New install, and I have something wrong

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

konrad

New install, and I have something wrong

Post by konrad »

I have been trying to get Thold working, and I get the "Last Poll: Poller has not yet ran!" error.

From searching the forums, I see that this usually has to do with one of a two things. First would be incorrect versions. Second would be messing up some setting.

For versions, this is everything I have installed Cacti wise:

Cacti 0.8.7b
cacti-plugin-0.8.7b-PA-v2.1
settings 0.5
discovery 0.8.4
thold 0.3.9

Those should all work together, so I think it is the second problem, settings. After digging around for quite a while, I have not figured out where the issue is.

I followed the very simple directions on the thresholds management page, and everything seemed to work.

For the templates there are three that I made, that correspond to three temperatures I am graphing. On the Thold Templates page, they show up like this:

Data Template Data Source Name High Low Trigger Repeat Email
SNMP MBM Localhost Case-MoBo snmp_oid 50 10 1 12
SNMP MBM Localhost CPU Core snmp_oid 60 20 1 12
SNMP MBM Localhost CPU Remote snmp_oid 55 15 1 12

Those are tied to a data template I made to get motherboard and CPU temperatures from Mother Board Monitor 5 via SNMP Informant. The data is graphed all on one graph, and looks really pretty, so I know I am at least collecting the data I want to try thold out on.

But no matter what I do, Auto Create, play with the template, etc. I never get any elements on the Threshold Management page.

One other thing I noticed is that if I follow the "'Data Sources' -> 'select a host' (on top) -> and click the 'Template Name / Click for THold' section for the desired element" instructions, there is never a value in the high or low thresholds. Even if I set one, it never shows up. That may be because the page is only to change them, and no show them, or it may be related to the issue. I don't have a clue which.

So after a full days trying to get this to work, and reading the forums, I have decided to ask others and see if someone knows what is wrong, or if you can at least link posts that I might have missed.

If there is any other information you need, please let me know.
sumitohri

HI

Post by sumitohri »

Where did u get the thold documentation from...

I am new to Cacti... I installed Cacti on win2k3 and everything's fine..

I installed Thold as per the http://cactiusers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1432

but I can't see anything under Plugin Management.... do i need to import any database for Thold...

Could you please shed some light on installing thold
konrad

Post by konrad »

That URL you posted is for monitor, not thold.

The thold docs are not really in one place. The basics of the install is on the http://cactiusers.org/wiki/Homepage page, which is for all plugins. But inside the thold archive, there is a readme that says to install the settings plugin first. That is easy enough to do.

The configuration docs are actually on the pages it adds. They are very simple, and seem to be the same instructions that everyone is following. I checked several posts that confirm this.

The real thold docs are under revision because thold has been migrated from a module by Aurelio DeSimone to a plugin by Jimmy Conner. Until Mr. Conner can get some time to finalize the docs, I immagine they will be spread out.

But with something as changing and under funded as most open source projects are, I never expect the docs to catch up. Which is why there are forums like these.

I am beginning to think that it is something about my customized data collection that it does not like.

I don't intend on using cacti to monitor traditional hosts and routers, so the pre-built templates are of no use to me. That is why I started with a custom template.

I may just have to monitor a cisco somewhere on our net just to get thold results to confirm it is working. Then I can go back to getting it to work with the custom stuff I build. If I can manage that, then I can build out templates for the things I will be monitoring, and have them work with thold.
sumitohri

Threshold setup

Post by sumitohri »

Thanks Konrad for the quick reply.

I have setup the Thold and settings plugin, with 'Settings' before 'Thold' under my global.php, but still am unable to see thold under Plugin Management Screen

Am not sure what I am missing here....

I have -

Cacti 0.8.7b
settings 0.5
discovery 0.8.4
thold 0.3.9
SQL - 5.0.51

Also when I check the Cacti Logs.. I have the following SQL error -

06/23/2008 03:38:01 PM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: SQL Assoc Failed!, Error:'1146', SQL:"select thold_data.cdef, thold_data.rra_id, thold_data.data_id, thold_data.lastread, thold_data.oldvalue, data_template_rrd.data_source_name as name, data_template_rrd.data_source_type_id from thold_data LEFT JOIN data_template_rrd on (data_template_rrd.id = thold_data.data_id) WHERE data_template_rrd.data_source_name != '' AND thold_data.rra_id = 17 OR thold_data.rra_id = 16 OR thold_data.rra_id = 15 OR thold_data.rra_id = 14 OR thold_data.rra_id = 13 OR thold_data.rra_id = 12 OR thold_data.rra_id = 9 OR thold_data.rra_id = 10 OR thold_data.rra_id = 8 OR thold_data.rra_id = 11"
konrad

Post by konrad »

Did you go to user management for your admin user and check "Configure Thresholds" and "View Thresholds"?
sumitohri

Post by sumitohri »

konrad wrote:Did you go to user management for your admin user and check "Configure Thresholds" and "View Thresholds"?

I don't have those listed under the user management either.... that's the whole problem... I am sure I followed the steps under the readme and couple other threads.... :(
konrad

Post by konrad »

Then look at database issues.

http://forums.cacti.net/about16947.html

Still has little to do with my problem, the post you added to.
sumitohri

Post by sumitohri »

Konrad ... i was able to fix the issue... it wasn't the dbase issue... prob just some permissions on the folders that did not take affect until i rebooted the system....
asaf

Re: New install, and I have something wrong

Post by asaf »

Hi,
Did you solve this i have same problems. cant change the template setting.
Please help if you can thanks,
konrad wrote:I have been trying to get Thold working, and I get the "Last Poll: Poller has not yet ran!" error.

From searching the forums, I see that this usually has to do with one of a two things. First would be incorrect versions. Second would be messing up some setting.

For versions, this is everything I have installed Cacti wise:

Cacti 0.8.7b
settings 0.5
discovery 0.8.4
thold 0.3.9

Those should all work together, so I think it is the second problem, settings. After digging around for quite a while, I have not figured out where the issue is.

I followed the very simple directions on the thresholds management page, and everything seemed to work.

For the templates there are three that I made, that correspond to three temperatures I am graphing. On the Thold Templates page, they show up like this:

Data Template Data Source Name High Low Trigger Repeat Email
SNMP MBM Localhost Case-MoBo snmp_oid 50 10 1 12
SNMP MBM Localhost CPU Core snmp_oid 60 20 1 12
SNMP MBM Localhost CPU Remote snmp_oid 55 15 1 12

Those are tied to a data template I made to get motherboard and CPU temperatures from Mother Board Monitor 5 via SNMP Informant. The data is graphed all on one graph, and looks really pretty, so I know I am at least collecting the data I want to try thold out on.

But no matter what I do, Auto Create, play with the template, etc. I never get any elements on the Threshold Management page.

One other thing I noticed is that if I follow the "'Data Sources' -> 'select a host' (on top) -> and click the 'Template Name / Click for THold' section for the desired element" instructions, there is never a value in the high or low thresholds. Even if I set one, it never shows up. That may be because the page is only to change them, and no show them, or it may be related to the issue. I don't have a clue which.

So after a full days trying to get this to work, and reading the forums, I have decided to ask others and see if someone knows what is wrong, or if you can at least link posts that I might have missed.

If there is any other information you need, please let me know.