Clear cacti graphs

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

SjoerdvW

Clear cacti graphs

Post by SjoerdvW »

Is it posible to clear all cacti graphs at ones?
I also would like to clear the last fail (in the monitor plugin).
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

What do you mean by "clear". Remove the Graphs completely or remove the _data_ shown by the graphs?
Reinhard
baxford

Post by baxford »

I would also like to be able to clear out the data associated with a graph. Leave the device, data source, and graph but just clear the data. I have moved to 1 minute polling and I understand that my 5 minute graphs will never show the 1 minute data unless recreated. It would be nice to be able to wipe the data and start over with 1 minute polling.
baxford

Post by baxford »

If you cannot convert the 5 minute graphs to 1 minute graphs then what is the best way to start over? Delete and recreate each graph?
[b]Cacti Version - 0.8.7b[/b]
Plugin Architecture - 2.1
Poller Type - spine-0.8.7c-beta3-win32
Server Info - Windows Server 2003 x86
Web Server - IIS6.0
PHP - 5.2.6
MySQL - 5.0.67-community-nt
RRDTool - 1.2.26
SNMP - 5.4.2
Plugins:
Thresholds (thold - v0.3.9)
Global Plugin Settings (settings - v0.5)
Realtime for Cacti (realtime - v0.32)
Network Discovery (discovery - v0.8.4)
Network Tools (tools - v0.3)
Update Checker (update - v0.4)
Cacti-ReportIt (reportit - v0.6.1)
Real-time statistics (zond - v0.34)
Device Tracking (mactrack - v1.1)
RRD File Cleaner (RRD Cleaner - v0.34)
Host Info (hostinfo - v0.2)
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Due to restrictions of rrdtool, it is not possible to convert a step=300 rrd file to a step=60 rrd file.
If you drop an existing rrd file, cacti will re-create it based on the current definitions stored in the data source. But these definitions will still hold the structure for a step=300 rrd file.
Currently there is no official interface to mass change the data sources to step=60 rrd files, even with dropping data.
And if you "simply" change the data template referred, existing data sources will NOT be changed. So this won't serve as a workaround.
So, yes, I currently do not see any chance avoiding to re-create the graphs from scartch
Reinhard
baxford

Post by baxford »

I just deleted the RRD file and it is now polling and showing 1 minute interval readings. Does this make sense? Deleting the RRDs is a lot easier then recreating the data sources and graphs.
[b]Cacti Version - 0.8.7b[/b]
Plugin Architecture - 2.1
Poller Type - spine-0.8.7c-beta3-win32
Server Info - Windows Server 2003 x86
Web Server - IIS6.0
PHP - 5.2.6
MySQL - 5.0.67-community-nt
RRDTool - 1.2.26
SNMP - 5.4.2
Plugins:
Thresholds (thold - v0.3.9)
Global Plugin Settings (settings - v0.5)
Realtime for Cacti (realtime - v0.32)
Network Discovery (discovery - v0.8.4)
Network Tools (tools - v0.3)
Update Checker (update - v0.4)
Cacti-ReportIt (reportit - v0.6.1)
Real-time statistics (zond - v0.34)
Device Tracking (mactrack - v1.1)
RRD File Cleaner (RRD Cleaner - v0.34)
Host Info (hostinfo - v0.2)
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

You will have to run "rrdtool info" against the new rrd file to make sure.
Cacti 088 will support a new feature to compare cacti defs to the current rrd file defs (yesterday I implemented the base part of it), so your info won't get lost
Reinhard
baxford

Post by baxford »

gandalf wrote:You will have to run "rrdtool info" against the new rrd file to make sure.
Cacti 088 will support a new feature to compare cacti defs to the current rrd file defs (yesterday I implemented the base part of it), so your info won't get lost
Reinhard
I ran "rrdtool info" on the new rrd and it does show a step value of 60. But it also shows a heartbeat of 600?? The heartbeat should always be 2x the step value, right?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

baxford wrote:
gandalf wrote:You will have to run "rrdtool info" against the new rrd file to make sure.
Reinhard
I ran "rrdtool info" on the new rrd and it does show a step value of 60. But it also shows a heartbeat of 600?? The heartbeat should always be 2x the step value, right?
That's the rule of thumb. But it's not a must. From man rrdcreate (V1.3.current)

Code: Select all

The HEARTBEAT and the STEP
       Here is an explanation by Don Baarda on the inner workings of RRDtool.  It may help you to sort out why
       all this *UNKNOWN* data is popping up in your databases:

RRDtool gets fed samples/updates at arbitrary times. From these it builds Primary Data Points (PDPs) on
       every "step" interval. The PDPs are then accumulated into the RRAs.

The "heartbeat" defines the maximum acceptable interval between samples/updates. If the interval between
       samples is less than "heartbeat", then an average rate is calculated and applied for that interval. If the
       interval between samples is longer than "heartbeat", then that entire interval is considered "unknown".
       Note that there are other things that can make a sample interval "unknown", such as the rate exceeding
       limits, or a sample that was explicitly marked as unknown.

The known rates during a PDP’s "step" interval are used to calculate an average rate for that PDP. If the
       total "unknown" time accounts for more than half the "step", the entire PDP is marked as "unknown". This
       means that a mixture of known and "unknown" sample times in a single PDP "step" may or may not add up to
       enough "known" time to warrent for a known PDP.

The "heartbeat" can be short (unusual) or long (typical) relative to the "step" interval between PDPs. A
       short "heartbeat" means you require multiple samples per PDP, and if you don’t get them mark the PDP
       unknown. A long heartbeat can span multiple "steps", which means it is acceptable to have multiple PDPs
       calculated from a single sample. An extreme example of this might be a "step" of 5 minutes and a "heart-
       beat" of one day, in which case a single sample every day will result in all the PDPs for that entire day
       period being set to the same average rate. -- Don Baarda <don.baarda@baesystems.com>
              time|
              axis|
        begin__|00|
               |01|
              u|02|----* sample1, restart "hb"-timer
              u|03|   /
              u|04|  /
              u|05| /
              u|06|/     "hbt" expired
              u|07|
               |08|----* sample2, restart "hb"
               |09|   /
               |10|  /
              u|11|----* sample3, restart "hb"
              u|12|   /
              u|13|  /
        step1_u|14| /
              u|15|/     "swt" expired
              u|16|
               |17|----* sample4, restart "hb", create "pdp" for step1 =
               |18|   /  = unknown due to 10 "u" labled secs > 0.5 * step
               |19|  /
               |20| /
               |21|----* sample5, restart "hb"
               |22|   /
               |23|  /
               |24|----* sample6, restart "hb"
               |25|   /
               |26|  /
               |27|----* sample7, restart "hb"
        step2__|28|   /
               |22|  /
               |23|----* sample8, restart "hb", create "pdp" for step1, create "cdp"
               |24|   /
               |25|  /

graphics by vladimir.lavrov@desy.de.
Reinhard