Report plugin ''ReportIt" - v0.7.5a (released 23/12/11)

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Jacket

Post by Jacket »

Hi,
Awesome plugin :)
I have two questions.
1. Is there a way to filter the results by some kind of criteria (not only sort them). For example i've added about 12000 interfaces, some of which are gigabit, and i don't want to see them in the report. Also i want to see only those lines that breach a given threshold - Average load higher than 60Mbit in my case.
2. I can't get emails to work... i have the latest "Settings" plugin, and i'm using my corporate smtp server in the settings, but mails don't arrive... is there any log i can check to see what's wrong?

Sorry if this is being discussed allready... 32 pages are way too much to read...
[size=92][i]"Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".[/i][/size]
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

Hi Jacket!

First off... many thanks for your feedback.
Till now ReportIt does not support these filter options. I would prefer to split the big one into some smaller reports, but it is absolutely a reasonable question. I think there are a lot of community members whishing for that feature.
BTW how much does it take to calculate a report with so many data items?
Regarding your second question you should contact Jimmy who is the author of "Settings". It is also important to save your configuration of the settings plugin before clicking on the "send test email" link.

But I have also a question to the Cacti Community!
Particulary with regard to the age of 0.6.1 it's important for me to publish 0.7.0 asap. Unfortunately I have not so much time to finish all features planned for that release. Especially the development of the new gaphical class (codename: phoenix) eats my time. At the present moment I would prefer to leave that part unchanged to publish 0.7.0 with all the other new features. Especially the ex- and import of report templates will make it easier for beginners to implement ReportIt.

Any feedback?

Best regards
-Andreas-
Hat das Blümchen einen Knick, war der Schmetterling zu dick! ;)
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
Download ReportIt | Download SNMPAgent | ReportIt SVN | ReportIt Templates | Wish list
killshoot
Cacti User

Post by killshoot »

Hi Brownie,

As you think for me the the feature are more needed (export from graph template :P ) that new graphs.

I think it will also be good to open a thread called "reportit howto" with some screenshot of basic template like "error report", "traffic report" etc. This topic will be closed and opened only to add screenshot or in the future, template export.
With this kind of thread you will have fewer "basic" question to answer to newbie like me :wink:

Maybe I can tell you some features that I think useful :
- One feature that can be really interressant it the possibility to include more item into one report at the same time. For exemple I need to include 17'550 item into my traffic report...

- An PDF export of the TopX report that I can easily show to my boss

On more time thank you very much for your great plugin

Regards,

Vince
Jacket

Post by Jacket »

10x for the reply :)
About the emails - test mails arrive without problem, but reportit still dont send them. But emails are not so important to me anyway.
I also noticed that archives dont work either. The zip files are in arhive/ directory (permissions are ok), but when i try to view an archived report, nothing appears (Showing Rows 1 to 0 of 0 [])
I just noticed this in the cacti log (dunno if that indicates a problem or not):

Code: Select all

03/01/2009 11:55:23 AM - PLUGIN: Poller[0] REPORTIT STATS: Cache Life Cycle:300s   Number of drops:1
About the calculation - it takes about 50-60 seconds (depending on poller runtime at this time) to calculate exactly 11376 data items. This is with Cacti rrdtool method.
This is the machine cacti runs on:
CPU: Core2Duo E8600
RAM: 8G
HDD: 2xWDC WD1500HLFS @10k RPM in RAID
Just for info this machine is processing 57000 DS's for about 19 seconds (spine + boost).
Filtering would be awesome, because i want to see only the problematic items - for instance 100mbit interface which is transferring average 60mbit/s from 18:00 to 22:00 every day. Some day this interface might be upgraded, and it shouldn't go into the report anymore :)
I think this wouldn't be so hard to implement, because we can allready set thresholds, but you are the developer, you'll say how hard it is :)
Here's a screenshot of my report:

As you can see the first 25 items are gigabit ports, only the last two (there are more below ofcourse :)) are 100mbit and are problematic. Below them are more gigabit ports which are messing the report.

