rrdtool 1.3 (and 1.2.28) font/text problem

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

matthys

rrdtool 1.3 (and 1.2.28) font/text problem

Post by matthys »

After my Gentoo box did an upgrade of rrdtool to version 1.2.28 all fonts within the graphs are not correctly lined out. I mean ... that tabs are not fixed. I set the font to /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuMonoSans.ttf (under Settings, Visual), which is a mono-space font. So text is lined out correctly .. but tabs or spaces NOT.

I also did an upgrade to rrdtool version 1.3.4 with the same results.

Anyone any clue?

Cheers,
Matthijs
khufure
Cacti User

Re: rrdtool 1.3 (and 1.2.28) font/text problem

Post by khufure »

matthys wrote:After my Gentoo box did an upgrade of rrdtool to version 1.2.28 all fonts within the graphs are not correctly lined out. I mean ... that tabs are not fixed. I set the font to /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuMonoSans.ttf (under Settings, Visual), which is a mono-space font. So text is lined out correctly .. but tabs or spaces NOT.

I also did an upgrade to rrdtool version 1.3.4 with the same results.

Anyone any clue?

Cheers,
Matthijs
1.3.x had this behavior for me. 1.2.27 does not. I didn't try 1.2.28 but here's the changelog:
https://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/rrd- ... 14478.html

Can you downgrade to 1.2.27?
thenextdon13

Post by thenextdon13 »

Hello-
I had a very similar problem, and after searching the forums and other i think i've found the solution.

It appears that the handoff from Cacti into RRDTool does not honor the 'default font path' listed on settings->paths for graphs in rrdtool >= 1.2.8.

This means you need to put the same path into the settings->visual->
Default RRDtool 1.2 Fonts paths areas.

Its interesting that the seettings->paths used to work and now does not, with only an upgrade to rrdtool.

HTH
matthys

Post by matthys »

Yep .. did downgrade to 1.2.27 and all is fine again. But I had to mask rrdtool as the latest version for Gentoo is now 1.2.28!

AND AGAIN ... setting a font DIDN'T solve the tabs/spaces issue I had. And YES, I had to set a font to get things correct for the text (none at all with 1.2.28 ) but for the tabs/spaces it was not lined out correctly. No clue why .. but hope it will be fixed in the future.

Cheers,
Matthijs
nightwisher

Post by nightwisher »

Same problem in gentoo and downgrade rrdtool to 1.2.27 !
pva

Post by pva »

Please, check rrdtool-1.2.28-r1 and if there any problems with it report at bugs.gentoo.org. Missing graphs problem was fixed in bug 254331:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245331
blaforest

Post by blaforest »

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, could someone please tell me how to apply the above patch? Still very new to Linux so I'm not sure how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pva

Post by pva »

If you are using Gentoo the only thing you need to do is to unmask rrdtool-1.2.28-r1. For this just do:

# echo "=net-analyzer/rrdtool-1.2.28-r1" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge -1va =net-analyzer/rrdtool-1.2.28-r1

That's all. Don't forgive to read Gentoo handbook about mixing branches.

If you are not using Gentoo then unpack sources
$ tar -zxvf /vt/portage/distfiles/rrdtool-1.2.28.tar.gz
download patch
$ wget 'http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=170717' -O rrdtool-revert-font-fix.patch
and patch
$ cd rrdtool-1.2.28
$ patch -i ../rrdtool-revert-font-fix.patch -p0

If something unclear read man patch and search google.
khufure
Cacti User

Post by khufure »

pva wrote:$ patch -i ../rrdtool-revert-font-fix.patch -p0
Ahh... there it is! Hopefully this is included in the latest packages from the distros by default soon.
MarianoL

Post by MarianoL »

I have same problem with RRDTool 1.3.4 but in Fedora 8. I tried using DejaVuSansMono, LucidaConsole, Consola and VeraMono TTF fonts, but always happens the same.
There's a fix for monospaced fonts issue in graphs with RRDTool >= 1.2.28, without to do a downgrade?
Thanks in advance

Regards
khufure
Cacti User

Post by khufure »

MarianoL wrote:I have same problem with RRDTool 1.3.4 but in Fedora 8. I tried using DejaVuSansMono, LucidaConsole, Consola and VeraMono TTF fonts, but always happens the same.
There's a fix for monospaced fonts issue in graphs with RRDTool >= 1.2.28, without to do a downgrade?
When I tried 1.3.x myself, I found it got a lot of segfaults in Apache. 1.3 is not supported in cacti. So I think you should downgrade. 1.2.27/28(with patch) is approximately equivalent in performance.
steevel

Post by steevel »

thenextdon13 wrote:Hello-
It appears that the handoff from Cacti into RRDTool does not honor the 'default font path' listed on settings->paths for graphs in rrdtool >= 1.2.8.

This means you need to put the same path into the settings->visual->
Default RRDtool 1.2 Fonts paths areas.
I can second that this actually fixes the problem, without either downgrading or patching the rrdtool.
I added font paths to all "* Font File" options under Settings -> Visual -> Default RRDtool 1.2 Fonts

sl.
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Tobi Oetiker is working on it. He told us, that next week a new version is likely to appear.
Reinhard