Upgrade path to 0.8.7a that doesn't break anything

Support for the Plugin Architecture

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

turlockaviator

Upgrade path to 0.8.7a that doesn't break anything

Post by turlockaviator »

Hello...
We're still sitting here at Cacti 0.8.6j because of the fear of what might happen to the existing plug-in architecture and all of our plugins if we attempt to upgrade to 0.8.7a. Right now, all of our plugins work. These include:
- php weathermap
- Thold
- Monitor Plugin
- Superlinks

But from my research, seems this might not be the case if I attempt the upgrade, especially if the particular plugin hasn't been updated.

Guess what I'm looking for is advice. Anyone attempted this upgrade with one or more of these plugins with success?

Anything to look out for? Any guides out there?

TIA

-Chris
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Plugin support is not maintained by The Cacti Group, at least not currently. And it is possible, that not all plugins have already been implemented for 087. Those you've mentioned should be fine.

Here's a small abstract how to make sure your update will be fine. It works by installing cacti087 in parallel to your existing cacti:
  • Copy the whole cacti database to e.g. cacti087 (use e.g. phpmyadmin). Provide database access for cactiuser to that db as well
  • Install 087 cacti to e.g. /var/www/html/cacti087
  • Configure ./include/config.php to reflect those settings
  • Copy all own resources from old ./resources/* to new one. Same holds for scripts. Do NOT overwrite new files by old ones
  • Provide directory write access and stuff as given in the cacti installation manual, but apply to new cacti installation
  • DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO CRONTAB FOR NOW! This will be a read only cacti for the time being
  • Now, point your web browser to the new cacti installation path. Cacti should show, that the NEW DATABASE WAS ACCEPTED. DOUBLE CHECK THIS OR YOU WILL RUN A PRODUCTION UPGRADE. If this is ok, cacti will perform database upgrade scripts on the copied database, which should be fine
  • next step shows all paths. CHANGE PATHS ACCORDING TO YOUR NEW INSTALLATION
  • To make RRD files available, you may either create a symlink to old rra folder or copy the whole rra folder
  • Now install plugin arch and all plugins as usual. Verify them one by one.
  • Last, you may verify the poller by running in manually (If using cactid, you will have to switch to spine prior to running the poller)
All this is from memory. If in doubt, please post
Reinhard
turlockaviator

Thanks!!!!

Post by turlockaviator »

Thanks Gandalf. Sounds like a weekend project to tackle. Database always worries me as I've not touched it since initially setting things up about the middle of last year.

Appreciate the step-by-step. Fortunately, the linux OS that I'm running all of this under is actually on one of my VMware ESX servers...so not only do I get to snapshot the system before I make any changes. But I also shutdown the guest OS and backup the vmdk files in advance. So I'm really protected if something goes awry.

Regards,
Chris
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Well, I lately did sth very similar. It takes about half an hour. But I'm quite used to it, running 5 parallel cacti installations on my laptop :wink:
The import issue is to verify, that database upgrade works fine (that's why I suggested a db copy) and then install plugins one by one.
Reinhard
scpetand

Post by scpetand »

Maybe go for a supported version of Cacti.
http://www.op5.com/op5/products/statistics
Just run yum update and you have upgraded:-)

Regards
Peter Andersson