P.S. i had to modify cc_items.php and cc_rrdlist.php to show more than 100 rows when adding or removing data items, because with that many items, i must click "select all" and "Add" on 114 pages :) A little drop down "Rows per page" would be nice :) In my case 11376 rows are displayed for not more than a second, and also are added and removed really fast (1-2 seconds), so no performance issues to worry about.

10x again for your time :)

Edit: Hey i just got mail from a scheduled report, Yay! :)
[size=92][i]"Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".[/i][/size]
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

killshoot wrote:Hi Brownie,

- One feature that can be really interressant it the possibility to include more item into one report at the same time. For exemple I need to include 17'550 item into my traffic report...
In 0.7.0 I implemented a global variable per user for the number of rows which should be displayed. It's also imaginable to add an additional drop-down menu.
- An PDF export of the TopX report that I can easily show to my boss
Yep. I asked another plugin developer to team up and to share his knowledge in this section. But it seems to me that he is not interested in developing ReportIt. :(

Best regards
-Andreas-
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
Download ReportIt | Download SNMPAgent | ReportIt SVN | ReportIt Templates | Wish list
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

Jacket wrote:10x for the reply :)
About the emails - test mails arrive without problem, but reportit still dont send them. But emails are not so important to me anyway.
I also noticed that archives dont work either. The zip files are in arhive/ directory (permissions are ok), but when i try to view an archived report, nothing appears (Showing Rows 1 to 0 of 0 [])
It seems to me that the archive is corrupt. Please send me an private message and attach that file, so that I can check what's going wrong with it.
I just noticed this in the cacti log (dunno if that indicates a problem or not):

Code: Select all

03/01/2009 11:55:23 AM - PLUGIN: Poller[0] REPORTIT STATS: Cache Life Cycle:300s   Number of drops:1
This is a normal syslog message that the caching table have been cleaned up. If you select a report which has been archived than ReportIt stores it automatically in the caching tables to improve the performance. With every poller cylce ReportIt checks if a cached report is unused for more than 300s (default). If that is the case it will dropped.
About the calculation - it takes about 50-60 seconds (depending on poller runtime at this time) to calculate exactly 11376 data items. This is with Cacti rrdtool method.
Sounds really good, but using the PHP bindings instead of the default type of connecting RRDtool will be much more faster (~100%). :-)
Filtering would be awesome, because i want to see only the problematic items - for instance 100mbit interface which is transferring average 60mbit/s from 18:00 to 22:00 every day. Some day this interface might be upgraded, and it shouldn't go into the report anymore :)
I think this wouldn't be so hard to implement, because we can allready set thresholds, but you are the developer, you'll say how hard it is :)
Here's a screenshot of my report:

I see! :wink:

Best regards
-Andreas-
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
karias
Cacti User

newbie reportit question

Post by karias »

Hi Andreas,

Awesome plugin! I'm just starting to use reportit and was testing out uptime. Anyone out there able to break it out uptime into days, hours, min. Currently I only have got the days, I didn't know how to get the remainder into days and minutes.
[quote][b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7b
[b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.1
[b]Poller Type[/b] - Cactid v
[b]Server Info[/b] - Linux 2.6.18-53.el5
[b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
[b]PHP[/b] - 5.1.6
[b]PHP Extensions[/b] - libxml, xml, wddx, tokenizer, sysvshm, sysvsem, sysvmsg, standard, SimpleXML, sockets, SPL, shmop, session, Reflection, pspell, posix, mime_magic, iconv, hash, gmp, gettext, ftp, exif, date, curl, ctype, calendar, bz2, zlib, pcre, openssl, apache2handler, dbase, ldap, mysqli, mysql, PDO, pdo_mysql, pdo_sqlite, snmp
[b]MySQL[/b] - 5.0.45
[b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.3rc6
[b]SNMP[/b] - 5.3.1
[b]Plugins[/b][list]Documents (docs - v0.1)
Host Info (hostinfo - v0.2)
Device Monitoring (monitor - v0.8.2)
Global Plugin Settings (settings - v0.5)
SSL Redirector (ssl - v0.1)
Thresholds (thold - v0.3.9)
Update Checker (update - v0.4)
Cacti-ReportIt (reportit - v0.6.1)[/list][/quote]
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

Till now ReportIt does not support to format the output in that way. (eg. 0 days, 21 hours, 12 min). :-(

Community:
Which other formats are also interesting???

