[INFO] Weathermap 0.96a released

Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Howie
Cacti Guru User

[INFO] Weathermap 0.96a released

Post by Howie »

Since I haven't had any new bug reports this week, this is Weathermap 0.96a, which fixes all reported bugs. Actually, I haven't had confirmation for a couple, but my testing shows that the problem is fixed. The changelog is here, as usual.

Download is here: http://www.network-weathermap.com/
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
Emilien

Post by Emilien »

[edit]wrong post[/edit]
Last edited by Emilien on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Emilien wrote:[edit]error[/edit]
That is the shortest and least useful bug report I've ever seen.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Emilien

Post by Emilien »

Sorry, I have write and after I have checked a config that has a wrong character in the string :oops:

Thank you for your work! :D

Emilien :roll:
Exo7
Cacti User

Post by Exo7 »

Memory consumption of the editor seems to have grown a little bit since 0.95b. I hit the famous "Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 138 bytes)" error in Apache when editing the most complex map I have (about 30 nodes and 35 links). I thought I already increased the memory_limit in php5/php.ini, but I found my server was still using php4, with the 8Mb default limit.
The rendering of the map was still working as expected.

keep up the good work, I like the new features :P
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

Exo7 wrote:Memory consumption of the editor seems to have grown a little bit since 0.95b. I hit the famous "Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 138 bytes)" error in Apache when editing the most complex map I have (about 30 nodes and 35 links). I thought I already increased the memory_limit in php5/php.ini, but I found my server was still using php4, with the 8Mb default limit.
The rendering of the map was still working as expected.

keep up the good work, I like the new features :P
I'm impressed that it's been working for you with 8M... I can't think of anything that's been added that would significantly increase the memory use, but I've always found I need to go to at least around 32M, especially with maps that have large background image.

I'm sure the Cacti manual used to say that Cacti required 128M, but I can't find that anymore.
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

Btw, with the new feature of creating daily/monthly(/yearly) maps now (yeah, i JUST noticed them), wouldnt it be great if a user could create submenus or sub-tabs to weathermap that would be freely nameable, in this case named "24h AVG", "30d AVG" etc where the user could sort his maps. Or as id like (as im about to create a bunch, 25maps) seperate for example core maps from dist maps and access switches per floor and not have a bunch of maps to look through and read titles (sure, each dont look exactly the same but still :))

Edit: maybe make this thread the announcement instead of 0.95? ;)
Edit again: cleared some up.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

toe_cutter wrote:Btw, with the new feature of creating daily/monthly(/yearly) maps now (yeah, i JUST noticed them), wouldnt it be great if a user could create submenus or sub-tabs to weathermap that would be freely nameable, in this case named "24h AVG", "30d AVG" etc where the user could sort his maps. Or as id like (as im about to create a bunch, 25maps) seperate for example core maps from dist maps and access switches per floor and not have a bunch of maps to look through and read titles (sure, each dont look exactly the same but still :))
OK - I just got another similar request, and I know that Tybio will weigh in too, in a little while...

How should that work? It could be like the Graph Tree editor. It should be something in the UI rather than the map configs, because there are plenty of non-Cacti users who don't care about how Cacti displays things :-)

So you can then have a tree like:

Code: Select all

+core
--core map 1
--core map 2
+datacentre1
--dc1 customer 1
--dc1 customer 2
+transit
--transit overview
and that would produce 3 tabs called core, datacentre1 and transit.

I'm open to alternative suggestions.
Edit: maybe make this thread the announcement instead of 0.95? ;)
Edit again: cleared some up.
Yeah, I agree, but I am not a mod.
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

Howie wrote:OK - I just got another similar request, and I know that Tybio will weigh in too, in a little while...

How should that work? It could be like the Graph Tree editor. It should be something in the UI rather than the map configs, because there are plenty of non-Cacti users who don't care about how Cacti displays things :-)

So you can then have a tree like:

Code: Select all

+core
--core map 1
--core map 2
+datacentre1
--dc1 customer 1
--dc1 customer 2
+transit
--transit overview
and that would produce 3 tabs called core, datacentre1 and transit.

I'm open to alternative suggestions.
My idea was having a textual menu (with dropdowns maybe) right underneath the tabs at the top. But a treeview seems better/faster and more logical. Id go for it. Configuring it would be done in the UI ofc :)
Yeah, I agree, but I am not a mod.
Oh, i thought you were for your own forum :/
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

OK - I've done a bit of work on this now.

In SVN, there is a new UI with a dropdown to switch between the maps you have access to (doesn't show by default, or if you only have one map). Enable it in the Settings. This bit works fine. Useful for customers, mainly.

There's also a new table, and some stuff that (so far) produces a row of tabs, like the Settings tabs, across the top of the map viewing page. They don't work yet. I'd like to be able to push all my customer maps into a tab, out of the way, too. Again, if a user only has maps in one group, then they don't see the tabs. With some careful naming, you can give your customer/user's a nice presentation without dozens of groups.

It will be a single 'layer' of groups - no subgroups, for now.
Attachments
2009-05-26_131805.jpg
2009-05-26_131805.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

And the dropdown...
Attachments
2009-05-26_132115.jpg
2009-05-26_132115.jpg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

Howie wrote:OK - I've done a bit of work on this now.

In SVN, there is a new UI with a dropdown to switch between the maps you have access to (doesn't show by default, or if you only have one map). Enable it in the Settings. This bit works fine. Useful for customers, mainly.

There's also a new table, and some stuff that (so far) produces a row of tabs, like the Settings tabs, across the top of the map viewing page. They don't work yet. I'd like to be able to push all my customer maps into a tab, out of the way, too. Again, if a user only has maps in one group, then they don't see the tabs. With some careful naming, you can give your customer/user's a nice presentation without dozens of groups.

It will be a single 'layer' of groups - no subgroups, for now.
Better than i had imagined! :o
Is there a max on how many tabs one could have? Cosmetics, but could break the page :)
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

toe_cutter wrote:Better than i had imagined! :o
Is there a max on how many tabs one could have? Cosmetics, but could break the page :)

There's isn't even a UI to add groups yet :-) I don't think you'd ever really need dozens of tabs if you name them well. "24H","30D" etc can each contain one map for each customer, and they will only see their own. If you decide to divide by site, I guess it could get messier.

It's just a table, so it would wrap around if you had too many.
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

Howie wrote:There's isn't even a UI to add groups yet :-) I don't think you'd ever really need dozens of tabs if you name them well. "24H","30D" etc can each contain one map for each customer, and they will only see their own. If you decide to divide by site, I guess it could get messier.

It's just a table, so it would wrap around if you had too many.
Yeah, i was thinking of creating maps by site and a couple 24h/30D tabs :) But if it wraps thats not bad at all.
Though im doing my last week of consulting so im trying to end what ive started and i havent gotten around to making maps of the different sites. Not that i was hired to fiddle with Cacti...
runlikeanantelope
Cacti User

Post by runlikeanantelope »

Do you plan to add the TAB functionality outside of Cacti for the standalone installs?

Nice feature.