Cannot get Spine 0.8.7d to read PHP scripts in Cacti 0.8.7d

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

spike100

Cannot get Spine 0.8.7d to read PHP scripts in Cacti 0.8.7d

Post by spike100 »

Hiya,

I'm stuck with this one! I'm currently polling a number of fibre channel switches and a windows cluster with cacti. The counters on the switches are polled with a PHP script (a slightly modified bersion of this one http://forums.cacti.net/about15797.html ), the windows servers SNMP counters are polled directly.

I was using php.cmd as the poller and all was (and is) OK. I switched to the latest version of spine (0.8.7d) this week (previous versions just crashed) to speed things up. This version of spine seems to work without crashing but only gets data back from the SNMP counters on the windows cluster, I get "Empty result" and "output: U" type errors

Code: Select all

Host[13] ERROR: Empty result [10.11.76.202]: 'D:\php\php.exe -q D:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti\scripts\query_fa_mib_san_portinfo.php 10.11.76.202 PASSWORD 1 get txelement 1

Code: Select all

Host[13] DS[661] SCRIPT: D:\php\php.exe -q D:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti\scripts\query_fa_mib_san_portinfo.php 10.11.76.202 PASSWORD 1 get txelement 1, output: U
for all of the switches.

I've tried/found a number of things...

1) The full path to php.exe and the script *is* included in the .xml file
2) Spine does seem to work as it gets the counters from the windows cluster
3) I renamed the .PHP file and the error didn't change, so I assumed spine cannot find the PHP file.
4) I ran filemon on the windows box that runs cacti, it confirmed that spine makes no attempt to run php.exe and hence doesn't open my PHP script!!
5) Evertyhing works again when I revert back to cmd.php.
6) I've tried rebuilding the cache.

I'm at a loss as to why spine fails to execute my script. The various debug options I've tried (cacti.log, spine -V=5 etc) haven't shown me anything that cries out as a glaring error as to why this is failing.

Does anyone have any pointers/ideas?

Cheers

Spike
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Have you made sure the cmd.exe and spine.exe have the correct NTFS permissions for the IUSR_ and IIS_WPG accounts? Also make sure the permissions on that script are correct.

Otherwise, since everything else appears to work with Spine, I'd say it's possibly a bug...
spike100

Post by spike100 »

BSOD2600 wrote:Have you made sure the cmd.exe and spine.exe have the correct NTFS permissions for the IUSR_ and IIS_WPG accounts? Also make sure the permissions on that script are correct.
Thank you for your reply...

I've run your Cacti Security script so I believe permissions should be correct in all the right places. (I do actually use Apache rather than IIS)
Otherwise, since everything else appears to work with Spine, I'd say it's possibly a bug...
Yeah, it does seem a bit odd. I'll try posting in the Spine 0.8.7d release message and post as a bug if I get no joy either from either Windows users or the Spine gurus.

Cheers

Spike