Motorola Canopy

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

adjacent

Motorola Canopy

Post by adjacent »

Anyone out there have a template for Motorola Canopy products? I'd love to be able to graph registed SM's, jitter, and RSSI.
"And when the green on our graves has mouldered away, some gray warrior sitting by night at the blazing fire will tell thy deeds to his sons, and they shall bless and admire the men of old." - William Lewis Lockwood
adjacent

Post by adjacent »

OK, I've poked around and haven't found much. We are a WISP in South Carolina and it would be great to have templates for Cacti that will help us quickly set the monitoring for all of the Motorola Canopy products and SmartBridges products we have in the field. I am not very familiar with SNMP or Cacti yet, and am looking for someone that could work together with me to code the templates. Send me an email if you are interested.

scott<at>bftwave<dot>com
"And when the green on our graves has mouldered away, some gray warrior sitting by night at the blazing fire will tell thy deeds to his sons, and they shall bless and admire the men of old." - William Lewis Lockwood
adjacent

Finally =)

Post by adjacent »

Here's another hot template for all you WISP's out there using Motorola Canopy radios. This is a pair of host templates for Canopy Subscriber Modules and Canopy Access Points. (Backhauls are just a variation of these, use accordingly.) They graph RSSI and Jitter for SM's and Registered SM's for AP's and poll standard SNMP Interface stats.

I tested and wrote them with cacti 0.8.5a, please let me know of any issues.

Hijacking this post to update Templates to Cacti087b. Tested against 8.2.2 software level
Reinhard
Attachments
cacti087b_host_template_motorola_canopy_access_point.xml
New AP templates working with Cacti087b, verified against 8.2.2 Software Level
(139.17 KiB) Downloaded 1731 times
cacti087b_host_template_motorola_canopy_subscriber_module.xml
New SM templates working with Cacti087b, verified against 8.2.2 Software Level
(156.75 KiB) Downloaded 2196 times
cacti_host_template_motorola_canopy_access_point.xml
Host Template - Canopy Access Point
(115.56 KiB) Downloaded 2309 times
cacti_host_template_motorola_canopy_subscriber_module.xml
Host Template - Canopy Subscriber Module
(122.06 KiB) Downloaded 2890 times

Can't upload the template, and home temp no data

Post by Guest »

I can't seem to get the template uploaded. I'm using cacti-0.8.5a running on RH 7.3. This is a fresh install of the cacti software. I have it installed on the box that I'm currently running MRTG on to poll my Canopy and Smartbridge radios. I created my own template and I get this back when I poll the device (like it's not responding to SNMP):

I'm using the following generic OIDS:
1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.3.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.3.0

The strings I'm using in MRTG are as follows:
Target[White.RSSI]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.2.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.2.0:Canopy@10.10.150
.237:::::2

1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.3.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.3.0:Canopy@10.10.15
0.237:::::2

10/05/2004 3:45 PM - CMD: /usr/bin/rrdtool create /var/www/html/cacti/rra/rvtnwy1040_snmp_oid_
14.rrd \
--step 300 \
DS:snmp_oid:GAUGE:600:0:U \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797 \

I've verified that the community string and version are proper for the radio, as I'm using the same ones that MRTG is using and it gets the data just fine.

I've tried uploading the template from 3 different machines, both via text and the xml file. I click save and it just returns me to the upload screen, with no errors and the template never imports.

TYIA,

Brandon
adjacent

UPDATE!

Post by adjacent »

Just updated the scripts to include more functionality. Now graphing the following:

AP
---
RegCount,
GPS Sync Status,
Temp.,
Ethernet Link Status,
Traffic (In/Out)

SM
---
RSSI,
Jitter,
Power Level (dBm),
Temp.,
Session Status,
Ethernet Link Status,
Traffic (In/Out)

To use, just place the perl scripts in the <path_cacti>/scripts/ directory and import the host templates.
Attachments
cacti_host_template_motorola_canopy_access_point.xml
(133.4 KiB) Downloaded 2853 times
cacti_host_template_motorola_canopy_subscriber_module.xml
(148.99 KiB) Downloaded 3666 times
getCanopyStats.tar
Contains both perl scripts
(10 KiB) Downloaded 3348 times
abdock

cannot graph interface statistics

Post by abdock »

Hello,

Just loaded the scripts, but i cannot graph ethernet statistics,

any help on this ?
adjacent

Post by adjacent »

For ethernet stats make sure to put in the correct community string in cacti, and set SNMP version 2. Cacti actually polls the interface for ethernet stats, and not my script.

