Generic SNMP OIDS - Getting it to work

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

monitoringuk

Generic SNMP OIDS - Getting it to work

Post by monitoringuk »

Hi,

I have been trying for a while now to get regular OIDs to work in Cacti. I perform the following:

Create new device entering the hostname, template of Generic SNMP enabled host, SNMP version 1, community public

Create new graph with SNMP - Generic OID template, title, name and OID.

When i apply this the debug always comes back with ERROR: opening '/var/www/html/rra/ip9216_snmp_oid_120.rrd': No such file or directory

Seems to be the case with ANY that i enter even though with a SNMPwalk i get the correct value returned.

Can anyone help me? Is their something that i`m not fundementally doing?

Many thanks,
acasto

Post by acasto »

Check the poller output in the cacti.log. Try turning up the log verbosity under "Settings" -> "General" -> "Poller Specific Logging". Let it run a polling cycle and check the log file.

Some things to check:
Is "Data Source Active" checked?
Can you retrieve the snmp data from the OID manually? (snmpget)
Is your minimum and maximum within range? (The default generic template max is 100, if your returned value is greater than the max it wont be entered)

Adam
monitoringuk

Post by monitoringuk »

hi,

Can`t seem to find the active option for the data source? Also can`t seem to find the poller specific logging, the only thing i can find is poller logging level and i have now set that to high.

regards,
acasto

Post by acasto »

The "Data Source Active" option is a checkbox in the data template right under the "Step" value (which is underneath the box where you select the associated RRAs ).

The "Poller Logging Level" is the correct option. "Poller Specific Logging" is the name of that option group.

Adam
monitoringuk

Post by monitoringuk »

Hi,

Thanks for that, found the option and it is already ticked. I can alot of info in the log, is their anything inparticular that i should be looking for?

regards,