Nagios Plugin: Request for Comments

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

wwwdrich
Cacti User

Post by wwwdrich »

Here is an updated version of the patch with the missing files included.
Attachments
thold-nagios.patch
(29 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
- Dan
[i] "Step up to red alert!" "Are you sure, sir?[/i]
[i] It means changing the bulb in the sign..." - Red Dwarf[/i]
flukester

some feedback

Post by flukester »

wwwdrich wrote:Here is an updated version of the patch with the missing files included.
Hi!

Thanks for posting this!

I have tested this and have made it work for my installation. I had to do a couple minor changes in the code.

This is all off the top of my head so if anybody wants more details on this I'll produce a diff and post it. I just wanted to send some feedback now before I forget about it.

First, in my installation, I have a single service defined (per host) in Nagios for all thresholds so I modified the code to pass this service name rather than attempt to produce a service name using a common prefix.

Secondly, I had troubles with the part that splits strings using the "-" delimiter. I have dashes in a lot of places in my description.

One thing I noted too is that there is one location where the number of arguments to thold_nagios was off so the description would get passed as the message (or the other way around).

I ended up simplifying the code a little just to get an actual record pushed to Nagios through the command file, assigned to the proper host and using my static nagios service name. This is all I needed and it works perfectly for my environment.

Thanks!
Antoine
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle
Or as finished as it seems in the end.
wwwdrich
Cacti User

Post by wwwdrich »

I upgraded to thold 0.4.1 on Friday, and it looks like it the code has been rewritten a bit more than I expected. Has anyone tried to add support for Nagios to this version or am I on my own here?
- Dan
flukester

Post by flukester »

wwwdrich wrote:I upgraded to thold 0.4.1 on Friday, and it looks like it the code has been rewritten a bit more than I expected. Has anyone tried to add support for Nagios to this version or am I on my own here?
Hello!

Sorry, I have no immediate plans to migrate forward from my current versions (cacti 0.8.7b, spine 0.8.7a, thold 0.3.9).

Let us know once you have it working! :)

Good luck
Antoine
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle
Or as finished as it seems in the end.
wwwdrich
Cacti User

Post by wwwdrich »

I'm doing it backwards for now -- using the check_cacti_thold plugin to check the thold tables and trigger an alert. I'm in the middle updating the plugin to support baseline thresholds, I'll send it back to the author for (hopefully) posting on nagiosexchange when I'm done.

In the meantime, from the roadmap it looks like this is going to be supported natively in thold in the not-to-distant future. Because of that, I'm not going to try and add the support to thold, I'll just bug Jimmy to add it to the plugin. :)
- Dan