Cacti very slow

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

optize

Cacti very slow

Post by optize »

I have about 7 devices that it polls, each device has 50-100 ports on it.

My settings are:

Type: Spine
Poller: 1 Minute
Cron: 1 minute

If I change them from 1 minute to 5 minutes, it no longer graphs and I get NaN for my data.

This box is pretty beefy, I'm not sure where the slowdown is. 9 gigs of ram,

Dual AMD Opteron 1800

Nothing else runs on it besides cacti, when I do a 'ps aux' it takes 5-10 minutes.

Top processes are php, mysql and spine.

What else can I do to make this box much happier? I'm thinking the issue it's having with not graphing correctly is due to load.
acasto

Post by acasto »

For 1 minute polling, shouldn't cron be left to run at 5 minute intervals and the poller to 1 minute? Not sure if that is causing the issues, but maybe something to look into. Also, what is your cacti.log showing as far as poller information goes?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What RRDtool? Some versions of 1.3 are big bad and slow. I suggest starting with 1.2.x and migrating to 1.3.x, once your expectations are set.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
optize

Post by optize »

TheWitness wrote:What RRDtool? Some versions of 1.3 are big bad and slow. I suggest starting with 1.2.x and migrating to 1.3.x, once your expectations are set.

TheWitness
We run rrdtool 1.2.x
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Are. Running spine? What version?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
optize

Post by optize »

SPINE 0.8.7a Copyright 2002-2007 by The Cacti Group

Is there anyone that does cacti consulting? I know cacti is fairly simple but I don't have time to mess with it and would rather pay someone, if possible.
optize

Post by optize »

If it helps, the biggest problem we're having is it gets data (most of the time) and updates the graphs, but it doesn't draw the graph.

Sadly, it happens about 14 hours of the day, and the other 8 hours or hours it works, very odd.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Please pull the SVN version branches/0.8.7 and test it. It will be released soon. This version will reduce spine load.

TheWitness

optize

Post by optize »

TheWitness wrote:Please pull the SVN version branches/0.8.7 and test it. It will be released soon. This version will reduce spine load.

TheWitness
We can do that, but I'm not sure it's going to solve things like:

http://i39.tinypic.com/14t4fte.png

Where we have the data for the graph, you can even see inbound/outbound data right now but the graph is showing no lines.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Are you using any rrdtool file editing utilities? How long has this been going on? Could it be that this is an aggregate graph and that the max value is being exceeded on the child graphs, I would think not. What does the internals of the RRDfile look like?

TheWitness

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What version of Cacti also. This needs closer attention, but I am sequestered during the working hours until after the end of march.

TheWitness

ben_c
Cacti User

Post by ben_c »

Are you rrd files on local disk or an NFS mount? I found housing rrd files on NFS slowed poll runs down considerably. Moved to an iSCSI LUN and polling rocked along again. NFS can't handle hitting so many small files quickly.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ben C,

Do you have any statistics on iSCSI vs. NFS vs. EXT3 local? I am very intersted in especially iSCSI vs. NFS.

TheWitness

ben_c
Cacti User

Post by ben_c »

Not hard data, but I can tell you with about 25k rrd's, is took about 200 seconds+ to do a poll run on NFS, and about ~85secs when I moved it to an iSCSI LUN.

NFS is simply not suited to the sort of behavior that rrdtool/cacti place on it.