Cacti will have two options for the interface. The internal IP used by the Canopy system, in the 192.168.101 range, and the RF IP used to admin the device. I select the RF IP and graph this, but I imagine the other works also.
mclerc

Post by mclerc »

I'm having the same problem as abdock. I have imported and loaded your perl scripts/xml the ones you posted most recently and they seem to work fine, but cacti will not hit the ethernet ports to do data graphic/usage.

I'm getting this error when I hit "Verbose Query" in my device list (AP btw)

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/iwispr/public_html/cacti/lib/data_query.php on line 490

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/iwispr/public_html/cacti/lib/data_query.php:490) in /home/iwispr/public_html/cacti/host.php on line 75

edit:: Also, I'm using latest version for linux of cacti, 0.8.6c w/ all patches done to it. I've notice too that the Registered SM count and Temperatures are graphing, but no data is being reported in it....

Any ideas?
Thanks alot!
-Marc
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I've sent a note to the development team to look into this.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
raX
Lead Developer

Post by raX »

mclerc wrote:I'm getting this error when I hit "Verbose Query" in my device list (AP btw)

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/iwispr/public_html/cacti/lib/data_query.php on line 490

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/iwispr/public_html/cacti/lib/data_query.php:490) in /home/iwispr/public_html/cacti/host.php on line 75
Just to make sure I'm on the page page, you are talking about the "SNMP - Interface Statistics" data query, right?

Either way, it looks like the XML file associated with this data query is either missing or corrupt. Check to make sure you have an 'interface.xml' file under Cacti's 'resource/snmp_queries' directory. You may want to restore this file from a fresh installation just to make sure.

Are you getting the same error when trying to add the interface statistics data query to other devices?[/quote]

-Ian
mclerc

Post by mclerc »

After I import those XMLs, it gives me that error everytime I try to add a new Interface Data Query to a device, even if its not a Canopy device... But if I add the non-canopy device before I import the XMLs, it works fine....

Maybe I'm importing them wrong? I'm using Import Templates/ Browse & Select/ Upload on both.

Thanks

edit: also, I've checked the interface.xml against the original and they're both 100% exactly the same.

edit2: Even after i go through all the templates and delete everything that says motorola, it still gives me those errors........... hmm
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Sounds like a Canopy snmpd issue. Check their web site for updates.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
mclerc

Post by mclerc »

I get these warning messages everytime I try to add a device to Cacti, when I click "Verbose Query" in a device edit properties (Associated Data Queries) and it only happens after I import the XMLs posted above. I've been emailing the author of these XMLs for the past few days and he tells me it works perfect on his systems.

I only get these errors when I import the XMLs. But everything else with his XMLs work perfect, it hits my Canopy devices, and brings back and graphs all their information..... but Cacti won't do the SNMP Query so I can monitor bandwidth usage.

This is really the only problem I'm running into at this point. I have found and fixed a few initial problems with his XML and it's incompatibility with my server so it gets the information fine now, but cacti after importing his XML won't check the ethernet data usage anymore....
mclerc

Post by mclerc »

Fixed. Upon importing his XML it modified the path to the interface.xml (as well as his own perl script... atleast this is how my serverside interpreted it)

To fix the interface graphs, I went to Data Queries under Collection Methods, and went into SNMP Interface Statistics... and noticed the path to the interface.xml had the ;gamp;cacti_path;gmap; thing too, instead of < > like I had with your XMLs and the Canopy pathnames. I fixed that and it lets me collect Ethernet bandwidth stats now perfect, with no problem.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Looks like a template import/export problem. Please state your environment and I will forward to the author for interpretation.

Thanks,

TheWitness