Windows 2000 Scripts

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

dennisd

Windows 2000 Scripts

Post by dennisd »

I've searched the forums rather well, and have not seen a whole lot about monitoring Win2000 machines with Cacti, in particular disk space, cpu, etc. Anyone care to jump in and get me pointed in the right direction?

All my machines are Microsoft based operating systems.

Thanks

Dennis :o
kberrien

Monitor W2K Machines

Post by kberrien »

I wish I could help you, but I'm kinda in the same boat myself. I am able to monitor disk usage from my cacti box (linux) to my W2k server.

CPU usage, traffic, have all been ellusive. Has anyone out there had success in polling Windows machines? Are there any catches?
Burvil

Post by Burvil »

I've been able to monitor pages/sec, %CPU usage, and a slew of other stats using the Compaq MIBs. The catch here - you ?may? need a compaq box to do this, and you need to install the insight management agents from HP's website. (I think you need version 7 to get the Win2k-specific stuff). It's been working fine for me for the past week or two.

I got the OIDs from http://www.mibdepot.com/cgi-bin/vendor_ ... &id=225859, and created data templates based on those. In particular, there is a WINOS MIB, http://www.mibdepot.com/cgi-bin/vendor_ ... &id=225859, that provides many of the counters available from perfmon. In addition, if you look at the mibdepot site, you'll find other MIBs that relate to the health of the server, i.e. temperatures at different locations, status of the fans, etc.

I've heard of other people having success with SNMP Informant, http://www.snmp-informant.com/, which you would have to install on the Win2k box. I tried it, with no success. I emailed the developer for help, and I get the sense it's something with the way the Win2k box is set up, i.e. with permissions or something. Let me know if you get this to work, as I still have some non-Compaq machines to set up....
kberrien

Success

Post by kberrien »

Actually, I had a breakthrough session last night working on my Cacti install. I was able to get my traffic graphs working finally (all boxen), and got everything I wanted to work on my Windows 2k server, except CPU usage.

Not totally sure what I did different though.... I was trying all sorts of stuff.
dennisd

Re: Success

Post by dennisd »

All boxen ??

Dennis
kberrien wrote:Actually, I had a breakthrough session last night working on my Cacti install. I was able to get my traffic graphs working finally (all boxen), and got everything I wanted to work on my Windows 2k server, except CPU usage.

Not totally sure what I did different though.... I was trying all sorts of stuff.
kberrien

All boxen....

Post by kberrien »

Yeah, all boxen, as in all my boxes or more than one ox - oxen :D :D

I wiped my Cacti install, and reinstalled, and resetup and had even better success. My config was a mess, I had permissions issues etc...

Now, I can use all the built in methods and collect data from my 2K/XP/2K3 boxes - EXCEPT for CPU usage! I get 1 item, 1 row in associated data query (below):

+ Running data query [9].
+ Found type = '4 '[script query].
+ Found data query XML file at '/var/www/html/cacti/resource/script_queries/host_cpu.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ Executing script for list of indexes '/usr/bin/php -q /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php juno.x.is-a-geek.net public 1 index'
+ Executing script query '/usr/bin/php -q /var/www/html/cacti/scripts/query_host_cpu.php juno.x.is-a-geek.net public 1 query index'
+ Found item [hrProcessorFrwID='0'] index: 0

I'd love to get that working, and more advanced info, such as msde stats, dns.

I've noted some posts about using Compaq MIB's, which I might try (as of yet know sure how too integrate them into cacti/graphs), there is a third party app which can help, something Sentry (I'd like to avoid more s/w), and nsclient with Nagios. But I'm not really interested in getting involved in something as big as Nagios at this point.

My understanding you have to use Nagios with nsclient, you just can't use the nsclient with cacti.
dennisd

Re: All boxen....

Post by dennisd »

Maybe thats what I should try uninstall/install again.

Thanks,

Dennis :D

[quote="kberrien"]Yeah, all boxen, as in all my boxes or more than one ox - oxen :D :D

I wiped my Cacti install, and reinstalled, and resetup and had even better success. My config was a mess, I had permissions issues etc...
kberrien

Post by kberrien »

Burvil wrote:and created data templates based on those. In particular, there is a WINOS MIB,
I have a bunch of Compaq servers I want to monitor (now that I've moved my Cacti experimentation out of the home office, to work). Is there any good docs, tutorials on making data templates, to graphs, etc... from bare OID's?

Perhaps an example of how you created one of your graphs?
dennisd

Post by dennisd »

So far I've been able to get Cacti to see my Cisco Routers and switches, seems to detect any of the interfaces and VLANS if present, my WIN2000 boxes it only seems to see the network cards - all seem to be reporting back activity on those interfaces, so nothing earth shattering there - Cacti seems the interfaces and creates the graphs correctly. As for my WIN2000 boxes, I'm still struggling, no graph activiy on CPU, Disk, but it does seem my Processes and number of attached users. I've not seen much on use of bare OIDS with Cacti, anyone care to spill the beans on how to do it?

Dennis
kberrien wrote:
Burvil wrote:and created data templates based on those. In particular, there is a WINOS MIB,
I have a bunch of Compaq servers I want to monitor (now that I've moved my Cacti experimentation out of the home office, to work). Is there any good docs, tutorials on making data templates, to graphs, etc... from bare OID's?

Perhaps an example of how you created one of your graphs?
kberrien

Windows successes

Post by kberrien »

dennisd wrote:As for my WIN2000 boxes, I'm still struggling, no graph activiy on CPU, Disk, but it does seem my Processes and number of attached users.
So, it seems your one shy of successes, that being Disk usage. How about clicking on Devices, select a Win2k box, in associated data queries, click verbose query on SNMP - Get mounted partitions, and post the results here.

I get fine disk results, though my Win2k server at home doesn't have physical memory (shows only virual), unlike my servers at work which show both.

My NT boxes at work, I can't even get any snmp traffic form them!

As for the CPU, I'm convinced it just doesn't work with windows boxes.