[SOLVED] Spikekill 1.0 Not Working on Linux

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

xminos
Cacti User

Post by xminos »

Thanks for creating this plugin Larry. Killspike recently stopped working (randomly at that) and I had to hack all kinds of things such as permissions and such to get that even to work a little bit.

I'll load this up and see how it goes. Appreciate your efforts!

-Tim
xminos
Cacti User

Post by xminos »

Larry,

I get the following error.

My paths are correct for rrdtool (it's been existing). Is this perhaps a permission issue? Does it run as apache or cactiuser?
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Same here...
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The httpd user must have rw to the RRDfiles. Without it, this plugin will not work. However, I could setup a command like RRDClean, but you would likely not see the results of your spike kill action immediately.

There are other options as well, but then I would have to spend more time on this, which right now, would be difficult.

I would like you all to conduct some "Analyze" run's and tweak your settings before you go hog wild using the plugin anyway.

Regards,

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
xminos
Cacti User

Post by xminos »

In my case my entire rra directory is chmod'd 0777. So completely world readable and world writable. The error I received was above.

TheWitness wrote:The httpd user must have rw to the RRDfiles. Without it, this plugin will not work. However, I could setup a command like RRDClean, but you would likely not see the results of your spike kill action immediately.

There are other options as well, but then I would have to spend more time on this, which right now, would be difficult.

I would like you all to conduct some "Analyze" run's and tweak your settings before you go hog wild using the plugin anyway.

Regards,

TheWitness
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I think this is specific to Linux/UNIX. I tested on Windows only. If you search for "/tmp" in the removespike.php file and remove the trailing "/" from the path, see if that fixes it.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
xminos
Cacti User

Post by xminos »

TheWitness wrote:I think this is specific to Linux/UNIX. I tested on Windows only. If you search for "/tmp" in the removespike.php file and remove the trailing "/" from the path, see if that fixes it.

TheWitness
I made the changes above and I still get the same error. You are correct however I am on a linux system.

I changed-

Code: Select all

}else{
        $tempdir = "/tmp/";
        $xmlfile = "/tmp/" . str_replace(".rrd", "", $rrdfile) . ".dump." . $seed;
to

Code: Select all

}else{
        $tempdir = "/tmp";
        $xmlfile = "/tmp" . str_replace(".rrd", "", $rrdfile) . ".dump." . $seed;
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

All,

I will be posting 1.0-2 momentarily. It is now tested on Linux/UNIX.

TheWitness

xminos
Cacti User

Post by xminos »

TheWitness wrote:All,

I will be posting 1.0-2 momentarily. It is now tested on Linux/UNIX.

TheWitness
Confirmed working for me. Very nice plugin TheWitness thank you so much!

-Tim