Monitoring performance of an HP EVA SAN

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

hapklaar

Monitoring performance of an HP EVA SAN

Post by hapklaar »

Has anyone been able to graph the performance of an HP EVA SAN, for example disk i/o per disk group, read-write performance, etc?

I believe this could be possible by using evaperf in a script, but I haven't yet been able to get this to work.
hapklaar

Post by hapklaar »

Let me be a little bit more specific. Evaperf can output realtime performance stats of an EVA to a file. I have included some examples. I could run evaperf every 5 minutes and let cacti read from the output it generates. I'm however at a loss how to get this done.

It would be great if someone could help me get a few of the values like latencies and transfer rates in a graph.
Attachments
evaperf-output-examples.txt
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 6312 times
koaps

Post by koaps »

I'm currently working on some trending analysis for our IBM SAN's.

I have a perl script that uses dd to transfer 2GB of random data to our SAN and record the MB/s. It verifies the file after the copy with MD5 to look for corruption.

If you wanted to play with it, I can provide the script I'm using, it wouldn't be hard to change it to parse the EVA file instead of running dd.

It creates, updates, and graphs on it's own using the perl module RRDs, but I also have Cacti pointed at the rrd files it makes so I can zoom in on failure areas that behavior detection marks on the script generated graphs.

Only thing is, Cacti doesn't support holt-winters stuff in rrdtool, and while getting the confidence bounds graphed with Cacti is trival, there's no tick support making it so Cacti can't display failures on the graphs.

From that data you provided, it wouldn't be hard to parse it with a script you run every 5 minutes and grab whatever values you want to store into a rrd file. I personally like to use external scripts for collecting data and use Cacti to just display graphs, keeping the poller disabled.

It wouldn't be realtime in any way, you would have 5 minute intervals for updates, and if using trending, 45 minute windows to look for 35 minutes of out of bounds(considered a failure). Of course this can be tuned, but changing the windows for failure detect to something to small will cause a lot more failures to show up and depending on how you plan to react to failures, it might be an issue. I'm working on making detected failures trigger pages in our nagios system, so a lot of failures would be a problem.

My goal was to be able to detect major performance events, for instance a drive failure causing a hot spare to become active and the RAID to rebuild, this should be detectable via trending analysis but still need to test things in our lab to see if it's truly detectable.

There is some info out there on how to roll your own external php scripts for Cacti use, so if you wanted to go that route I might be able to find that stuff, but I know Perl much better and tend to stick with it as much as I can.
jbabcock

Perl Script

Post by jbabcock »

Just wondering if you could provide your script to me as I am looking to collect the same kind of data.

Let me know

Thanks
flukester

Post by flukester »

Hello!

I am in the same situation as the Original Poster for monitoring HP EVA SANs. In my case, I was easily able to monitor the Brocade switches but not the EVA itself.

However, it seems that there is a windows service running on our SAN management station that exposes a lot of information through windows Performance Counters.

Using the snmptools2 developed by Erwan.l, I am currently attempting to match this and graph these metrics from Cacti on Linux. It looks like it is going to work.

Antoine
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle
Or as finished as it seems in the end.
gatorfreak

Post by gatorfreak »

Any luck on that?

I've used the Erwan iptools to get the OID of the EVA performance counters but they all just return values of zero, even directly with Erwan's iptools app fetching the values.

All we need are the OIDs to get the graphs going.
boatrke1

Post by boatrke1 »

Do you have a EVA3K/5K or 4/6/8?
gatorfreak

Post by gatorfreak »

EVA5K here. I did end up getting Erwan's snmptool working so that I can get values via snmpget. For some odd reason I can only get one of the values into cacti so far.
I wrote a post on another thread along these lines here:
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=25600&start=195
Toward the bottom of that page...but the whole thread is pretty relevant to this topic since it appears to be the way to get this done.
Last edited by gatorfreak on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
boatrke1

Post by boatrke1 »

I was using VB Scripts on windows querying the EVA Perf statistics on the SMA. You need EVAPerf installed in order to do this.

I'm currenly rebuilding to use the wmi client on linux. Hopefully I should be done by the end of the week.
boatrke1

Post by boatrke1 »

Here's what I have so far. It's built to monitor two EVAs though the SMA. I'm using the WMI from http://www.parkingdenied.com

The host port graph description will most likely need to be modified to match the host port names.
Attachments
cacti_host_template_hp_sma_for_eva01.xml
EVA01
(176.81 KiB) Downloaded 4593 times
cacti_host_template_hp_sma_for_eva02.xml
EVA02
(177.02 KiB) Downloaded 5173 times
Graphs
Graphs
all.PNG (156.18 KiB) Viewed 52244 times
Last edited by boatrke1 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
catchtime

Post by catchtime »

Hi, boatrke1

Wonderful.
That is what i am looking for.
Could you please tell me how to use it?

Thanks
boatrke1

Post by boatrke1 »

Download and install the CactiWMI 0.0.5 from http://www.parkingdenied.com/. Sorry, the URL was incorrect in the previous post.

Once you have the WMI configured, import the host templates and point the device to your SMA.

Kevin
palli

Any updates

Post by palli »

HI Kevin,

Are you still working on these templates ?

kind regards,
Pall Sigurdsson
boatrke1

Post by boatrke1 »

That's all I've done with them. Is there something you were looking for?

Kevin
palli

Post by palli »

I am currently working on a generic data query that can create a graph for every virtualdisk in the eva.

Working on Latency, iops and throughput :)

Just checking if you were working on similar stuff.