64-bit graphs and 95 percentile?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

fgk

64-bit graphs and 95 percentile?

Post by fgk »

Hello everyone,

I wonder how to create 95 percentile and total bandwith graphs with 64-bit counters?

cacti seems to only provide templates for 32-bit counters?

I'm using 0.8.6h-2 (debian).
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

You're correct. But nothing will stop you copying the contents of the COMMENT graph item of the 32bit Graph Template to the 64bit one (and all other stuff you're interested in) :wink:
Reinhard
fgk

Post by fgk »

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

But where do I alter those templates?

My graph templates do not say anything about 32 or 64 bit (it just says: Interface - Traffic (bits/sec) and Interface - Traffic (bits/sec, 95th Percentile) ...), nevertheless, I can differentiate when creating a new grapg between 32-bit and 64-bit, so that must be defined somewhere?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Ok, I was not 100% correct. For the Traffic, the Graph Templates don't differ between 32 and 64 bit. The selection is done at the Data Query level. There, you'll find those Associated Graph Templates. You may make a screenshot of the 95th Percentile one and insert a new one, named 95th Percentile (64bit). Perform ALL selections as seen in the screenshot, except for the Associated Data Templates. Please select the 64 bit Data Sources for your New Associated Graph Template.
This will result in using the exact same Graph Template for both 32 and 64 bit counters with the correct data sources, respectively.
You will see this technique when comparin the entries for In/Out Bits and In/Out Bits (64-bit Counters).
Reinhard
RCK
Cacti User

Post by RCK »

Thanks for the tips Gandalf :)
Cacti: 0.8.7g | Spine: 0.8.7g
Plugins: RRDclean - Weathermap - Thold - Realtime
My Template: ApacheStats 0.8.2 (multiple RRD, Low disk usage, Script Server)
marlow

Post by marlow »

I did pretty much this.

I created a new graph, 64-bit counters, and it gives me the correct graph, but the 95 percentile is off the scale. It's multiplied by approx 1.5.

Anybody seen this behavior ?

/M
Communication is the beginning of understanding
-- AT&T
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Yes, it's quite common, because the HRULE consists of both IN and OUT traffic. Unfortunately, autoscaling does not take that HRULE into account ...
Reinhard
marlow

Post by marlow »

Is there any way around that ? Because in the 32-bit (I'm running them in parallel right now and the interface is not producing over 100 mbit/s yet) graph, the 95 percentile is correct.

/M
-- AT&T
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

This is an rrdtool "feature". You may decide to create two 95th Percentile, one for IN and one for OUT. That's my best bet.
Reinhard
marlow

Post by marlow »

That's matter of fact not that bad an idea at all. I'll give that a go.

/M
-- AT&T
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

marlow wrote:That's matter of fact not that bad an idea at all. I'll give that a go.

/M
You may be surprised that someone recently tackled exactly the same "issue". Please search/google to find his solution
Reinhard
marlow

Post by marlow »

Matter of fact, I did, before posting here. And I found various attempts at 95 percentile graphs in Cacti using 64-bit counters.

However, I did not specificly search for issues with the correct display of 95 percentile afterwards, as I wasn't sure, where this problem occours.

/M
-- AT&T