Vendor Specific MIB/OID

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Swiftfeet8

Vendor Specific MIB/OID

Post by Swiftfeet8 »

I am fairly new to getting to the bare bones of MIB's and OID's. Basically what I want to know is how can I monitor a specific piece of equipment based on the vendors OID's? Do I need to load their MIB's, or can I just use the OID given (since I should know what the return value is)?

For example, if I wanted to monitor available memory on a windows OS I would look at 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.7.29. However if I try to use this OID I get nothing returned. If I try using snmpwalk I get nothing back, but according to Microsoft documentation I should see something. Even if I try to snmpwalk 1.3.6.1.4.1.311 I don't get anything.

I am sure it is something simple, but I am new to this. Thanks in advance for this newb question.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

1) cacti doesn't use manufacture specific MIBs, since it polls the OID(s) instead.

2) For virtual/physical memory, snmpwalk .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1. If you want more, then try the SNMP INFORMANT addons. Otherwise you can pull the data via WMI scripts.
Swiftfeet8

Post by Swiftfeet8 »

Does that also mean that I can't use vendor specific OID's? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

You can use any OID you want. Should read in the documentation site on how to create your own scripts/templates. Also, search the script forum for others who have already made them.
Swiftfeet8

Post by Swiftfeet8 »

Why can't I do an snmpwalk on the OID and get something returned?
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

The snmp agent isn't set up to return data for that OID. Just because google says there is an OID for some device, doesn't mean it's valid...
Swiftfeet8

Post by Swiftfeet8 »

Would I have to load the vendors MIB files in order to do an snmpwalk on that OID? Do you have any links or book suggestions on learning about OID's and MIB's?
acasto

Post by acasto »

No, if it doesn't exist at that OID then it doesn't exist. Whether or not there is a way to make it exist is another matter, but that is outside the discussion of polling it with Cacti. Think of OID and MIB roughly as you would DNS and IP addresses, an OID is a numeric listing for a particular MIB. Loading up an MIB file in a management application provides the resolution from the named MIB entry to the numeric OID one along with other information.

Adam
Swiftfeet8

Post by Swiftfeet8 »

Thank you acasto/Adam!!! That simple comparison/analogy made it "click" for me!
tindasz

Post by tindasz »

sorry disturb,

i can do snmpwalk to my server with the Vendor OID from cacti server.
the issue now i can get graph if using single OID and enter the OID in cacti, can you help me with this... how to solve this ... really need a help :(
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Please show the exact commands you use and the error you get.
2nd link of my sig may help to get a bit further down the road
R.