Best regards
-Andreas-
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
ye_lou

emailing question

Post by ye_lou »

Hi browniebraun,

first of all, what a cool plugin you have!! 8)

I'm a newbie both for cacti and reportit, and just wanna ask few questions:
1. I want to use your automatic email sender, but how come I cannot find "Console"->"settings"->"Mail/DNS" in cacti console?
2. I'm starting archiving the report, and find out one of the xml file: "1236186000_1236186000.xml", can you describe what does the filename means?

Thanks a lot, sorry for my stupid question.. :oops:

Regards,
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

1. I want to use your automatic email sender, but how come I cannot find "Console"->"settings"->"Mail/DNS" in cacti console?
First off you have to install the most import plugin for Cacti called "Settings". It's the base plate for all plugins which allow to send out emails. http://cactiusers.org/downloads/settings.tar.gz
2. I'm starting archiving the report, and find out one of the xml file: "1236186000_1236186000.xml", can you describe what does the filename means?
It describes the begin and the end of the reporting period of that report by using Unix timestamps. That allows to create the drop-down menu at the top of the report view without reading the xml files.

Best regards
-Andreas-

PS: Your questions are not stupid! ;-)
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
rootfive

Post by rootfive »

First of all, thanks for your great code reportit. Which will be very useful for me to generate customer bandwidth usage. I am still in testing and playing with it. After I saw your brief manual, it gives me more idea what I can do.
Just one question, I am not sure it is feature request. Can it be done like http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=30192 to generate pdf output. I am not familiar with coding or I am not a programmer and I do not know what to do with XML. If it can generate PDF report with graph like above link, it would be great.

Thanks and regards,
R5
ye_lou

Post by ye_lou »

Wooww.. thanks a lot for your quick reply.. :D
browniebraun
Developer

Post by browniebraun »

rootfive wrote:First of all, thanks for your great code reportit. Which will be very useful for me to generate customer bandwidth usage. I am still in testing and playing with it. After I saw your brief manual, it gives me more idea what I can do.
Just one question, I am not sure it is feature request. Can it be done like http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=30192 to generate pdf output. I am not familiar with coding or I am not a programmer and I do not know what to do with XML. If it can generate PDF report with graph like above link, it would be great.

Thanks and regards,
R5
Till now ReportIt does not have that feature and it won't be included within the next release, too. I offered Phalek a seat within the ReportIt team, but till now he did not agree. :-( From my point of view working together would make more sense to get one universal reporting tool for Cacti.

Best regards
-Andreas-
reportit v0.7.5a
SNMPAgent v0.2.3
rootfive

Post by rootfive »

browniebraun wrote:
rootfive wrote:First of all, thanks for your great code reportit. Which will be very useful for me to generate customer bandwidth usage. I am still in testing and playing with it. After I saw your brief manual, it gives me more idea what I can do.

Thanks and regards,
R5
Till now ReportIt does not have that feature and it won't be included within the next release, too. I offered Phalek a seat within the ReportIt team, but till now he did not agree. :-( From my point of view working together would make more sense to get one universal reporting tool for Cacti.

Best regards
-Andreas-
Thanks for your reply. I think some type of unity is not there. Probably it will end up with a lot of plugin :). I wish I can help you. But I am totally nob nob to programming. I should learn php ......

Kindest regards,
R5
zarahel

Post by zarahel »

Good afternoon to you all

I´m trying to run reportit on my Cacti. I´m able to create report templates, but when I´m trying to add a report configuration, i get an "Not authorised" warning.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

Thkx