get a string with snmp and use it as a comment?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

maad

get a string with snmp and use it as a comment?

Post by maad »

Hi folks,

I want to get a string (OctetString) with snmp and use it as a comment in a graph.
I have a lot of small firewalls and I want to display the firmware version in the system graphs as a comment.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
acasto

Post by acasto »

I would be interested in something like this as well. I'm not sure about displaying it in the graph though. Seems like that would require more work than say for instance a plug-in that could list some information on the graph page or next to a graph. The poller strips out, for the most part, non-numerical data, so you would need to use something else to get the data. Maybe take a look at the Discovery plug-in and see if that concept could be used?

Adam
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Use of |query_<sth>| is the only known way. This works on data queries only. Data Queries fill sth called "snmp cache" to store those strings. Simple Data Input Methods don't. They do not have an XML file describing what to do with parameters; in other words: all are accepted as <direction>input</direction>.
Reinhard