend. Let's talk. Ping me back.

Larry
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?