Who Want's A MacTrack 2.0?

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

disH

Post by disH »

TheWitness wrote:
disH wrote:- Support for Juniper FW (i have the script collecting the data from a SSG550 but its not storing being stored correctly + matching the ip to mac addresses)
- Better support for CatOS as its still commonly used
- Vlan Change script :) Find ip/mac -> select port and change vlan -> excute based on user access.
- Search single address mac's (find relevant mac, regardless of using :,- dividers eg: 00123f554ab3)
- Allow longer search result lists than 40 at a time
- Change the device drop down menu to not show double names (eg: mydevicename(address) )
- Strip Mac Authorization ??? It serves no purpose unless you bind it with some script that can control port-security.
- Create a database where users can submit their SNMP OIDs & sysDescr info and can be updated just like the vendormacs via http download, so devices will be identified correctly by itself.
- Make it easier to insert custom scanner scripts, so some of us can code our own working scripts - to bad i cant code :(
- Optimise scripts, I dont mind the load on my server, as long as we can reduce load off the network devices and links.

I wish i could code and help on this very useful mactracker :o simply awesome :wink: What do you think of my suggestions?
Are you kidding, excellent. I'm going to put you to work as an official beta tester. You might want to take a gander at the SVN. So long as you have not hacked the current version, it should be an overlay. I would like your comments on the changes thus far. Maktrack was initially intended to be a passive device, as when I wrote it, I had no access (other than snmp) to the devices. However, I do like the idea of making changes on the fly to switches in targeted cases. This would take a bit of engineering though. We would need to collaborate closely.

TheWitness
sure, i can do that and ill grab that SVN quickly. If i do remember i already updated some of my 'live' files to SVN few months back to get certain things working..
For the scripting part, you could keep it simple and allow certain values to be exported to a tmp file. So you just write a little bash script to read the variables and excute some script.. or let it read from a sql table etc.. This way people can write their own batch,bash,perl scripts. Obviously this opens doors to other problems but that would come down to securing your network/machines. :P
[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=4356]Template: Cisco CatOS[/url]
[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=21785]Mactrack: Netscreen Fw[/url]
[b]_______________[/b]
[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7e, [b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.5, [b]Poller Type[/b] - Cact-Spine 0.8.7e
[b]Server Info[/b] - Ubuntu Server 8.10 (2.6.27-7-server), [b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.2.9 PHP/5.2.6-2ubuntu4.3 with Suhosin-Patch
[b]PHP[/b] - 5.2.6-2ubuntu4.3, [b]MySQL[/b] - 5.0.67-0ubuntu6-log, [b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.3.1, [b]SNMP[/b] - 5.4.1
[b]Plugins[/b] - Thresholds v0.4.1, Login Mod v1.0, Host Info v0.2
toe_cutter
Cacti User

Post by toe_cutter »

RHartog wrote:If you could add port speed, link status, duplex setting and also specify ports without devices then we would have a perfect insight into the switch availability.

Great job already !
TheWitness wrote:They are already there, but not exposed.

TheWitness
I kinda need this (link status/port speed/duplex) here at work so i was going through the mysql tables and the code to see if i could "expose" them myself, and if successfull, share it.
What i found is that youre not collecting the duplex settings, its not in your general get interface mib (RFC1213-MIB) but it is contained in the ciscoMgmt OID (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9) and probably in many other manufacturers MIBs (hint to add it to the mactrack_hp/cisco/... :p).

Just thought id let you know, ill keep poking around to see if i can get it going myself :)

I think its been mentioned before but a feature for 2.0 would be to have a thinner view of the ports in the basic view (linkstatus, speed/duplex, vlan, idle time), but a link to each port with more information like MACs, IPs, uptime/last change etc.
Yes-I-Am

SNMPV3

Post by Yes-I-Am »

For the next version of Mactrack will there be snmpv3 support?

I only have snmpv3 devices.

thanks!
TheWitness
Developer

Re: SNMPV3

Post by TheWitness »

Yes-I-Am wrote:For the next version of Mactrack will there be snmpv3 support?

thanks!
Why not. Are you going to test it? I mean officially. That means I get to tell you what needs to be done and you can't say no.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Yes-I-Am

Post by Yes-I-Am »

TheWitness wrote:

thanks!
Why not. Are you going to test it? I mean officially. That means I get to tell you what needs to be done and you can't say no.

TheWitness
Unfortunaly I have no testing environment for the mactrack snmpv3 to test. Furthermore I have some trouble getting the arp entries from my router.
Is there a manual for defining devices in mactrack?

A usefull function could also be importing devices from the real cacti into mactrack.

Thanks, for the good work the past years. I am a big fan of cacti for 5 years now!!
cooldude919

Post by cooldude919 »

ive been trying to look a bit, but havent seen how so far. Is it possible in the current version to authorize or allow a set of mac addresses (a "snapshot") then have an alert emailed when new mac addresses show up? I do see in the current version you can setup an alert for a specific mac, but we would want it for any and all mac addresses besides the "authorized" ones. We could use sometihng like this for security reasons to look for rogue devices. If not then this should be in v2.0 :D
jerrison
Cacti User

Post by jerrison »

hi there,

i´d really like to see mactrack 2.0! We are currently using netdisco which does a fine job but i prefer a cacti integrated solution.
i´d like to have all features that netdisco.org provides except the "network-map". That means netbios end-device detection (or at least the option to have netbios included somewhere) uplink and vlan detection for enterasys (former cabletron) devices as well. Cisco VLAN-detection always works but Enterasys is a little harder to come by in my experience.
here´s a list:
-vendor independency (using standards wherever possible)
-customisation for different vendors (it´s already there, i know)
-VLAN detection (which port has which VLAN)
-overview reports of firmware, location, ports active, ports last changed, etc.
-"nodes" (netdisco lingo) overview (netbios data, ip and mac)
-uplink detection
-manual exclusion of ports (i.e. where we need to have nasty hubs, we don´t want no info on it)
-port disable via web frontend
-mac-blacklist/whitelist with the option to run custom scripts in case a blacklisted mac appears
-timestamp for mac/IPs on specific ports (see netdisco)
-integration with threshold (i.e. IP changed 4 times a day = alert!)
-integration with user rights

that´s all for now, if i can think of anything else, i´ll let you know.

thanks a lot for all your work and i´d be happy to beta-test!

andré
Shmegles
Cacti User

Post by Shmegles »

For feature requests, I'd like to have a totals row on the "Sites" screen...I can obviously see the number of devices, Total IP's, etc at each site but would like to easily see the totals for the entire installation.

And if you're really crazy and have some integration into cacti's device database, I'd like to look at an end device in mactrack and be able to click on the switch port for that device (from within mactrack) and go to the cacti utilization graph for that port (I realize this is a lot of code).

I'm happy to be a beta tester, too. We have 95 devices, ~8,000 IPs, and ~11,000 ports on all Cisco gear with native IOS. Let me know what you need for testing.

Cacti install is on a Linux (CentOS 5) virtual machine.

Oh, one more thing...I see that the plan is for v2 to be fresh with no upgrade path from v1. That's fine with me but before I spend much more time with my v1 install, do you have a rough time for when v2 will be ready for production? (I'll stop doing much with v1 if v2 will be out relatively soon)
georgek

Post by georgek »

Yes-I-Am wrote:
TheWitness wrote:

thanks!

TheWitness
Unfortunaly I have no testing environment for the mactrack snmpv3 to test. Furthermore I have some trouble getting the arp entries from my router.
Is there a manual for defining devices in mactrack?

A usefull function could also be importing devices from the real cacti into mactrack.

Thanks, for the good work the past years. I am a big fan of cacti for 5 years now!!
We also use snmpv3. It is ready to assist in testing.
gthe
Cacti User

Post by gthe »

May be adding ability to use Spine for information gathering?
My cacti plugin -[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=156769#156769]CaMM[/url]
[size=75]Sorry for my English. [/size]
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

There will be an upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0. Already done.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
gthe
Cacti User

Post by gthe »

TheWitness wrote:There will be an upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0. Already done.

TheWitness
I am check revision 484 and have not found anything about Spine.
Still uses cacti_snmp_walk().

I informed on an error in database_upgrade.php:

Code: Select all

execute_sql("Add length to Device Types Match Fields", "ALTER TABLE `mac_track_device_types` MODIFY COLUMN `sysDescr_match` VARCHAR(`100) ...... 
correct

execute_sql("Add length to Device Types Match Fields", "ALTER TABLE `mac_track_device_types` MODIFY COLUMN `sysDescr_match` VARCHAR(100) ..... 
i.e.

`
before 100

Sorry if this will be offtop.
My cacti plugin -[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=156769#156769]CaMM[/url]
[size=75]Sorry for my English. [/size]
low

Post by low »

Keep up the good work! Mactrack is by far the most usful tool I have used in a while.

As a suggestion, How about incorporating a very minimal, basic, yet intuitive graphic overview interface... Sure the current set up has everything that we need with the ability to search and all but what if we have small green squares that would mirror each port of the switch. You could have the switch name on top and have it as if you were looking at the front of a switch. You could make so if you clicked on the particular port you could go in and see all the statistics and also have a field for notes set up if you want to define each device that is supposed to be connected to each port. You could even make it dynamic so if a new device is hookedup elsewhere you have notes on that machine and to who is using it!! This way, we could have a visual representation of what ports are up and down (green and red) and you also could have different colors for itermitin connectivity, packet loss, or even a color if an authorized MAC switches ports!

Like I said, MACTRACK is already amazing but I feel like organizing this information in a simplistic yet intuitive way would do wonders for the plugin!

Hope you can use any of this and again thanks for all the hard work!!!!
-e-

Mapping Customer Position

Post by -e- »

MacTrack is a powerful tool, i have requests/dreams:

Features name: "Mapping Customer Position":
(include)

- adding a blank camp on every single port to insert a comment for mapping the customers LAN position (floor/box/and so on).

- alerting via mail for change mac-address in position that assignment
(compare the field customers position to field mac-address entry if different to previous scan send the alert mail).

- Alert to duplicate IP address (send mail if find the duplicate ip address, whit type device/vlan/port).

Thanks for best work.

-e-
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

gthe wrote:
TheWitness wrote:There will be an upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0. Already done.

TheWitness
I am check revision 484 and have not found anything about Spine.
Still uses cacti_snmp_walk().

I informed on an error in database_upgrade.php:

execute_sql("Add length to Device Types Match Fields", "ALTER TABLE `mac_track_device_types` MODIFY COLUMN `sysDescr_match` VARCHAR(`100) ...... 
correct

execute_sql("Add length to Device Types Match Fields", "ALTER TABLE `mac_track_device_types` MODIFY COLUMN `sysDescr_match` VARCHAR(100) ..... 
i.e.

`
before 100

Sorry if this will be offtop.
Thanks for the update. I am remiss. Been too busy to keep working on 2.0 :(

TheWitness